An introduction to the group

Roberto C. Delgadillo

Nov 16, 2012, 11:01:26 AM11/16/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Thank you for the opportunity to introduce myself.  My name is Roberto C. Delgadillo. I'm a subject bibliographer with the Peter J. Shields Library at the University of California, Davis. One of my areas of responsibility is Literatures in English. From time to time I'm asked to showcase our collections.  I requested and was tasked with putting together a display of our Steampunk book titles  and associated research materials--needless to say... I'm hooked into this field--And so in the course of putting a together a bibliography for our students to use I noted this group and its interests. I've created a visual bibliography of the aforementioned collection on Pinterest. Take a look at this link:

I plan on updating it from time to time to reflect scholarship in this exciting field. Saludos, Roberto

--
"History is quite cruel..."

Peter Kenez
Professor of History, UCSC

Lisa Hager

Nov 18, 2012, 11:04:33 PM11/18/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roberto,

I really like the idea of a visual bibliography for something like steampunk. Is this something that librarians are increasingly using?

Best,
Lisa

University of Wisconsin-Waukesha
1500 North University Dr.
Waukesha, WI 53188-2720
Office: 129 Westview
lisa....@uwc.edu || www.lisahager.net || @lmhager
Pronouns: she, her, and hers
Managing Editor, Journal of Victorian Culture Online
www.victorianculture.com || @JofVictCulture

Roberto C. Delgadillo

Nov 19, 2012, 3:03:19 AM11/19/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lisa,

Yes it's catching on...we find that a lot of students relate and or process info in a visual format and more readily than say looking a plain , printed bibliography...nice thing is they--the Pinterest boards-- be created on the fly...that's something faculty like when they seek materials that reflect whatever course they 're teaching ...look for instance at the Pinterest board I created on the US Mexico border region...anyway hope this answered your question ...saludos, Roberto

Lisa Hager

Nov 19, 2012, 10:43:41 AM11/19/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Good to know! I'm now thinking of having my students do this as part of their final projects in my Brit Lit survey course.

Also, here's another steampunk bibliography board by a friend of mine: http://pinterest.com/rogerwhitson/steampunk/

Best,
Lisa

Roberto C. Delgadillo

Nov 20, 2012, 12:59:51 PM11/20/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lisa,

Oh that's great and thanks for the Pinterest board link...saludos, Roberto