New member

Mihai Balaj

Jun 22, 2012, 9:01:03 PM6/22/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello, all

I have just joined this group. My name is Mihai Balaj, I'm currently working on my MA dissertation paper on Steampunk. One of the chapters  of my paper, aims to put steampunk in the context of neo-Victorianism and victoriana. While the differences between  Victoriana, neo-Victorianism and Steampunk are quite clear, I have some troubles understanding the relationship between neo-Victorianism and steampunk, if there is indeed a relationship between the two. Is neo-Victorianism part of steampunk or is steampunk part of neo-Victorianism? Is there any article (preferably in an on-line format) that I could read? So far, from what I read neo-Victorianism is a postmodern  reinterpretation of the Victorian times and the definition of steampunk seems to overlap the definition of neo-Victorianism, then is steampunk a narrower form of neo-Victorianism, focused on SF? If this is the case then why did both terms appear, if one already includes the other?

Jaymee Goh

Jun 22, 2012, 9:37:04 PM6/22/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mihai,

Welcome! Mike Perschon is finishing up his dissertation on steampunk as aesthetic as well. You may want to ping him, or check out his blog where he lists a bunch of secondary readings: http://steampunkscholar.blogspot.ca/p/steampunk-scholarly-secondary-sources.html (If he's too busy, ping me, I've got a few of the articles he has listed.)

It might be useful to consider what aspect of steampunk you're focusing on, because the relationship between steampunk and Neo-Victorianism can differ depending on what the angle is. I find the discourse on the literature very different from the discourse happening in fandom / subculture (and even within the subculture, it varies depending on region and aspect). (My own MA project took up steampunk from a postcolonial perspective, rejecting neo-Victorianism as a defining aspect of steampunk.)

You might also want to consider where exactly the term steampunk comes from (Jeter's joke) and how it has been taken up (I've heard that it gained serious steam in 2008 with the "Steampunk Treehouse" art exhibit at Burning Man) versus how neo-Victorianism has been taken up (which has been a subset / aspect of the goth subculture). Jess Nevins also has an essay in one of the Vandermeer anthologies arguing that steampunk has more of a relationship to the Edisonades than to actual Neo-Victorianism (which I think is more a literary thing).

Good luck!

- Jha

On 22 June 2012 21:01, Mihai Balaj <mikebl...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Austin Sirkin

Jun 22, 2012, 11:10:53 PM6/22/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
I'll also submit these two short articles that I wrote on the subject of what exactly Steampunk is, or is not:

You may or may not find them helpful, but they deal with some common misconceptions about what Steampunk is, even within the Steampunk community.

Austin

Mihai Balaj

Jun 29, 2012, 4:30:34 AM6/29/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
I'll use your article about the steampunk secret on my presentation ..... on the fourth....

vineri, 22 iunie 2012, 20:10:53 UTC-7, Austin Sirkin a scris:

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Jaymee Goh <jhame...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Austin Sirkin

Jun 29, 2012, 4:42:16 AM6/29/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
By all means, feel free! If you have any further questions in that area, don't hesitate to drop me a line about it. I'm happy to answer questions. =)

Good luck with your presentation!

Austin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/steam-scholars/-/XGcBc9gbdJkJ.