Web Api Key ...

Whiteclaws

Sep 15, 2013, 6:49:52 PM9/15/13
to steam-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi there ,
I recently discovered this library for Java, and I would like to access some people's backpacks , but ... the problem is that I want to get an API key , but not necesseraly make a website for it ... just use it in my java project , I know I can set the api key with WebApi.setApiKey(String) , but how would I get it if my application doesn't have a website ?

Sincerely,
Whiteclaws

Sebastian Staudt

Sep 16, 2013, 12:41:53 AM9/16/13
to steam-condenser
You can get one at http://steamcommunity.com/dev/apikey even if your application itself doesn't have a website at the given domain. Just use a domain that's somehow linked to yourself. Valve probably allows subdomains here, so you might not even need to own a domain yourself. The domain is not that important, I guess.

Sam Kinard

Sep 16, 2013, 6:17:00 PM9/16/13
to steam-c...@googlegroups.com
+1 to domain not being that important. I used the domain of the company I work for, which has nothing to do with valve or what I needed my API key for. My request went through just fine.

Sebastian Staudt

Sep 17, 2013, 2:47:31 AM9/17/13
to steam-condenser
The problem here is that Valve has one API key per Steam account.

So in fact you link your application(s) to your private account if you don't create a new Steam account for every application.
This might get problematic when you get banned or similar.