Intriguing article from MIT Technology Review: the Golden Age of innovation is behind us

thompsco

May 18, 2016, 1:16:00 PM5/18/16
to SteadyStaters
I know this has been a dormant forum but the linked article from the MIT Technology Review is quite good.  Lots to ponder for anyone who likes to ponder human civilization.  The points are ones that get muttered quietly here in Silicon Valley in California:

FWIW (for what it's worth) for me the article strengthens a hunch that in hindsight we'll see modern civilization defined by three big themes as follows:

1870 to 1970: scientific and technological revolution
1960 to 2030: social revolution
2020 to 2100: coming to terms with living on a finite planet

Keith Hudson

May 18, 2016, 3:27:49 PM5/18/16
to steady...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks.  It's prompted me to write todays blog.

Keith

John deC.

May 19, 2016, 12:46:37 PM5/19/16
to SteadyStaters
Thanks for the link. Interesting article.I see the main divisions of modern civilization slightly differently. 1879 to 1970 - scientific and technological revolution. 1960 to 2000 - information and social revolution. 2000 to collapse of industrial civilization (TBD) - failing to come to terms with finiteness of planet Earth.

One of the reasons I stopped contributing to or reading this forum was that I think we badly need a completely different way of thinking about what the economy is, what its purposes are, and how to think about it so it contributes to good public policy decisions. When I first studied economics in the 1980s it seemed obvious that most and perhaps ALL of its basic assumptions are wrong. Economics goes on by using faulty logic to build an elegant edifice of thought on this precarious foundation. I have not even been able to get a decent argument started about this idea, so I finally just stopped participating. This was an interesting experience, since it seems to illustrate the fact that in any system of thought the fundamental prejudices manifested in the discipline's essential premises are virtually impossible for practitioners to examine or consider changing.

biz modl

May 19, 2016, 1:14:13 PM5/19/16
to steady...@googlegroups.com

which means that your 'system' reflects your prejudices, right?   J

have fun,    biz

John deC.

May 20, 2016, 11:39:20 AM5/20/16
to SteadyStaters
Biz! It's good to hear from you....long time no speak. Yes, my view, like anybody's, will naturally reflect my biases, prejudices, and blind spots. The point I was trying to make, apparently unsuccessfully, was that economics as conventionally thought about is grounded in numerous premises about people, the world, and the way things work that are demonstrably false. That's all.

Darrell Prince`

May 20, 2016, 11:50:03 AM5/20/16
to steady...@googlegroups.com
That's both profound to our society and blatantly obvious to people both economically literate and willing to evaluate statements on their merit, and not on  their value to their check books.

Federal Revenue increase on top rate income, can be reliably modeled with a three term, 8th grade algebra model, and disregarded as the trash of an idea and a false hood that it is.

--
Darrell Prince

The Rectification of Names (Chinese: 正名; pinyin: Zhèngmíng; Wade–Giles: Cheng-ming) is the Confucian doctrine that to know and use the proper designations in the web of relationships creates meaning, a community, and  ensures social harmony is The Good.
see also BRANDING, ROLE DEVELOPMENT