Fwd: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Wed, Oct 08, 2014

Fr. Nicholas Hadzellis

Oct 8, 2014, 1:32:13 AM10/8/14
to Daily Readings St D St D

Fr Nicholas Hadzellis
St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
2020 NW 21st ST
Fort Worth, TX 76164

Sent from my mobile office!

Begin forwarded message:

From: dailyr...@GOARCH.ORG
Date: October 7, 2014 at 11:01:05 PM CDT
To: DAILYR...@LISTSERV.GOARCH.ORG
Subject: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Wed, Oct 08, 2014

+ + + + + + + + +

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America DAILYREADINGS Listserver

Help us to continue offering and expanding this ministry by making a secure online donation at: http://idonations.goarch.org

Unsubscribe information is at the end of this email

Take the daily readings with you everywhere!  Download the 2013-2014 Digital Planner to add the Saints, Feasts, and Daily Readings to your Digital Calendar or PDA for free! Also, download the DailyReadings App for your Apple iOS, Android, Windows, and Kindle Fire Mobile Devices! All of this and more are available at http://www.goarch.org/chapel

+ + + + + + + + +

Daily Scripture Readings and Lives of the Saints for Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Strict Fast

Feasts and Saints celebrated today:

    Pelagia the Righteous
    Pelagia the Virgin-martyr of Antioch
    Taisia the Harlot of Egypt

Readings for today:

    St. Paul's Letter to the Ephesians 5:25-33
    Luke 6:46-49, 7:1

Pelagia the Righteous

Reading from the Synaxarion:

This Saint was a prominent actress of the city of Antioch, and a pagan, who lived a life of unrestrained prodigality and led many to perdition. Instructed and baptized by a certain bishop named Nonnus (Saint Nonnus is commemorated Nov. 10), she departed for the Mount of Olives near Jerusalem, where she lived as a recluse, feigning to be a eunuch called Pelagia. She lived in such holiness and repentance that within three or four years she was deemed worthy to repose in an odour of sanctity, in the middle of the fifth century. Her tomb on the Mount of Olives has been a place of pilgrimage ever since.

Apolytikion in the Plagal of the Fourth Tone
The image of God, was faithfully preserved in you, O Mother. For you took up the Cross and followed Christ. By Your actions you taught us to look beyond the flesh for it passes, rather to be concerned about the soul which is immortal. Wherefore, O Holy Pelagia, your soul rejoices with the angels.

Kontakion in the Second Tone
With fasting didst thou consume thy body utterly; with vigilant prayer didst thou entreat thy Fashioner that complete forgiveness of thy former deeds be granted thee, which, O Mother, thou didst receive.  The path of repentance hast thou shown to us.

The content on this page is under copyright and is used by permission. All rights reserved. These works may not be further reproduced, in print or on other websites or in any other form, without the prior written authorization of the copyright holder:
    Reading (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Apolytikion (c) Narthex Press
    Kontakion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Epistle Reading

The reading is from St. Paul's Letter to the Ephesians 5:25-33

BRETHREN, husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. Even so husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no man ever hates his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. "This mystery is a profound one, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church; however, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Gospel Reading

The reading is from Luke 6:46-49, 7:1

The Lord said, "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you? Every one who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep, and laid the foundation upon rock; and when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But he who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation; against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great." After he had ended all his sayings in the hearing of the people he entered Capernaum.

Learn more by visiting the Online Chapel at: http://onlinechapel.goarch.org

Note that the information contained in this email is protected by copyright and has been used with permission.  The content disseminated on this list is for personal use only.  Please respect the copyright permission granted by not transferring this content, publishing to any web site, or archiving via any means. If you would like to forward this email to others, please forward the email in its entirety including all headers, footers, and copyright notices.

The DAILYREADINGS list is being made possible by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Department of Internet Ministries.  http://internet.goarch.org