Fwd: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Fri, Oct 17, 2014

Fr. Nicholas Hadzellis

Oct 17, 2014, 9:01:42 AM10/17/14
to Daily Readings St D St D

Fr Nicholas Hadzellis
St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
2020 NW 21st ST
Fort Worth, TX 76164

Sent from my mobile office!

Begin forwarded message:

From: dailyr...@GOARCH.ORG
Date: October 16, 2014 at 11:01:00 PM CDT
To: DAILYR...@LISTSERV.GOARCH.ORG
Subject: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Fri, Oct 17, 2014

+ + + + + + + + +

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America DAILYREADINGS Listserver

Help us to continue offering and expanding this ministry by making a secure online donation at: http://idonations.goarch.org

Unsubscribe information is at the end of this email

Take the daily readings with you everywhere!  Download the 2013-2014 Digital Planner to add the Saints, Feasts, and Daily Readings to your Digital Calendar or PDA for free! Also, download the DailyReadings App for your Apple iOS, Android, Windows, and Kindle Fire Mobile Devices! All of this and more are available at http://www.goarch.org/chapel

+ + + + + + + + +

Daily Scripture Readings and Lives of the Saints for Friday, October 17, 2014

Strict Fast

Feasts and Saints celebrated today:

    Hosea the Prophet
    Holy Martyrs Cosmas and Damian of Arabia
    Andrew the Righteous Monk-martyr of Crete

Readings for today:

    St. Paul's Letter to the Romans 9:18-33
    Luke 9:12-18

Hosea the Prophet

Reading from the Synaxarion:

According to some, Hosea, whose name means "God is help," was from the tribe of Issachar, or more likely, from that of Reuben; he was the son of Beeri. He is the first in order of the twelve minor Prophets and the most ancient of all. He prophesied in the days of the divided Kingdom; the Lord told him to take a harlot to wife (Hosea 1:2), and then an adulteress (ibid., 3:1). The harlot, a known sinner, was a figure of the Kingdom of Israel in Samaria, which openly worshipped idols; the adulteress, lawfully married yet sinning secretly with her lovers, was a figure of the Kingdom of Judah in Jerusalem, which, while having the Temple, and the priesthood, and the divine worship according to the Law, stealthily served the idols also. The Prophet Hosea prophesied for sixty years, and lived for some ninety years, from 810 to 720 B.C. His book is divided into fourteen chapters.

Apolytikion in the Second Tone
As we celebrate the memory of Thy Prophet Hosea, O Lord, through him we beseech Thee to save our souls.

Kontakion in the Plagal of the Fourth Tone
Initiated by divine illumination, thou wast deemed worthy of the lofty gift of prophecy and foretoldest of the promise of grace, O Prophet.  O Hosea, since thou dwellest in God's glory now, do thou rescue from all manner of adversity us who cry to thee:  Rejoice, thou vessel of grace divine.

The content on this page is under copyright and is used by permission. All rights reserved. These works may not be further reproduced, in print or on other websites or in any other form, without the prior written authorization of the copyright holder:
    Reading (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Apolytikion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Kontakion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Andrew the Righteous Monk-martyr of Crete

Reading from the Synaxarion:

Saint Andrew was from the island of Crete, where he lived the monastic life. During the reign of Constantine Copronymus, he came to Constantinople and suffered many things in defence of the veneration of the holy icons. Finally, he was dragged through the market, bound by the feet, one of which was severed by a fishmonger wielding a cleaver, and thus the Saint surrendered his spirit unto God in the year 761. His sacred relics were buried at a certain place called "The Judgment."

Apolytikion in the Fourth Tone
Trained on the mountain in ascetical labours, with the whole armour of the Cross thou didst vanquish the spiritual arrays of unseen enemies; and when thou hadst stripped thyself with great courage for contest, thou didst slay Copronymus with the sword of the true Faith.  For both these things hast thou been crowned by God, O righteous Martyr, blest Andrew of great renown.

Kontakion in the Third Tone
On this day the Church of Christ with great rejoicing observeth the resplendent festival of thine illustrious mem'ry summoning all of the faithful to come together.  She is glad, for she possesseth the precious treasure of thy much-afflicted body, O Martyr Andrew, light of the Orthodox Faith.

The content on this page is under copyright and is used by permission. All rights reserved. These works may not be further reproduced, in print or on other websites or in any other form, without the prior written authorization of the copyright holder:
    Reading (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Apolytikion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Kontakion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Epistle Reading

The reading is from St. Paul's Letter to the Romans 9:18-33

BRETHREN, God has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills. You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" But who are you, a man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me thus?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for beauty and another for menial use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience the vessels of wrath made for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for the vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory, even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? As indeed he says in Hosea, "Those who were not my people I will call 'my people,' and her who was not beloved I will call 'my beloved."' "And in the very place where it was said to them, 'You are not my people,' they will be called 'sons
of the living God."'And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: "Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved; for the Lord will execute his sentence upon the earth with rigor and dispatch." And as Isaiah predicted, "if the Lord of hosts had not left us children, we would have fared like Sodom and been made like Gomorrah." What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteoueness have attained it, that is, righteousness through faith; but that Israel who pursued the righteousness which is based on law did not succeed in fulfilling that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it through faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, as it is written, "Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone that will make men stumble, a rock that will make them fall; and he who believes in him will not be put to shame."

Gospel Reading

The reading is from Luke 9:12-18

At that time, the twelve came and said to him, "Send the crowd away, to go into the villages and country round about, to lodge and get provisions; for we are here in a lonely place." But he said to them, "You give them something to eat." They said, "We have no more than five loaves and two fish -- unless we are to go and buy food for all these people." For there were about five thousand men. And he said to his disciples, "Make them sit down in companies, about fifty each." And they did so, and made them all sit down. And taking the five loaves and the two fish he looked up to heaven, and blessed and broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the crowd. And all ate and were satisfied. And they took up what was left over, twelve baskets of broken pieces. Now it happened that as he was praying alone the disciples were with him.

Learn more by visiting the Online Chapel at: http://onlinechapel.goarch.org

Note that the information contained in this email is protected by copyright and has been used with permission.  The content disseminated on this list is for personal use only.  Please respect the copyright permission granted by not transferring this content, publishing to any web site, or archiving via any means. If you would like to forward this email to others, please forward the email in its entirety including all headers, footers, and copyright notices.

The DAILYREADINGS list is being made possible by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Department of Internet Ministries.  http://internet.goarch.org