Fwd: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Tue, Oct 14, 2014

Fr. Nicholas Hadzellis

Oct 14, 2014, 8:12:48 AM10/14/14
to Daily Readings St D St D

Fr Nicholas Hadzellis
St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
2020 NW 21st ST
Fort Worth, TX 76164

Sent from my mobile office!

Begin forwarded message:

From: dailyr...@GOARCH.ORG
Date: October 13, 2014 at 11:01:00 PM CDT
To: DAILYR...@LISTSERV.GOARCH.ORG
Subject: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Tue, Oct 14, 2014

+ + + + + + + + +

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America DAILYREADINGS Listserver

Help us to continue offering and expanding this ministry by making a secure online donation at: http://idonations.goarch.org

Unsubscribe information is at the end of this email

Take the daily readings with you everywhere!  Download the 2013-2014 Digital Planner to add the Saints, Feasts, and Daily Readings to your Digital Calendar or PDA for free! Also, download the DailyReadings App for your Apple iOS, Android, Windows, and Kindle Fire Mobile Devices! All of this and more are available at http://www.goarch.org/chapel

+ + + + + + + + +

Daily Scripture Readings and Lives of the Saints for Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Feasts and Saints celebrated today:

    Nazarius, Gervasius, Protasius, & Celsus of Milan
    Cosmas the Hagiopolite
    Praised Ignatius, Archbishop of Methymna
    Righteous Paraskeve of Serbia
    Justinian the Emperor and his wife Theodora
    Panteleimon the New Martyr of Asia Minor

Readings for today:

    St. Paul's Letter to the Philippians 1:8-14
    Luke 8:1-3

Nazarius, Gervasius, Protasius, & Celsus of Milan

Reading from the Synaxarion:

The holy Martyrs all contested for piety's sake in Milan; after the passage of much time their holy relics were discovered and given honourable burial by Saint Ambrose.

Apolytikion in the Fourth Tone
Thy Martyrs, O Lord, in their courageous contest for Thee received as the prize the crowns of incorruption and life from Thee, our immortal God.  For since they possessed Thy strength, they cast down the tyrants and wholly destroyed the demons' strengthless presumption.  O Christ God, by their prayers, save our souls, since Thou art merciful.

Kontakion in the Second Tone
In shedding the light of miracles like shining lamps, O Martyrs of God, ye make the whole creation bright, at all times dispelling the deepest night of sickness and maladies and without cease pleading with Christ, the only God, that He grant His mercy to us.

The content on this page is under copyright and is used by permission. All rights reserved. These works may not be further reproduced, in print or on other websites or in any other form, without the prior written authorization of the copyright holder:
    Reading (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Apolytikion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Kontakion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Cosmas the Hagiopolite

Reading from the Synaxarion:

Saint Cosmas was from the Holy City, Jerusalem, and was a contemporary and peer of Saint John of Damascus (Dec. 4), with whom also he was reared when, because of his orphanhood he was adopted by Sergius, Saint John's father, and with whom he had the same instructor. About the year 743, he was elected Bishop of Maiuma, a coastal city of Palestine, aforetime under the jurisdiction of Gaza, with the name Port Gaza. During the reign of Saint Constantine the Great, it became a separate township and at that time was renamed Constantia, after Constantine, the son of the Emperor (see Sozomen, Eccl. Hist., V:3). Cosmas became an excellent hymnographer, from whence he is called "the Composer and Melodist," Among his many compositions are the Canon of the Cross (Sept. 14) and the Canon for the Nativity of Christ, "Christ is born, give ye glory."

Apolytikion in the Plagal of the Fourth Tone
You are a guide of Orthodoxy, a teacher of piety and modesty, a luminary of the world, the God inspired pride of monastics. O wise Cosmas , you have enlightened everyone by your teachings. You are the harp of the Spirit. Intercede to Christ our God for the salvation of our souls.

Kontakion in the Plagal of the Fourth Tone
Adorned with virtues, O blest Cosmas, and inspired of God, thou didst become a fair adornment of the Church of Christ, and with sacred songs, O Father, didst thou adorn her.  Intercede thou with the Lord that He deliver us out of all the devices of the enemy, for we cry to thee:  Rejoice, O thrice-blessed Father.

The content on this page is under copyright and is used by permission. All rights reserved. These works may not be further reproduced, in print or on other websites or in any other form, without the prior written authorization of the copyright holder:
    Reading (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Apolytikion (c) Narthex Press
    Kontakion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Righteous Paraskeve of Serbia

Reading from the Synaxarion:

Saint Paraskeve was born in Thrace in the eleventh century. In her youth she went to Constaninople, and thence journeyed to the Holy Land in pursuit of the ascetical life. After struggling for many years in the wilderness of the Jordan, she was moved by God to return to her homeland. She continued her monastic labours there for a few more years, and then reposed in peace.

Apolytikion in the Fourth Tone
Thou didst love a silent and solitary life, and didst fervently follow Christ thy Bridegroom. And having taken His easy yoke in thy youth, and having courageously armed thyself with the sign of the Cross against thy spiritual enemies, thou didst extinguish the coals of passions with thy tears, with ascetic labours, fasting, and prayer, O glorious Paraskeve. And now, as thou standest in the heavenly bridal chamber with the wise virgins in the presence of Christ, pray for us who venerate thine honourable memory.

Kontakion in the Plagal of the Second Tone
Let us all piously praise most honourable Paraskeve, the holy intercessor for those in affliction.  For she gave up her earthly life and received an incorruptible life for ever.  Wherefore, she hath won glory and the grace of wonderworking by the command of God.

The content on this page is under copyright and is used by permission. All rights reserved. These works may not be further reproduced, in print or on other websites or in any other form, without the prior written authorization of the copyright holder:
    Reading (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Apolytikion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Kontakion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Epistle Reading

The reading is from St. Paul's Letter to the Philippians 1:8-14

BRETHREN, God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruits of righteousness which come through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. I want you to know, brethren, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel, so that it has become known throughout the whole praetorian guard and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ; and most of the brethren have been made confident in the Lord because of my imprisonment, and are much more bold to speak the word of God without fear.

Gospel Reading

The reading is from Luke 8:1-3

At that time Jesus went on through cities and villages, preaching and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him, and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, and Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their means.

Learn more by visiting the Online Chapel at: http://onlinechapel.goarch.org

Note that the information contained in this email is protected by copyright and has been used with permission.  The content disseminated on this list is for personal use only.  Please respect the copyright permission granted by not transferring this content, publishing to any web site, or archiving via any means. If you would like to forward this email to others, please forward the email in its entirety including all headers, footers, and copyright notices.

The DAILYREADINGS list is being made possible by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Department of Internet Ministries.  http://internet.goarch.org