Fwd: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Thu, Oct 30, 2014

Fr. Nicholas Hadzellis

Oct 30, 2014, 11:01:18 AM10/30/14
to Daily Readings St D St D

Fr Nicholas Hadzellis
St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
2020 NW 21st ST
Fort Worth, TX 76164

Sent from my mobile office!

Begin forwarded message:

From: dailyr...@GOARCH.ORG
Date: October 29, 2014 at 11:01:06 PM CDT
To: DAILYR...@LISTSERV.GOARCH.ORG
Subject: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Thu, Oct 30, 2014

+ + + + + + + + +

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America DAILYREADINGS Listserver

Help us to continue offering and expanding this ministry by making a secure online donation at: http://idonations.goarch.org

Unsubscribe information is at the end of this email

Take the daily readings with you everywhere!  Download the 2013-2014 Digital Planner to add the Saints, Feasts, and Daily Readings to your Digital Calendar or PDA for free! Also, download the DailyReadings App for your Apple iOS, Android, Windows, and Kindle Fire Mobile Devices! All of this and more are available at http://www.goarch.org/chapel

+ + + + + + + + +

Daily Scripture Readings and Lives of the Saints for Thursday, October 30, 2014

Feasts and Saints celebrated today:

    Cleopas, Apostle of the 70
    The Holy Martyrs Zenobius and His Sister Zenobia

Readings for today:

    St. Paul's Letter to the Colossians 1:24-29, 2:1
    Luke 11:14-23

Cleopas, Apostle of the 70

Apolytikion in the Third Tone
O Holy Apostles, intercede to our merciful God, that He may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.

The content on this page is under copyright and is used by permission. All rights reserved. These works may not be further reproduced, in print or on other websites or in any other form, without the prior written authorization of the copyright holder:
    Apolytikion (c) Narthex Press

The Holy Martyrs Zenobius and His Sister Zenobia

Reading from the Synaxarion:

These Saints were from Aegae in Cilicia, brought up in piety by their parents. Zenobius was a physician, and healed many freely by the power of God; because of his virtue he was consecrated Bishop of Aegae. With his sister he was taken by Lysias the Governor, and after many tortures they were beheaded, about the year 290, during the reign of Diocletian.

Apolytikion in the Fourth Tone
Thy Martyrs, O Lord, in their courageous contest for Thee received as the prize the crowns of incorruption and life from Thee, our immortal God.  For since they possessed Thy strength, they cast down the tyrants and wholly destroyed the demons' strengthless presumption.  O Christ God, by their prayers, save our souls, since Thou art merciful.

Kontakion in the Plagal of the Fourth Tone
With songs inspired by God, let us now render honour, as is due unto Zenobius and wise Zenobia, the pair of siblings in the flesh, who proclaimed true religion; those two martyrs of truth, who, passing their lives as one, also received together through martyrdom crowns that shall not fade.

The content on this page is under copyright and is used by permission. All rights reserved. These works may not be further reproduced, in print or on other websites or in any other form, without the prior written authorization of the copyright holder:
    Reading (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Apolytikion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Kontakion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Epistle Reading

The reading is from St. Paul's Letter to the Colossians 1:24-29, 2:1

BRETHREN, now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church, of which I became a minister according to the divine office which was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now made manifest to his saints. To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Him we proclaim, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man mature in Christ. For this I toil, striving with all the energy which he mightily inspires within me. For I want you to know how greatly I strive for you.

Gospel Reading

The reading is from Luke 11:14-23

At that time, Jesus was casting out a demon that was dumb; when the demon had gone out, the dumb man spoke, and the people marveled. But some of them said, "He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of demons"; while others, to test him, sought from him a sign from heaven. But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls. And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace; but when one stronger than he assails him and overcomes him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted, and divides his spoil. He who is not with me is against me, an
d he who does not gather with me scatters."

Learn more by visiting the Online Chapel at: http://onlinechapel.goarch.org

Note that the information contained in this email is protected by copyright and has been used with permission.  The content disseminated on this list is for personal use only.  Please respect the copyright permission granted by not transferring this content, publishing to any web site, or archiving via any means. If you would like to forward this email to others, please forward the email in its entirety including all headers, footers, and copyright notices.

The DAILYREADINGS list is being made possible by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Department of Internet Ministries.  http://internet.goarch.org