Fwd: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Thu, Oct 16, 2014

Fr. Nicholas Hadzellis

Oct 16, 2014, 1:01:26 PM10/16/14
to Daily Readings St D St D

Fr Nicholas Hadzellis
St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
2020 NW 21st ST
Fort Worth, TX 76164

Sent from my mobile office!

Begin forwarded message:

From: dailyr...@GOARCH.ORG
Date: October 15, 2014 at 11:01:00 PM CDT
To: DAILYR...@LISTSERV.GOARCH.ORG
Subject: [DAILYREADINGS] Daily Readings for Thu, Oct 16, 2014

+ + + + + + + + +

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America DAILYREADINGS Listserver

Help us to continue offering and expanding this ministry by making a secure online donation at: http://idonations.goarch.org

Unsubscribe information is at the end of this email

Take the daily readings with you everywhere!  Download the 2013-2014 Digital Planner to add the Saints, Feasts, and Daily Readings to your Digital Calendar or PDA for free! Also, download the DailyReadings App for your Apple iOS, Android, Windows, and Kindle Fire Mobile Devices! All of this and more are available at http://www.goarch.org/chapel

+ + + + + + + + +

Daily Scripture Readings and Lives of the Saints for Thursday, October 16, 2014

Feasts and Saints celebrated today:

    Longinus the Centurion

Readings for today:

    St. Paul's Letter to the Philippians 1:20-27
    Matthew 27:33-54

Longinus the Centurion

Reading from the Synaxarion:

This Martyr was in the service of Pontius Pilate at the time of Christ our Saviour's Passion. While standing guard at the Cross and beholding the earthquake and all that came to pass, he cried out with fear, "Truly this was the Son of God" (Matt. 27:54). After the Resurrection, he forsook the military and departed for Cappadocia, his homeland, where he preached Christ. By the agency of Pontius Pilate, Tiberius Caesar had him arrested and beheaded.

Apolytikion in the Fourth Tone
Thy Martyr, O Lord, in his courageous contest for Thee received the prize of the crowns of incorruption and life from Thee, our immortal God.  For since he possessed Thy strength, he cast down the tyrants and wholly destroyed the demons' strengthless presumption.  O Christ God, by his prayers, save our souls, since Thou art merciful.

Kontakion in the Fourth Tone
With great joy the Church of Christ today rejoiceth on the festive memory of blest Longinus, the all-famed and godly prizewinner.  And she doth cry out:  O Christ, my foundation and might art Thou.

The content on this page is under copyright and is used by permission. All rights reserved. These works may not be further reproduced, in print or on other websites or in any other form, without the prior written authorization of the copyright holder:
    Reading (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Apolytikion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA
    Kontakion (c) Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Brookline, MA

Epistle Reading

The reading is from St. Paul's Letter to the Philippians 1:20-27

BRETHREN, I shall not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If it is to be life in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again. Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ.

Gospel Reading

The reading is from Matthew 27:33-54

At that time, when the soldiers came to a place called Golgotha (which means the place of a skull), they offered him wine to drink, mingled with gall; but when he tasted it, he would not drink it. And when they had crucified him, they divided his garments among them by casting lots; then they sat down and kept watch over him there. And over his head they put the charge against him, which read, "This is Jesus the King of the Jews." Then two robbers were crucified with him, one on the right and one on the left. And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads and saying, "You who would destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross." So also the chief priests, with the scribes and elders, mocked him, saying, "He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him; for
 he said, 'I am the Son of God.'" And the robbers who were crucified with him also reviled him in the same way.

Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" And some of the bystanders hearing it said, "This man is calling Elijah." And one of them at once ran and took a sponge, filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave it to him to drink. But the others said, "Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to save him." And Jesus cried again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.

And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom; and the earth shook, and the rocks were split; the tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many. When the centurion and those who were with him, keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe, and said, "Truly this was the Son of God!"

Learn more by visiting the Online Chapel at: http://onlinechapel.goarch.org

Note that the information contained in this email is protected by copyright and has been used with permission.  The content disseminated on this list is for personal use only.  Please respect the copyright permission granted by not transferring this content, publishing to any web site, or archiving via any means. If you would like to forward this email to others, please forward the email in its entirety including all headers, footers, and copyright notices.

The DAILYREADINGS list is being made possible by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Department of Internet Ministries.  http://internet.goarch.org