Bannatyne/McDermot

Anders Swanson

Sep 29, 2010, 12:19:51 PM9/29/10
to Downtown Winnipeg Cycling, stbonifa...@googlegroups.com, River East, North Winnipeg Commuter Cyclists
Hi,

This is going out to the downtown group, as well as the 3 groups that tie into McDermot/Bannatyne from Waterfront Drive (the north, northeast and southeast via Esplanade Riel, The Forks and/or Annabella.)

* * *

For those of you trying to decipher what's going on and/or concerned about the bike lanes, I'll try and provide some helpful background info:

In terms of budget, this has very little to do with cycling. It's more about walking and wheelchair access. The traffic volume and speed is so low here that most cyclists would be OK even without the bike lane.  This is a project that started being built 2 years ago. Most of the bike lanes have been painted since 2008-2009. It has all gone very smoothly. This project is 95% complete, so there must be an issue between Rorie and Waterfront. The plans were to convert the very last block of McDermot to one-way to have room to put sidewalks in. To put in sidewalks and keep it two-way, I think you would have to cut down trees. Also, this block is the only block on McDermot that is not already a one-way, and it is likely being done in part to make things safer for drivers where the two sections meet.  I don't think any parking is removed at all.

See the attached images: I spent just 5 minutes here yesterday between meetings, and I managed to get some really good photos demonstrating the problem the city is trying to solve. Note the footprints/ trails in the grass where people are have been walking without a sidewalk. Note the picture showing the two women walking on the road itself. This is also fixing a real accessibility issue because wheelchair users (who can't use dirt paths or "step" off curbs.) are forced onto the road. . .

Imagine not having sidewalks downtown in a residential area of a major Canadian city that is quickly becoming a residential area. . . .  Also, note that downtown used to have all two-way streets. Now it is full of one-ways and people are used to it. IMO, People will get used to this too, given the chance.

* * *

Here is some other background info, from the city's website.

* * *

I really don't know what's actually going or what concerns have been raised or why the very last block to be completed would be cancelled, especially now.

There are few businesses here, mainly parking lots. The open houses on this projects started in 2008 and continued into 2010. I do know that compared to any other project, Public Works has spent a tremendous amount of effort and money on all of the cycling infrastructure projects to get and incorporate meaningful community consultation. Hopefully, a solution will be found to whatever problems there are ASAP. I've certainly done everything I can to get the word out and try to predict any problems.

Lastly, I've always noted that positive responses are always the last to get a public airing in the media. So, if you like the progress so far on the other projects, and/or are excited about the prospects of the new ones being built, the best thing you can do is to write then paper and/or email your councillor/Mayor.

Hope this helps,
Anders
IMG_9348B.jpg
IMG_9347B.jpg