[Bike to the Future] Late May newsletter

Bike to the Future

May 24, 2010, 11:15:19 PM5/24/10
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello Bike to the Future members and supporters. This newsletter contains the following items:

1. Minutes from our May Monthly Meeting
2. Our next Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday June 8th at the Sport for Life Centre
3. Commuter Challenge (next week)
4. International Trails Day
5. Winnipeg's Cycling Hall of Shame
6. Wanted: "good news" Winnipeg cycling stories
7. Three new Can-Bike II instructors
8. Spring Bike Counts continue -- volunteers needed
9. Bike to Work Day
10. Bike Shorts Film Festival (Winnipeg bicycle culture event)
11. Winter cycling priority routes
12. Wanted: volunteers to help out at various summer events
13. BttF membership

Kevin Miller
Bike to the Future, Co-Chair
http://biketothefuture.org
_____________________________

Minutes from our May Monthly Meeting

The May Monthly Meeting minutes have been posted at http://biketothefuture.org/about/meetings.
____________________________

Our next Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday June 8th at the Sport for Life Centre

Bike to the Future meets on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 5:30. Anyone is welcome to attend.

As we discussed at our January Monthly Meeting, we're moving the monthly meeting to the Sport For Life Centre (Sport Manitoba's new home at 145 Pacific Ave in the east Exchange) on a trial basis.

A tentative agenda for the June Monthly Meeting has been posted at http://biketothefuture.org/events/archives/2010/05/22/june-monthly-meeting.
____________________________

Commuter Challenge (next week)

The 11th annual Commuter Challenge is a national sustainable transportation event celebrated during Environment Week. Participate to get fit, reduce pollution, save money, and have fun! Bike, walk, roll, take transit, carpool, or work from home during Challenge week (May 30th to June 5th), and you will be entered to win great prizes -- including a new bike. Prizes are also awarded to workplaces with the highest participation rates.

More info (including workplace registration and registering as an employee)
____________________________

International Trails Day

Saturday June 5th

International Trails Day is dedicated to celebrating trails, trail development, and the healthy lifestyles that trails encourage. Join in festivities at 6 trails events at 5 Winnipeg trails!

Details
____________________________

Winnipeg's Cycling Hall of Shame

Winnipeg roads are hard on cyclists. The Hall of Shame contains a photo and a short description of the worst examples of roads and other infrastructure from a cycling perspective.
____________________________

Wanted: "good news" Winnipeg cycling stories

We're creating a candy jar of "good news" Winnipeg cycling stories and media releases. Send stories/ideas to us at con...@biketothefuture.org.
____________________________

Three new Can-Bike II instructors

Congratulations to BttF Safety & Education Committee Director Dave Elmore, BttF Co-Chair Curt Hull, and former BttF Provincial Committee Director Jeremy Hull for passing the Can-Bike II instructors exam.

Dave, Curt, and Jeremy are now qualified to teach Can-Bike I and Can-Bike II courses, and they can also bring other potential cycling safety instructors up to the Can-Bike II level so that the new instructor is then qualified to teach a Can-Bike I course. We hope to expand the pool of instructors from the current 3 to at least 10 to 12.

Any workplaces or BttF members who are interested in taking a Can-Bike I or Can-Bike II course (or who are interested in becoming a qualified Can-Bike I instructor) should contact us.

BttF's Safety & Education page
____________________________

Spring Bike Counts continue -- volunteers needed

For the past three years, volunteers from Bike to the Future have been counting cyclists at key locations in Winnipeg during morning and afternoon rush hours. The counts take place during the first week of April, May, and June. If you are able to help out by volunteering to do a two hour shift, or would like more information, please contact Jeremy Hull.
____________________________

Bike to Work Day

June 25th is Winnipeg's 3rd annual Bike to Work Day. On this day we invite and encourage Winnipeggers to ride their bikes to work, be part of their community, and be involved in the growing trend of active transportation.

biketoworkdaywinnipeg.org
____________________________

Bike Shorts Film Festival (Winnipeg bicycle culture event)

The Bike Shorts Film Festival has been shown in a number of Canadian cities, including Winnipeg, since 2008. BttF is pleased to again host a Winnipeg bicycle culture event with new International films, new Winnipeg-produced films, and a Winnipeg Bike Art Display.

The date(s) and details are still being determined.

The submission deadline for the International Bike Shorts Film Festival is June 1st. bikeshorts.ca

Please contact Shona Kusyk with your submissions of Winnipeg bike films and Winnipeg bike art, or for info about films and art. There will be prizes for the "fan favorites".

____________________________

Winter cycling priority routes

The City's Active Transportation Advisory Committee (ATAC) has been asked to offer some input regarding what a network of priority winter cycling routes (i.e. priority snow clearing) might look like. We have to forward ideas to ATAC ASAP if we hope to get our input included in the contracts for next year's snow clearing.

BttF has created a map of proposed winter cycling priority routes based on a set of principles.

More info

Wanted: volunteers to help out at various summer events

Bike to the Future does outreach, sells memberships, and promotes itself at various appropriate summer events. If you are interested in helping out, please contact us at con...@biketothefuture.org.

BttF membership

Members of Bike to the Future agree with our mission and vision and support it. We are a volunteer-run, incorporated, non-profit organization that is only as strong as our membership. Please show your support for our work by becoming a member or renewing your membership.

BttF's Membership page

Our website at biketothefuture.org is updated often.