softmod'ing an xbox?

Austin Bingham

Jul 5, 2011, 1:39:03 AM7/5/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
Has anyone in this group done a softmod on an old xbox? I'm interested
in picking up a second-hand xbox (kr 400 on finn) and giving it a try,
so I thought I'd see if this group had any experience with it.

Fredrik: Is there a PC in the barn that I could use for this? The core
of the process involves booting a PC with a custom linux ISO, and then
hotswapping an IDE cable from the xbox to the PC.

My ultimate goal with this is to create a upnp media server (e.g. with
xbmc), but I'm also curious just to try it out.

Austin

Bjørn Hegle

Jul 5, 2011, 2:11:57 AM7/5/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I did mine with hard moddin...works like a charm.

Austin Bingham

Jul 5, 2011, 2:21:36 AM7/5/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I'm being cheap :) But if the softmod looks like it's going to be too
much of a hassle, I may do that.

Have you tried xbmc or any other media center software on yours? I'm
primarily interested in streaming movies from a NAS to my TV via the
xbox.

Austin

Bjørn Hegle

Jul 5, 2011, 2:22:56 PM7/5/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, long time ago.....was some cool features there, like watching  TV and free movies.

fenre

Jul 7, 2011, 11:39:07 AM7/7/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
You can use my laptop. It's bricked atm, but will boot from CD or USB.

Bjørn Hegle

Jul 7, 2011, 3:13:16 PM7/7/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
He needs a pc with "normal" IDE connector. Maybe there is some at work...

Kjell Kristian Torgersen

Jul 7, 2011, 5:30:07 PM7/7/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I do have an USB->IDE converter, is that sufficient?

Austin Bingham

Jul 7, 2011, 11:55:36 PM7/7/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering about that, too...it might be perfect. I say that we
give it a shot.

Austin

Kjell Kristian Torgersen

Jul 8, 2011, 6:28:50 AM7/8/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I could bring the USB->IDE converter next time, but the
powersource(which is also included) doesn't work properly(too weak I
think), so we need another power source. When using this converter,
the drive pops up as an regular usb drive device in the /dev-folder in
linux.

Austin Bingham

Jul 9, 2011, 2:13:46 AM7/9/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
Well, it looks like mod'ing won't be necessary. I picked up an xbox
from finn, and when I plugged it in I found out that it was already
modified!

So, would still be a fun project if someone has an xbox they want to
"upgrade", but I won't be doing it next week.

Austin

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Kjell Kristian Torgersen

fenre

Jul 9, 2011, 12:14:37 PM7/9/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I've still got my original xbox if anyone wants to give it a try..