Wiki and Projects

Aaron

Mar 24, 2011, 5:17:51 PM3/24/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
Fredrick has done a fantastic job of creating all sorts of on-line
resources for the group. He's started a great Wiki over here:
http://fenre.org/wiki.

A few of us at the meeting this thursday decided we would try to build
a kite lofted camera to snap images of the area. I started a new page
on the wiki to document what we're doing - http://fenre.org/wiki/index.php?title=Kite-Camera

So far, I've tracked down some replacement firmware for Canon cameras
that can handle some scripting and automation. Does anyone have an
older Canon point-and-shoot that they would like to donate to this
project? It should come back in one piece, but with kites and hackers
involved, there are no promises. Finn.no has turned up a few cameras
that would work well, but they're all fairly expensive.

Austin Bingham

Mar 25, 2011, 3:10:53 AM3/25/11
to Aaron, Stavanger HackerSpace
> So far, I've tracked down some replacement firmware for Canon cameras
> that can handle some scripting and automation.  Does anyone have an
> older Canon point-and-shoot that they would like to donate to this
> project?  It should come back in one piece, but with kites and hackers
> involved, there are no promises.  Finn.no has turned up a few cameras
> that would work well, but they're all fairly expensive.

We have a Canon point-and-shoot, but I don't think I'll get permission
to use it for this. I do have a Panasonic Lumix which we can use, but
Panasonic is not as forthcoming with their specs so there isn't any
viable replacement firmware (that I can find.)

Austin

Aaron Ciuffo

Mar 25, 2011, 12:57:05 PM3/25/11
to Austin Bingham, Stavanger HackerSpace
If you're into plundering the guts of the Lumix and building an intervalomater for it, I'm game!  I have no experience doing such things, but I suppose the best way forward is to give it a go.
Otherwise, I was looking on EBay and I found many Canon P&S cameras for around $40.  There is of course the issue of shipping costs, but we might be able to balance that out somehow.

--
Aaron Ciuffo

From time to time
The clouds give rest
To the moon beholders
--Basho

Aaron

Mar 25, 2011, 1:26:37 PM3/25/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
I've updated the Wiki with a bunch of information that relates to a
camera I'm willing to make part of this project. If anyone else is
interested in helping me round up parts so we can get started next
Thursday, let me know. I have a servo and a circuit that I cobbled
together that can potentially control the servo using a 555 timer, but
I could use some help piecing everything together and attaching it to
the camera in a way that does not result in any of the following: 1)
electrical shocks 2) burnt or torn flesh 3) falling, flaming death
from the sky. I could probably also use some help fiddling with the
circuit. It doesn't quite do what I expect.
Drop me a line if you're interested and I'll hook you up with the
information that I have so far.

--
Aaron

Austin Bingham

Mar 27, 2011, 11:59:04 AM3/27/11
to Aaron, Stavanger HackerSpace
Hi Aaron,

I'm game to help you out with this. I have a Lumix (TZ1) that I can
also donate to this project. Unfortunately, mine does have a flash
shoe, so mine won't work with the mounting system described in the
link you put on the wiki. I was looking at the tripod socket as a
mounting option for the "finger" but then that begs the question of
how to mount the camera to the kite...all things considered, your
camera looks to be a better choice!

I'm free any evening through Thursday if you want to get together and
sort this out, and we could even do it at my place if needed.

Austin