Keep or not keep unrealized tokens on a continuous scale

ekbrown77

Apr 26, 2017, 2:07:21 PM4/26/17
to StatForLing with R
What reasons are there for keeping unrealized tokens on a continuous scale in a mixed effects linear model? For example, in a study of voiceless fricative duration, what authors or arguments are you aware of for keeping the unrealized tokens of the sound (marked as 0 milliseconds, for example)? I can't seem to find the refs I know I've read on both sides of the discussion about keeping or discarding unrealized tokens of sounds, when sounds are measured on a continuous scale (rather than categorically as "present" or "absent").

This question is theoretical in nature, rather than R-code-specific, but is relevant to fitting linear models, specifically in my case, fitting mixed effects linear models with the lme4 package.

Matías Guzmán Naranjo

Apr 27, 2017, 8:00:52 AM4/27/17
to statforli...@googlegroups.com
do you mean as an independent or dependent variable?

What reasons are there for keeping unrealized tokens on a continuous scale in a mixed effects linear model? For example, in a study of voiceless fricative duration, what authors or arguments are you aware of for keeping the unrealized tokens of the sound (marked as 0 milliseconds, for example)? I can't seem to find the refs I know I've read on both sides of the discussion about keeping or discarding unrealized tokens of sounds, when sounds are measured on a continuous scale (rather than categorically as "present" or "absent").

This question is theoretical in nature, rather than R-code-specific, but is relevant to fitting linear models, specifically in my case, fitting mixed effects linear models with the lme4 package.

ekbrown77

Apr 27, 2017, 9:01:57 AM4/27/17
to StatForLing with R
As a dependent variable.