font problems

Karin Axelsson

Mar 9, 2017, 12:22:18 PM3/9/17
to statforli...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am currently trying to learn using R by reading the book and entering the same code as in the book into R Studio. I have installed all packages mentioned on p. 57 and have managed to obtain the same results as in the book in most cases (I am on p. 127 now). However, I am having a problem with fonts. I receive the following warnings: no font could be found for family ”Arial”. This means that texts and symbols (such as +) are not included in the plots (e.g. fig. 22 p. 111, fig. 28 p. 126). I have installed the package extrafont, but it does not work anyway. I use a Mac - does it matter?

Best wishes,
Karin Axelsson

Karin Axelsson
Postdoctoral fellow in English linguistics
University of Gothenburg
Department of Languages and Literatures
Renströmsgatan 6
SE-41255 Göteborg

Stefan Th. Gries

Mar 9, 2017, 2:36:32 PM3/9/17
to StatForLing with R
When I google this, I come up with this:
<http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/no-font-could-be-found-for-family-quot-Arial-quot-td3233322.html>
- have you tried something like what user "tibr" suggested? Or maybe
you can (also) check out the mentioned SIG-Mac list.

HTH,
STG

Karin Axelsson

Mar 10, 2017, 7:56:49 AM3/10/17
to statforli...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I downloaded Font Box and could see that some fonts, among them Arial, hade been disabled, so I enabled them. Now it works! Thanks!