Roll calls and life

Timothy Stowell

Oct 7, 2022, 1:45:09 AM10/7/22
to State-Coord@Google
Looking at the latest EC report of our declining members , 2 new and 21 left or died, ND, I  have seen over the years a variety of roll calls: monthly,  quarterly, annually, every couple of years and never.

A few years back, when I discovered that a CC had died, I  asked the then SC how often a rollcall was done.  I was told, I never do them. Of course their replacement at some point had a lot of cleanup to take on.

Lastly, does a private matter really need discussion publicly? Seems that in past instances folks were told to take it private?  Besides if someone has a grievance, I believe that there is a committee to tackle such disagreements?

As for roll calls, In MNGenweb, we did them monthly, then quarterly but with other pressing issues in real life, those too slid into the abyss.

Those issues include struggling with  our 2021 Federal tax forms, funding for hosting one state with associated county sites, moving sites from Rootsweb and other servers to where the bulk of the county sites already reside, figuring financial support for 3 of our 4 children who are all seniors in two public universities, working 50 hours a week to bring home the bacon, dealing with all the paperwork of nearly losing my wife in a car crash that totaled the car.

Yet I took the couple of minutes to respond the NC's roll call.  A Wiseman told me nearly 50 years ago, "you can always find the time to do the things you really want to do."

Tim Stowell

Doreen Harunaga-Ewing

Oct 7, 2022, 7:32:19 AM10/7/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Tim Stowell, well said.  Thank you.

Doreen Harunaga-Ewing
Sent from my iPad

NancyJanyszeski

Oct 7, 2022, 8:41:02 AM10/7/22
to Timothy Stowell, State-Coord@Google
Thank you Tim,

Nancy

Nancy  Janyszeski
PAGenweb🌷

Denise Wells

Oct 7, 2022, 8:50:17 AM10/7/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Everyone has an opinion.  And sorry, but this should be a complaint by all of us.  This is not a grievance... although I would think that the coordinators could have had one.  Y'all don't have to read what's going on, but you should care.  But maybe some don't?

Denise

--
Denise Wells
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb

marshab...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2022, 8:53:09 AM10/7/22
to state...@googlegroups.com

I’ve been trying to do my roll calls in January & July. I did them monthly, but after I’d done that for 2 years, it felt like overkill. So twice a year it is.

Marsha

LAGenWeb

Dale H. Cook

Oct 7, 2022, 11:57:04 AM10/7/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
On 10/7/2022 1:44 AM, Timothy Stowell wrote:

> Yet I took the couple of minutes to respond the NC's roll call.  A
> Wiseman told me nearly 50 years ago, "you can always find the time to do
> the things you really want to do."

Tim -

That was all very well put. I am glad that you wanted to be a MA CC.
--
Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS, AGS, MA Soc. of Mayflower Descendants;
Massachusetts State Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project;

Mary Schwanke

Oct 7, 2022, 6:04:45 PM10/7/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
For CT, I've started kind of a quarterly roll call, February May August November. May change UT over to that as well.

MaryAlice

Timothy Stowell

Oct 8, 2022, 1:49:18 AM10/8/22
to State-Coord@Google
Re-reading my note, I don't know what, ND, stood for, thus guessing that spell check changed what I wrote before sending or perhaps, half asleep I let the message go without rereading it.

What has bothered me for a long time is, as a researcher in the Northeast, is the lack of depth of information available on county sites where non native Americans have settled for 350 plus years versus county sites a mere 200 years old or less have.

What surprised me about the county I did adopt in MA is that there is no county government but only town governments.

I am well used to counties being subdivided into towns each with its own positions but also a county government for counties in New York, Minnesota and North Dakota.  There are likely others but these I am familiar with. Thus wherever I land in adopting, helping others, I'm always learning new things.  This Project has expanded my education well beyond what I have learned in educational institutions.

While I wish success for the entire Project, I can only help fulfill that goal by minding the outposts I have taken responsibility for, leaving the remainder for others.

Some day all the sites I maintain will be left for others to take their turn at preservation and expansion of them.   Until then,  I bear that responsibility to leave sites better than I found them.

Tim S.

Dale H. Cook

Oct 8, 2022, 2:11:56 PM10/8/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
On 10/8/2022 1:49 AM, Timothy Stowell wrote:

> What surprised me about the county I did adopt in MA is that there is no
> county government but only town governments.

There were county governments in Massachusetts since the 17th century,
but in the late 20th century the Commonwealth began absorbing county
functions in many counties, and eventually abolished county governments
in most of the counties by the 1990s. The only remaining county
governments in MA are in the southeast - Plymouth, Barnstable, Bristol,
Norfolk, Dukes, and the solitary county/town combined government in
Nantucket (because that county has only had one town which includes the
entire county).