Jeff Weaver's Civil War files

1 view

B McNamara

Aug 20, 2021, 3:42:11 PM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on a massive project to update TNGenWeb sites that have been "adoptable" for several years.

Today, I'm scouring the Internet Archive for links to Jeff Weaver's staggering collection of Civil War material.

It appears the files are not incorporated into the "New River Notes" site Jeff maintained until he died in 2012.

Has anyone taken on the task of collating all that Civil War data somewhere, so we can make sure his efforts are not forgotten?

Rebecca Maloney

Aug 20, 2021, 4:15:58 PM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As the new (almost- starts Sept 1) Special Projects Coordinator I have begun gathering information on Special Projects to see where I can help and so forth.  I am attaching a spreadsheet that shows all the different Military Projects around XXGenWeb.  I do not know if any of these have the records that you are looking for.

If you need help using the wayback machine for recovery and such I will help- just let me know!

TNGenWeb.xlsx

Timothy West

Aug 20, 2021, 7:10:51 PM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
For ideas on a military project page, take a look at my military records page for Scott County -- especially the "heroes" links.  Some of  the heroes links are just place holders but those for ww1, ww2, Korea,  Vietnam, Iraq are populated.   Many soldiers are fully populated with details, pictures, obituaries (and related newspaper stories), and headstone pictures while others not so much.  It is an ongoing project for me.  It might give you some ideas.

...tim west...
Scott County Coordinator for the TNGenWeb Project
http://www.tngenweb.org/scott

tngenewhiz

Aug 21, 2021, 11:39:01 AM8/21/21
to State Coordinators
Thank you, Rebecca --

The Internet Archive and I are quite chummy.  It's been cranky the past couple of days because I've been requesting pages from the 1990's.

Probably the biggest challenge is knowing the path where things were located originally.  So many pages archived back in the earliest Wayback days were simply clones of other sites -- either the owner switched hosts, or someone scraped and uploaded wholesale.  I want to make sure I get the original creator's most-current work, not a rehash from someone else.

Jeff Weaver's notable works are at the New River Notes site that continues today under the aegis of the Grayson County, VA, historical society and the books he published before his untimely death.  He was a fantastic resource for my own research (I have a vague recollection of once researching my own lineage).

tngenewhiz

Aug 21, 2021, 11:40:08 AM8/21/21
to State Coordinators
Not just because you are a Tennessee participant, I brag about your Scott County site A LOT!

People who are looking for a non-CMS model should check it out:  https://tngenweb.org/scott