Fwd: [flgenwebcoordinators] Fwd: New, Noteworthy, and Neato

Denise Wells

Jun 27, 2021, 7:16:49 PMJun 27
to State-Coord@Google
National Archives Newsletter.

Denise Wells
AB Representative at Large
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb
ASC MSGenWeb | ASC UTGenWeb

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Denise Wells <scflg...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 6:06 PM
Subject: [flgenwebcoordinators] Fwd: New, Noteworthy, and Neato
To: FLGenWeb Coordinators <flgenwebco...@googlegroups.com>

New NL from the National Archives.

Denise

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: National Archives Catalog <cat...@nara.gov>
Date: Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 11:23 AM
Subject: New, Noteworthy, and Neato
To: <scflg...@gmail.com>

Join us this week as we celebrate new, noteworthy, and just plain neat stories from the holdings of the National Archives.
View email in your browser
New, Noteworthy, and Neato

There is always something to learn and discover in the National Archives Catalog. Join us this week as we celebrate some new, noteworthy, and just plain neat stories from our holdings.

Animated gif of a group of people testing out gymnastic moves in zero gravity
US National Archives on GIPHY. Source: Records of NASA, Motion Pictures Relating to Engineering, Documentary of Gymnastics in Zero-G, 5/22/1985. National Archives Identifier 78077759
Oh Dam(s)!

This newly available series of Construction Progress Negatives from the Records of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) document major construction stages of TVA fossil, hydro, nuclear, and coal gasification projects. Nearly 4,000 photographs in this series also include general activities of people, places and events including portraits, pictures of dedication ceremonies, managers, and presentations.

Cherokee Dam Construction Progress Negatives: National Archives Identifier 196757767
Black and white photograph of the Cherokee Dam Site, showing a landscape of a field with trees and brush
Black and white photograph of the Cherokee Dam construction site. The dam is partially built and surrounded by scaffolding. Workers can be seen on top of the dam, and on the ground.

Cherokee Dam Site, 8/12/1940, National Archives Identifier 204246280
Upstream Cone Area, 4/7/1941, National Archives Identifier 204246914

Kentucky Dam Construction Progress Negatives: National Archives Identifier 196757763

Black and white photograph of a river channel just below the dam site. A barge is floating in the middle of the river
Black and white photograph of an outdoor area of a knitting mill. Long tables contain piles of knitted items such a socks. Rocks and trolleys and wheelbarrows are seen throughout.

River channel below dam site, 2/16/1943, National Archives Identifier 201241318
Priester knitting mill, 2/18/1937, National Archives Identifier 201241386

Nottely Dam Construction Progress Negatives: National Archives Identifier 196757770

Black and white photograph of a group of lumberjacks cutting and sawing trees in a large wooded area.
Black and white photograph of the tunnel outlet of the dam. Wooded area in the foreground of the photo.

Sawing Trees, 7/18/1941, National Archives Identifier 204262251
Tunnel Outlet and Spillway Area, 10/28/1942, National Archives Identifier 204262453

Juneteenth

On June 19, 1865, two and a half years after President Abraham Lincoln’s historic Emancipation Proclamation, U.S. Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger issued General Order No. 3, which informed the people of Texas that all enslaved people were now free. They were the last group of Americans to be informed that all formerly enslaved persons were now free.

Zoomed in clip of General Order Number 3, informing the people of Texas that all enslaved people are now free.
General Order 3, 6/19/1865. National Archives Identifier 182778372

To understand Juneteenth’s significance, one must understand how geography, military occupation, timing, and the resilience of a proud people solidified June 19, 1865, as the date that symbolizes freedom for African Americans. The National Archives is the home of General Order No. 3 (National Archives Identifier 182778372), the document whose date of issue gave this celebration and holiday its name.

Learn more on the Rediscovering Black History blog: Juneteenth: The Celebration of a New Freedom in America and on Archives.gov.

Double Take: Finding Posters within Photos

For our staff, it is always a thrill to find something new in the millions of the digitized photographs, especially if it connects other records in our holdings. Once Daniel Dancis, a textual records archivist, started to notice some familiar WWII posters within WWII photographs in our holdings, he started to see them everywhere. He shares these finds and looks at the messaging in these meta moments in history in the Unwritten Record blog.

Animated gif of a man sitting at a desk in the Office of War information while talking on the phone. His office shows WWII posters on the walls behind him.
US National Archives on GIPHY. Source: Theodore R. Poston, Office of War Information, National Archives Identifier 535824
Recovery of 1810 Census Rolls

Local 1810 census records from Massachusetts, long missing from the collection of census records of the time, are finally in Washington, DC, after a 211-year delay, thanks to a social media post.

Book cover of the 1810 Census. The cover is a green and blue mottled print
Page of 1810 Census showing handwritten names and information
1810 Census of Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts. National Archives Identifier 205601220

A National Archives employee scrolling through Instagram saw a February post from the Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) Library that connected archives, genealogy, and Black history, using the 1810 Essex County census record book. You can now view the digitized version in the National Archives Catalog.
Learn more about the document’s recovery story on Archives.gov.

Animated gif of a 1950 census promotional video showing a group of people inside an outline of the United States.

Speaking of the census, have you visited the Census Records community on History Hub? As we gear up for the exciting release of the 1950 census population schedules in April 2022, be sure to stay tuned on History Hub for Census Fun Facts, tips for census research, and more.

Today's Document

Interested in daily featured documents from today in history from the holdings of the National Archives? Look no further than Today’s Document! You can follow Today’s Document on Tumblr, Twitter and Facebook

Here are a few popular recent posts:

Richard and Mildred Loving’s marriage license, June 2, 1958, via @TodaysDocument on Twitter

As an interracial couple, their marriage was against Virginia law. The Lovings appealed their case, and SCOTUS ruled that race-based restrictions on marriage violated the 14th Amendment.

Marriage license for Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter. The names and dates and locations are typed into the standard license form

National Archives Identifier 17412479

The Coast Guard Beach Patrol, June 17, 1926, via @TodaysDoc on Facebook.

Black and white photograph of a coast guard member wearing a raincoat, hat, and boots, patrolling the beach.
National Archives Identifier 205581988
Start your research on History Hub
History Hub logo

Have a question? Find your answer on History Hub

See what people are asking about on History Hub, including:

Searching for war bride records from Europe
Where can I find photos of 127th Infantry, US Colored Troops?
Are there records of raids on Moonshiners in East Tennessee?

History Hub is our support community for researchers, genealogists, history enthusiasts, and citizen archivists. Ask questions, share information, work together, and find help based on experience and interests. Researchers can ask—or answer—questions on History Hub, or search to see if a question has been asked before.

Animated gif of two people in a research room looking at a document together and talking
Citizen Archivists, there's a group just for you!  You can share tips and strategies, find new challenges, and get support for your work.  Get started with our poll: What kinds of records do you like to transcribe?

COVID-19 Update

The National Archives is committed to the health and safety of our visitors and staff. We are closely monitoring the situation regarding COVID-19, and we are working with public health officials and our counterpart agencies to monitor and respond to the evolving conditions and following CDC guidelines.

For more information, visit https://www.archives.gov/coronavirus

Questions or comments? Email us at cat...@nara.gov.
National Archives logo
Privacy policy