MEGenWeb - complaints

Denise Wells

Oct 6, 2022, 1:48:06 PM10/6/22
to State-Coord@Google
I've received complains about MEGenWeb and nothing gets done.  Now I have one of the CC's who said he has tried to get help for a very long time.  He heard from me because I am reviewing USGWS websites and advised him that he needed to add a logo and link to USGWS and that he should have a link to the national site.  I've advised that person that I can get him login for his county because it is on my server, but that I am not the state coordinator.

When is something going to get done about Maine and Wisconsin?  Just wondering....

Sorry, but it seems like nothing gets managed unless I pitch a bitch....This is ridiculous that the CCs don't hear from their state coordinator!!!!!

Denise Wells
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb
ASC MSGenWeb | ASC UTGenWeb

Ron Dailey, NCGenWeb Project State Coordinator

Oct 6, 2022, 1:56:36 PM10/6/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Denise,

I doubt you remember me, but I have been involved with several states and counties going back to 1997.  One of which was Marion County in Florida.

I would like to be able to email you directly without using this group.  How can I do that?

- Ron Dailey

Dale H. Cook

Oct 6, 2022, 5:57:53 PM10/6/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
On 10/6/2022 1:47 PM, Denise Wells wrote:

> This is ridiculous that the CCs don't hear from their state
> coordinator!

Mine get a roll call about the first of each month. If one doesn't
respond it is my job to chase them down. That is what Betty Thomas did
as MA SC when I came started in the Project twenty years ago - it worked
fine then and still seems to work fine now.
--
Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS, AGS, MA Soc. of Mayflower Descendants;
Massachusetts State Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project;

Cheryl Rothwell

Oct 6, 2022, 6:51:12 PM10/6/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
You do a MONTHLY roll call?? I'm used to CCs moaning about an annual roll call. Must be a happy medium.

Cheryl Rothwell
ASC, ILGW

Dale H. Cook

Oct 6, 2022, 9:38:55 PM10/6/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
On 10/6/2022 6:51 PM, Cheryl Rothwell wrote:

> You do a MONTHLY roll call?? I'm used to CCs moaning about an annual
> roll call. Must be a happy medium.

I'm starting from scratch - MA was down to 2 CCs when I became the SC.
The three new CCs (one for two counties) don't complain. Under the last
SC we went for a decade with no CC roll calls at all. Of course, in that
decade we lost most of the CCs and 90% of the state project volunteers.

Denise Wells

Oct 7, 2022, 8:28:41 AM10/7/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
I've had a monthly roll call in both New Jersey and Florida.  Why? Because we had a monthly, and all of a sudden one of my amazing CCs didn't respond for 2 months, which was very unlike him.  I finally was able to determine that he passed away!  And his family finally gave me permission to take over his county.  He had left it to family members in a Will.  There are ramifications that have to be dealt with sometimes.

Denise Wells
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb
ASC MSGenWeb | ASC UTGenWeb

Denise Wells

Oct 7, 2022, 8:46:53 AM10/7/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Dale...

I totally get the starting from scratch.  It sort of felt like that in FL when I took over.... but I did have some amazing help from Jeff Kemp to start with, and others have stepped in and stepped up.  I still have need for many more volunteers.  Let me know if you have any strategies I could employ.  I'm actually getting ready to join the Palm Beach County genealogy group and finally was able to get to one of their meetings last month, and plan on going this weekend to my second this weekend.  I do have ulterior motives..... LOL  But, it is good to get back into some of this physical attendance though.  I would love to go to the one in Broward; however, their meetings and library are at a university and parking for handicapped, and the distance to walk are too much for me with my bum knee and a cane, making it a challenge.  The PBC group meets at the main PBC library in West Palm Beach, which is mostly a straight shot north from where I live, is much easier to get into with handicap parking close to their main door.  LOL

Denise

Dale H. Cook

Oct 7, 2022, 12:11:57 PM10/7/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
On 10/7/2022 8:46 AM, Denise Wells wrote:

> I totally get the starting from scratch.
> Let me know if you have any strategies I
> could employ.

Denise -

Will do. I still have venues to explore looking for CCs and I'll let you
know how they work out. There are meetings of MA societies that I would
love to attend but I am hundreds of miles away so that is not likely.