FYI - Joy's server appears to be offline

Denise Wells

Sep 9, 2022, 4:04:57 PM9/9/22
to State-Coord@Google
I am receivig complaints about a NY county being inaccessible and it appears to be on Joy's server.  Just checked and it looks like the server is offline, not just the county.

Denise Wells
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb
ASC MSGenWeb | ASC UTGenWeb

Rebecca Maloney

Sep 9, 2022, 4:14:16 PM9/9/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
I've received some emails about other counties too.  I've sent Joy a couple of emails asking for eta of it being brought back online, no answer yet.

Rebecca Maloney
Volunteer with USGenWeb

Linda Ziemann

Sep 9, 2022, 4:26:31 PM9/9/22
to state...@googlegroups.com, Denise Wells, Rebecca Maloney
Ladies (Denise & Rebecca) —

I just saw your emails come in.
Believe me, I am MORE THAN CONCERNED about the SDGenWeb server (joyfisher.org) which houses most/if not all the SDGenWeb counties. I want to address my issues with the AB about that going forward.  BUT RIGHT NOW TODAY,  I can say SDGenWeb is ONLINE.
I just double checked, since I do have access to the Admin FTP.  Joy allowed me that back at the end of 2021.

Does Joy have another domain & server that I am not aware of for other States, which covers the counties that both of you are saying are DOWN?
I have tried to reach Joy over the last two weeks.  NOTHING in response. Which is not good—I have tried to be patient.  But — there is several CCs for South Dakota or potential CCs that have emailed me…..needing Joy to assign them a new ID/PW for their SD counties.
Well…….Ok said I would not go into my problems right now.

Right now getting into Joy’s server for the SD counties, is not an issue. That is WORKING.

Please keep me in the loop.  I will stand by to HELP if you think I can.
Linda Ziemann, SDGenWeb ASC

Denise Wells

Sep 9, 2022, 4:33:12 PM9/9/22
to Linda Ziemann, State-Coord@Google, Rebecca Maloney
theusgenweb.org is the server.....

You may want to try Debbie _______..... I don't remember her last name at the moment, but I'm sure others will know who I am referring to.

Denise Wells
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb
ASC MSGenWeb | ASC UTGenWeb

Bob Jenkins

Sep 9, 2022, 4:35:09 PM9/9/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
From what I can see looks like sdgenweb is back to an old version. The counties list shows most all adoptable. I have Hughes and my stuff is not there

Bob jenkins

--
Thanks
Bob Jenkins

Bob Jenkins

Sep 9, 2022, 4:37:32 PM9/9/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Looks like ndgenweb is offline

--
Thanks
Bob Jenkins

Martha A C Graham

Sep 9, 2022, 4:37:39 PM9/9/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
According to Who is, the renewal was done on 7 Sep. 2022 Plenty of time for the ns to regenerate

Martha

Denise Wells

Sep 9, 2022, 4:39:52 PM9/9/22
to Linda Ziemann, State-Coord@Google, Rebecca Maloney
Debra Crosby is the person.  I don't know if they are related or what, but I know she works with Joy quite a bit.  That's all I got.

Denise Wells
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb
ASC MSGenWeb | ASC UTGenWeb

Linda Ziemann

Sep 9, 2022, 4:57:10 PM9/9/22
to state...@googlegroups.com, Bob Jenkins
To Bob Jenkins……Just a quick reply from Linda Ziemann, ASC SDGenWeb.
Yes, first off the NDGenWeb server is down.  I have two counties there as CC, checking just now, I just realized ND is not online.

Bob mentioned that SDGenWeb looked like an Old version.  **But it is NOT an Old version — Unfortunately today there are a large number of SD counties Up for Adoption.
Since the end of last year, I am now ASC of SDGenWeb, with Joy Fisher, as SC.
When I was given access by Joy to update the SDGenWeb main pages, Hughes County was on the old Rootsweb site—and even the RW site says that Hughes is Up for Adoption.

Bob, I do see that on the SDGenWeb County List page at the present time,  that you are the CC and the site is active for Moody County, South Dakota.  If you ever had Hughes County on the older RW pages, I never knew that.

Hope all this helps.  Thanks for your response, Bob.

Linda Ziemann, SDGenWeb ASC

Rebecca Maloney

Sep 9, 2022, 5:21:05 PM9/9/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
I've emailed Debra too- waiting for a response

Rebecca Maloney
Volunteer with USGenWeb

Linda Ziemann

Sep 10, 2022, 10:55:39 AM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Anyone Else having any TROUBLE this morning?
I just clicked on the drop down menu off the usgenweb.org main page.  On that drop down, I selected North Dakota.
And WOW…..my computer starting going CRAZY.  All kinds of alerts and finally got an APPLE ALERT SECURITY, Threat Detected.
I got a screenshot of the Alert  and I did quickly Shut Down my MAC.
This was apparently because of clicking on ND

I picked up my IPad and got the same response by clicking on NDGenWeb.
Is anyone else having this issue?  That sure did look SCARY.
I was able to get my desktop MAC to reopen, successfully.  But am NOT going to try getting to ND right now.

I am VERY CONCERNED about ALL of this — I appreciate suggestions and input from any of you!
Thanks……..Linda Ziemann, SDGenWeb ASC

marshab...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2022, 11:04:57 AM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com

Hi Linda,

The problem may be that we all need to do the security certificates on our webs as the browsers are making our sites look unsafe. 99% of the time our sites are fine unless someone has hacked into the server and either hijacked the site or has placed a malicious coding into it. Our visitors don’t know what’s going on, so they play it safe and close out the site. I think we’re all going to have to look into this for all of our sites.

Marsha

Martha A C Graham

Sep 10, 2022, 11:15:32 AM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning,
This is interesting.
I did the same thing as  Linda, used the drop down menu, did ND and nothing.
I also tried the clickable map, still nothing.
A blank page. No security warnings, nothing but white space.
Not even a 'server down' or 'cannot find this web page'
I use Slim Browser.
However...

When I use Chrome, this is what I get. This might be what Linda got too.

Martha

Linda Barton

Sep 10, 2022, 11:15:55 AM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
And it takes some browsers longer than others to sort this out after an incident.

I just received a Google Security alert at theusgenweb.org

Linda B.

Linda Ziemann

Sep 10, 2022, 11:19:39 AM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Marsha………This is EXACTLY what I got (and I was able to get a screenshot of the exact same.)
I did a quick Shut Down……..fortunately I was able to do a restart.   I am ABLE to use my browser (either Safari or Chrome) and not encountering any problems on other websites.

Linda Z.

<dcJ984o4kRZF10H0.png>

Martha

Linda K. Lewis

Sep 10, 2022, 11:19:58 AM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
I agree, but sadly many of our SCs think it's unnecessary.

Dale said our cert is set to autorenew and put in a ticket to get this fixed.

Linda K. Lewis
Sent from my Fi Galaxy Note 10.

Linda K. Lewis

Sep 10, 2022, 11:24:58 AM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
On my phone it redirects several times to an ad site. Usually web hosts redirect all traffic if a domain lapses.

Linda K. Lewis
Sent from my Fi Galaxy Note 10.

Sep 10, 2022, 11:27:00 AM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com

Yep, that would be scary to see on a screen. I’d shut it all down!

Marsha

image001.png

David Gochenour

Sep 10, 2022, 12:00:08 PM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
It needs to be removed as soon as possible unless people who visit ndgenweb actually think that it's a real virus warning and call the "Microsoft Support" number (which probably goes to some Indian call center).

--
David Gochenour SC Nebraska  CC Cass County Nebraska CC Arthur County Nebraska CC Middlesex County NJ CC Esmerelda County Nevada CC Lake And Lafayette Florida

Linda Ziemann

Sep 10, 2022, 12:13:40 PM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Me. again……I am wondering (don’t want to give it a try myself, though) ????
Yesterday Denise and Rebecca, both of them, said they were receiving complaints from people about some counties not working.
So……are there today (for instance) any of those NY counties doing this same as what Marsha and I saw this morning on ND?
How wide-spread is this?  And is it mainly tied to sites that are housed on:  theusgenweb.org    ??????

And FYI to ALL — I am getting NO response from Joy Fisher (I tried several times in the past 2 weeks.)
Joy has joyfisher.org (And the SDGenWeb is housed there.)
The last time I heard from her was mid-July this summer.  Nothing since in all my attempts—No reply.

Standing by,   Linda Z.

<image001.png>

Martha

David Gochenour SC Nebraska  CC Cass County Nebraska CC Arthur County Nebraska CC Middlesex County NJ CC Esmerelda County Nevada CC Lake And Lafayette Florida

Bob Jenkins

Sep 10, 2022, 12:33:13 PM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com, Jeannette Harper
Joy's  Los Angeles county in CAGenWeb is compromised also.
I may disconnect it until things get straightened out

Bob Jenkins
SC CAGenWeb

--
Thanks
Bob Jenkins

Bob Sullivan

Sep 10, 2022, 12:36:14 PM9/10/22
to 'Linda Ziemann' via State Coordinators
The one New York county housed on theusgenweb.org is giving me a blank screen using Chrome / Slimjet / Firefox / Edge.  Not getting any threat messages and MalwareBytes is not complaining about it.

Bob Sullivan
NYGenWeb SC

Gina Heffernan

Sep 10, 2022, 12:45:52 PM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Marsha - a lot of the issues are due the http/https difference.

If you're using https on your site but you link your images as http, a browser will lose its mind trying to sort it out. You can't use both. If you use https when you go to a site that isn't set up for it, the browser will really go nuts.

Yesterday, the problem with SD was that Joy's server was offline while it was being renewed.

Today is a different problem and most likely a certificate issue.

Karen De Groote

Sep 10, 2022, 2:50:20 PM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Someone had said that the old NDGW pages were the ones that were showing up so maybe the problem is the http/https issue?

Sandra Bauer

Sep 10, 2022, 3:31:37 PM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
I am seeing an update was done today:

Domain Name: theusgenweb.org
Registry Domain ID: 33c6d5ee29f8420386706b25c7e374f1-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
Registrar URL: http://www.tucows.com
Updated Date: 2022-09-10T04:53:27Z    <==== see today's date?
Creation Date: 2007-09-06T00:22:01Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2023-09-06T00:22:01Z

The domain registration should have been renewed no later than 9/6/2022 from what I can see. Maybe someone forgot to do it until today.

Sandy Bauer
Illinois SC

Dale Grimm

Sep 10, 2022, 5:18:17 PM9/10/22
to state...@googlegroups.com

The whois listing for theusgenweb.org shows its IP address to be 162.215.248.241. She uses Tucows' server, and they are in the U.S.

I did a tracert for theusgenweb.org and it landed at 91.195.240.117. A reverse IP search shows that address to be based in Germany.

Offhand, I'd say she has been hacked and the URL has been redirected elsewhere. Nothing can be done until we hear from Joy.

As a stopgap measure, and to keep USGenWeb online, I can offer a limited amount of space on a TEMPORARY basis at no charge until she gets things straightened out. E-mail me at s...@ohgenweb.org.

Dale Grimm

OHGenWeb State Coordinator

Sandra Bauer

Sep 11, 2022, 2:24:06 AM9/11/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
I have unlimited space on my server so I could host theusgenweb.org if there is an admin that has full access to the server so I could download everything from the existing server and then upload to my server. If we could get the DNS pointers changed to my server we could solve the whole problem.  This would be a HUGE undertaking for me so I don't want to do it unless we really need to do this.

I can host unlimited domains and sub-domains for those of you that know what that means.

I have automatic renewals on both my domain name (whalen-family.org) and my webhosting (from iPower) so no need to have my servers go offline because I forgot to renew either one.

Sandy Bauer
SC Illinois

Sandy

Sandra Bauer

Sep 11, 2022, 9:41:54 AM9/11/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
theusgenweb.org server is back online and functioning this morning.

Sandy Bauer
SC Illinois

Kris Meyer

Sep 11, 2022, 11:56:22 AM9/11/22
to state...@googlegroups.com

Rebecca Maloney

Sep 11, 2022, 12:28:29 PM9/11/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Kris,
It is a hosting site for USGW sites that is provided by Joy Fisher.

Thank you,

Rebecca Maloney
Volunteer with USGenWeb

Rebecca Maloney

Sep 11, 2022, 12:30:22 PM9/11/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Sandy is hosting the USGW Kids Project site.  It has been a blessing!  Sandy communicates with me quickly and I would highly recommend if you need hosting for your site to ask Sandy for space!

Joy Fisher

Sep 11, 2022, 2:07:12 PM9/11/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
Sorry guys - we got hacked and it took almost 3 days to get the pirates outta the ship. Please check your sites and make sure we got it all.

Colleen

Sep 11, 2022, 6:22:14 PM9/11/22
to state...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I just tried NDGenWeb from both the map and the drop-down on usgenweb.org and had no problem whatsoever.  I'm on a laptop and using Firefox browser.

Colleen