Free website creation - Google New Sites

Denise Wells

Oct 5, 2022, 10:51:15 AM10/5/22
to State-Coord@Google
As we had been talking about where to host websites, in about 2008-9, if I remember correctly, our once wonderful state coordinator in Florida, Patrice Green, helped me create my first Google Classic site.  Every site I managed after that I created a Google Classic website. Unfortunately, as things happen over the years, Google decided to "upgrade" that service. Also, unfortunately, I did attempt to "convert" one of my Classic sites to a New site. That did not go well, and truly I didn't have the time to try to figure out how to make that work. So many of FLGenWeb's county sites were Google Classic sites as Patrice Green and Laverne Tornow were handling the state and they did sooooo much work for the state to those sites.

Then, Google decided to do away with them, and at a certain point you couldn't even make ANY changes to the Classic site if you did not convert to a New site.  Very frustrating. Well, I certainly do not have the amazing skills at web design as many in this project do have. That's when I decided to MAKE myself go back and at least learn some rudimentary html skills and site building.  I had to then dig in hard because so many FL sites were going to end up locked. Those Classic sites are still online and you cannot delete them (and can't make any changes to them).

However, you can use Google New sites to create a county site, and my understand is that it is still free.  Go to https://sites.google.com/

At that link, there are several choices:  Google Drive, How to Use Google Sites, Create and Host Businesses, and Sites Help.  I have not dug into this at all, but believe it may be an alternative for those who might need this.  Be sure to look at the links that show up once you enter the above in the search engine.  Below that section will be additional questions that have been asked and by clicking on the down arrow next to that you can have numerous questions answered.

I hope this might help some.

Denise Wells
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb
ASC MSGenWeb | ASC UTGenWeb