question about a string of code

1 view

Timothy Stowell

Nov 5, 2021, 2:25:47 AM11/5/21
to State-Coord@Google
In checking for broken links on a site I am helping a CC reconstruct, I came across this code - a href="/cdn-cgi/l/email-protection#3e5047514b50597e50514c4a56505b4a10514c59" class="navlnk">Email Us

it ends with the closing < /a>.

Wondering if anyone else has run across such code?  Is this a type of code to provide for security purposes for an email?  Since the scrap of code says something about cgi - I'm guessing that this is some sort of script that would be on the FTP account?

I am just curious what the advantage of such is, where one might find this file or if it is just better to replace this with mailto?

Tim Stowell
ASC NYGenWeb
SC MNGenWeb

Mary Schwanke

Nov 5, 2021, 5:04:32 AM11/5/21
to state...@googlegroups.com

Timothy Stowell

Nov 5, 2021, 11:08:10 AM11/5/21
to State-Coord@Google
Thanks Mary.  Maybe it has something to do with it being coded in NetObjects Fusion MX for Windows.

In looking at one of the 'live' pages on Rootsweb, I do see what the actual email address is - the former CC.

Timothy West

Nov 5, 2021, 4:46:03 PM11/5/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Mary. I feel compelled to also suggest using another method to obfuscate email addresses.  CGI scripts are notoriously insecure and subject to a variety of attacks.

...tim west...
Scott County Coordinator for the TNGenWeb Project
http://www.tngenweb.org/scott

Conni McDaniel Hall

Nov 6, 2021, 9:51:26 AM11/6/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
I use Email Address Encoder to protect mine and my contributor's email from scammers harvesting email addresses as much as possible.

The directions are all available on the page. It's easy peasy.

Conni McDaniel Hall
IPSC IAGenWeb