Rootsweb Recovery of Brochures

Rebecca Maloney

Aug 16, 2021, 12:35:39 PM8/16/21
to State Coordinators
I have recovered another page from Rootsweb.   I realize many of us have our brochures already but I wanted to share this in case anyone needs their 'old' brochure for updating-  and to ask if anyone here can update PDF's?

I would like to see us update the Tombstone brochure and the Archive brochure-  but I don't have a good PDF editor.

Let me know!!

Jt Harper

Aug 16, 2021, 12:51:39 PM8/16/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
I have the ability to modify existing pdf’s - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Let me know how I can be of assistance… Send me the current pdf file and I will see what I can do!

Jeannette Harper

Rebecca Maloney

Aug 16, 2021, 1:53:24 PM8/16/21
to State Coordinators
Thank you Jeanette!

Nancy_Janyszeski

Aug 19, 2021, 9:02:19 PM8/19/21
to State Coordinators
Hello - does anyone know if it is too late to access Freepages at Rootsweb.  I have the original FTP information, but it does not connect.

Martha Graham

Aug 19, 2021, 9:14:36 PM8/19/21
to 'Nancy_Janyszeski' via State Coordinators
Hi nancy,
You might ask Rebecca Maloney. She was able to get all of the RW files I needed for several States & Counties.
Is the County you wish to get on their list?
Check the link below to see if they have it listed.
https://home.rootsweb.com/sites/siteDirectory
Then ask Rebecca if she can help.
Martha

Pat Asher

Aug 20, 2021, 7:55:14 AM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,

The FTP host name has changed and you will need a new password.  Here are the instructions for re-establishing a Freepages account:
<https://sites.rootsweb.com/~pasher/>

Pat Asher

Nancy_Janyszeski

Aug 20, 2021, 9:29:18 AM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
Good morning, thank you.

~ Nancy Janyszeski  Emoji

Rebecca Maloney

Aug 20, 2021, 9:35:37 AM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
I will ask my contact.

Rebecca Maloney
www.barkeyheritage.com
Volunteer with USGenWeb

Rebecca Maloney

Aug 20, 2021, 9:46:17 AM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com

del_wi...@comcast.net

Aug 20, 2021, 1:44:19 PM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com

Nancy.

About 2 years ago, Ancestry started putting most of the old Freepages sites back online. However, they did require that anyone wanting access to their sites were to sign up for new passwords. That went on for quite a while and many people got their websites back and continue to access and update or whatever they want. I update mine every few months without any issue.  At the time there was a person assigned by Ancestry to handle all of the changes, but I don’t think she does anymore.  There is a new Rootsweb-Website-Help Google Group which is administered by non-Rootsweb people but members may be able to help you, or at least give you the information you need.  You should join it and ask your questions.  BTW, they don’t use the regular FTP system, you have to use one that has SFTP, like Filezilla.

https://groups.google.com/g/rw-website-help

Deloris Williams

NCGenWeb State Coordinator

del_wi...@comcast.net

Aug 20, 2021, 1:47:20 PM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com

BTW, are you talking about Freepages sites or are really referring to the Rootsweb County sites? Those are completely different.  The instructions I gave you were for Freepages, for personal genealogy related sites.

Nancy_Janyszeski

Aug 20, 2021, 2:38:58 PM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
HI, Freepages.  A very old site.  It is a live site but I can't access it and it has so many broken links, etc.

I tried all the instructions, but for some reason when trying to reset the password none of my emails are associated with it.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Pat Asher

Aug 20, 2021, 4:04:32 PM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com
Deloris, The instructions for regaining access are the same for any RootsWeb hosted site, e.g. USGW County sites (on the old WWW server), the Homepages server, Freepages server, etc. The host server name is the same, and all require secure FTP for file transfers.

Pat

del_wi...@comcast.net

Aug 20, 2021, 5:17:09 PM8/20/21
to state...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Pat.

I just have a Freepages site of my own, so don’t know what kind of instructions they were giving to County website owners. The 1 or 2  NCGenWeb members who still have Rootsweb sites have always dealt directly with Rootsweb directly in getting their sites back online without problems.

Denise Wells

Aug 21, 2021, 10:12:08 AM8/21/21
to State-Coord@Google
If you need access to former pages on Rootsweb, I may be able to help you.  I have good contact with someone who can generally provide access.

Denise Wells
AB Representative at Large
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb
ASC MSGenWeb | ASC UTGenWeb

Nancy_Janyszeski

Aug 23, 2021, 10:13:14 AM8/23/21
to State-Coord@Google
Good morning - I have successfully accessed my Freepages -Rootsweb site and downloaded.

I emailed Ancestry support and they were very helpful.

Thank you for all the feedback.

Nancy

Denise Wells

Aug 23, 2021, 1:25:53 PM8/23/21
to State-Coord@Google
I got a great result for one of our coordinators.  Let me know if I can assist further as this is a quick and easy contact for me to make.

Denise Wells
AB Representative at Large
SC NJGenWeb | SC FLGenWeb
ASC MSGenWeb | ASC UTGenWeb