Who can give information

Rebecca Maloney

Mar 29, 2022, 12:33:11 PM3/29/22
to State Coordinators
usgennet.org has been down since Sunday.  I mistakenly thought this was Joy's server but it is not.  Whose server is it?  or was it?  I know NEGenWeb has lots hosted on it -

Thanks for any information!!

Linda K. Lewis

Mar 29, 2022, 12:41:47 PM3/29/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
This is one of Ron Eason's works. He is the person who continued to try and use USGenWeb's servicemark after he left the project, and took the original Census Project. I believe he lives or lived in NE.

As I recall, usgennet was funded by public donations. I am not surpised it has gone down, as all of his other works seem to have been abandoned some years ago.

IMO, no actual USGenWeb sites should be hosted there as it is a direct conflict of interest.

Linda K. Lewis
Sent from my Fi Galaxy Note 10.

Norma Hass

Mar 29, 2022, 12:45:54 PM3/29/22
to State-Coord@Google
I know of at least one county on usgennet.org

Joy Fisher

Mar 29, 2022, 1:52:18 PM3/29/22
to State-Coord@Google
Anyone with a site on usgennet should back up their site from the Wayback Machine and find other hosting service.

Martha A C Graham

Mar 29, 2022, 1:55:22 PM3/29/22
to 'Joy Fisher' via State Coordinators
Hello,
According to Denise's notice on usgenwebsites. NE is hosted there.
http://usgenwebsites.org/sites.html

Martha

Timothy Stowell

Mar 29, 2022, 6:31:46 PM3/29/22
to State-Coord@Google
Here's what I found -

WHOIS search results

Domain Name: USGENNET.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D1571612-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namesilo.com
Registrar URL: www.namesilo.com
Updated Date: 2022-03-29T20:36:17Z
Creation Date: 1998-07-12T04:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2022-12-30T17:54:35Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date:
Registrar: Namesilo, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 1479
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: ab...@namesilo.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4805240066
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registrant Organization: See PrivacyGuardian.org
Registrant State/Province: AZ
Registrant Country: US
Name Server: NS1.DNSOWL.COM
Name Server: NS2.DNSOWL.COM
Name Server: NS3.DNSOWL.COM
===============================
Looks to me like the domain was picked up after it went non-paid, and marked abandoned?

Tim Stowell

Rebecca Maloney

Mar 29, 2022, 10:38:01 PM3/29/22
to state...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate all of the insight-  I should never try to help when I am half asleep-  The domain that was causing concern is fine and it was a blurry eyed me that misread what I was being asked for help with.

Thank you,

Rebecca Maloney
Volunteer with USGenWeb

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "State Coordinators" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/state-coord/CAF49Dn2xEPSCFsW6pQ54s5AaEkFYcigEYr-q08a5CnqHW_QG4g%40mail.gmail.com.

Timothy Stowell

Mar 30, 2022, 12:04:00 AM3/30/22
to State-Coord@Google
 Rebecca,

Regardless of your blurry eyes, it alerted those of us who have CCs who had sites on usgennet.org to alert them also to the problem so we can work with them if need be to resurrect their sites.

So thank you for that.

Tim Stowell
ASC NYGenWeb