Use case scenario specification, is that somewhere in Star UML

Dan Tei

Mar 29, 2022, 7:01:48 AM3/29/22
to StarUML
I would like to add specification/description of particular Use Case in Star UML, I mean scenarios etc. Im not able to find something useful, only Markdown documentation which is not so great. Do you know where I can write Use case scenarios in Star UML?
Thanks a lot

Louis Springer

Mar 30, 2022, 10:09:04 AM3/30/22
to StarUML
Have you considered creating Activity Diagrams as owned elements of the Use Case specification?

Thanks,
Lou

Jean Fex

Mar 31, 2022, 11:20:12 AM3/31/22
to StarUML
Besides the Documentation field in the Model Explorer, you can use a hyperlink to a Wordprocesser text like a MSWord document. You can also attach Constraints to the Use Case to document the pre and post conditions. BTW, the concept of Scenario defined as "an example of an instance of a Use Case" has not been kept in the current OMG Specification. It only mentions that a natural language text can be used to describe its behaviour in addition to Interactions (Communication and Sequences diagrams), State Machines and Activities as mentioned by Lou.
Salutations, Jean

Louis Springer

Mar 31, 2022, 12:27:34 PM3/31/22
to Jean Fex, StarUML
I missed that 'scenario' part of the question. Interesting.

I'm not nearly as familiar with the specs as Jean is by a long shot, but I don't recall any Use Case instance specifications ("scenarios") either, but it's been a while. I see the point of it, examples are always helpful IMO.

   Louis Springer

   Sr. Director, Enterprise Arch

   office +1.720.699.9656

- -

-

]
-

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and/or may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection and be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

Confidentiality of email can not be guaranteed since the message traverses public networks. Please DO NOT reply to this message with any sensitive or personal information. If this type of information needs to be shared, please let us know so that we can arrange a more secure transmission method with you.

Jean Fex

Mar 31, 2022, 1:40:45 PM3/31/22
to StarUML
Use Cases may have InstanceSpecifications simply because they are Classifiers. (They are BehavioredClassifiers which are Classifiers.) An instance of a Use Case is the execution of the Use Case for real. Scenarios were clearly documented in UML 1 but not in the Reference Manuel 2nd Edition which I have in PDF. I think it was mentioned in the User Guide 2nd Edition but I don't have it with me as I am away for a while. I'll check it when I come back. I too believe that documenting scenarios is important.

Louis Springer

Mar 31, 2022, 2:29:03 PM3/31/22
to Jean Fex, StarUML
"Use Cases may have InstanceSpecifications simply because they are Classifiers. (They are BehavioredClassifiers which are Classifiers.) An instance of a Use Case is the execution of the Use Case for real."  Of course, I forgot Use Cases were classifiers.