Call Operation on Activity Diagrams

Pete K

Jun 19, 2019, 9:09:50 AM6/19/19
to StarUML
I am trying to reference an operation owned by a class on an Activity Diagram. In standard UML, this is known as a CallOperation. See section 16.3.4.2 and 16.14.10 of the UML v2.5.1 standard if you are not sure what I mean. I cannot seem to create a CallOperation on a StarUML Activity Diagram (other tools such as IBM Rhapsody and MagicDraw support this). When a drag an Action onto an Activity Diagram, I see there is a 'kind' dropdown and this is where I expect to specify a CallOperation and where I should be able to associate an operation of a class to the Action. It is important to note that a CallOperation is reference to the Operation owned by a class which does *not* have to be realized as an Activity (thus creating another Activity instead of the operation to represent the operation is not the answer).

Is there a way to specify a CallOperation on an Activity Diagram?

StarUML

Jun 20, 2019, 12:03:35 AM6/20/19
to StarUML
Hello Pete,

Unfortunately CallOperationAction is not supported in current version. We've just posted this as a feature request on our issue tracking system. Instead you can use "target" property If you are OK the operation is not shown in diagram. Or, add a Tag referencing the operation.

Thanks,
StarUML Team

2019년 6월 19일 수요일 오후 10시 9분 50초 UTC+9, Pete K 님의 말:

StarUML

Dec 9, 2019, 11:55:32 PM12/9/19
to StarUML
Hi,

This issue is resolved at release 3.2.0

Thanks,
StarUML Team

2019년 6월 20일 목요일 오후 1시 3분 35초 UTC+9, StarUML 님의 말:

Gregor Reich

Sep 1, 2022, 3:04:20 PM9/1/22
to StarUML
Hi

It's a while since the initial question... Moreover, I fairly new to StarUML, so please excuse me if I'm missing something obvious.

I created an Action of kind "CallOperation", added as target an operation of a class that I have defined elsewhere, and I was expecting to see the operation written in the body of the Action -- but I don't. Am I doing something wrong? (I did check that "SuppressOperations" is false.) Or is this not implemented? If not, what is your suggested way of referencing a particular Operation in an Activity diagram?

Thank you and best regards, Gregor.

StarUML

Sep 1, 2022, 11:57:17 PM9/1/22
to StarUML
Hi Gregor,

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, the operation name should be shown when CallOperation have an operation target with a blank action name. We have just posted this issue to our main issue tracking system and it maybe fixed in the next minor release.

Thanks,

2022년 9월 2일 금요일 오전 4시 4분 20초 UTC+9에 gregor....@gmail.com님이 작성:

Gregor Reich

Sep 2, 2022, 4:08:42 AM9/2/22
to StarUML
Thank you for the quick reply!

Actually, when I remove the action name, it does show the operation name; I didn't spot this before.

However, I believe that it should be possible to give the action a specific name, and only show the operation name in parentheses below; moreover, it should be possible to include the name of the class that provides the operation (maybe optionally).

Thanks again and best, Gregor.

Gregor Reich

Sep 2, 2022, 10:16:30 AM9/2/22
to StarUML
Sorry, me again. There is also a slight inconsistency in the current behaviour: an action without name will generate an error in the validity check, but putting a name will prevent the operation's name from being shown. So in a way, you can't do it right.

Sincerely, Gregor.

StarUML

Sep 4, 2022, 1:03:16 AM9/4/22
to StarUML
Hi,

Showing operation name in parentheses below is not found in UML Specification. So we will consider show operation name if an operation is assigned in "target" property.

Thanks,
StarUML Team

2022년 9월 2일 금요일 오후 11시 16분 30초 UTC+9에 gregor....@gmail.com님이 작성:

StarUML

Jan 12, 2023, 12:31:32 AM1/12/23
to StarUML
This issue is resolved in v5.1.0

Thanks,
StarUML Team

2022년 9월 4일 일요일 오후 2시 3분 16초 UTC+9에 StarUML님이 작성: