Best practices

Andrej Rehak

Jul 1, 2024, 1:41:59 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to StarUML
Hi I would like to know some best practices in using staruml in a small to medium company with multiple software systems. We have a library repository of ORM models that we re-use in nearly all projects / software systems we maintain. Im looking for a system how to setup a architecture repository where I could have a `Common` folder where i would like to put modeling files of components / models that are being reused all of our application landscape.

So far I came up with:
```
/architecture
    /business-processes
        /bpmn-diagrams
            process1.bpmn
            process2.bpmn
        README.md
    /governance
        standards.md
        policies.md
        README.md
    /security
        /diagrams
            security1.mdj
            security2.mdj
        README.md
    /integration
        /diagrams
            integration1.mdj
            integration2.mdj
        README.md
    /infrastructure
        /diagrams
            infrastructure1.mdj
            infrastructure2.mdj
        README.md
    /data
        /diagrams
            data-architecture1.mdj
            data-architecture2.mdj
        data-governance.md
        README.md
    /technology
        tech-stack.md
        README.md
    /devops
        ci-cd-pipelines.md
        deployment-strategies.md
        README.md
    /glossary
        glossary.md
    /enterprise-architecture
        /diagrams
            enterprise-architecture1.mdj
            enterprise-architecture2.mdj
        README.md
    /systems
        /system1
            /diagrams
                system1.mdj  # Single modeling file containing all diagrams
            README.md
        /system2
            /diagrams
                system2.mdj  # Single modeling file containing all diagrams
            README.md
    /common
        /diagrams
            common-diagram1.mdj
            common-diagram2.mdj
        README.md
    README.md
```

I am thinking if it is possible to make the `/common` and everything that would be modeled there as a big fragment that I would import to each and every system modelled under `/systems`. Now my question would be once I import the fragment - are fragment elements gonna be imported (copied) or is it that just a link will be established linking mdj files to fragment mfj files? So that when I make change to the fragment file the mdj model files will be automatically reflected?

Any suggestion, idea, practice, recommendation, article, link is more than welcome!

Thank you

StarUML

Jul 1, 2024, 8:58:16 PM (3 days ago) Jul 1
to StarUML
Hello,

Fragment is an independent copy file. You can only export parts of a model as fragments, or import them as part of another model. Please note that they have no link to each other.

Thanks,

2024년 7월 2일 화요일 오전 2시 41분 59초 UTC+9에 andrej...@pobox.sk님이 작성:

Sergio Manini

Jul 2, 2024, 6:47:51 AM (2 days ago) Jul 2
to StarUML
I have implemented a solution to avoid repetition (DRY),  it is used to produce a repository with documentation with the model diagrams.

I have different models in my project, so during the build process I automatically generate the image files of each diagram and those diagrams are references as link in a documentation using markdown files. This is very flexible and when updating any model it automatically updates the documentation when building the project.

I hope it helps,

Sergio Manini