How do I evaluate a job offer?

Wei Hu

Oct 2, 2010, 5:50:09 PM10/2/10
to startup-guide
I got a job offer from a startup with about 70-80 engineers. I'm a
fresh PhD. What percentage of stock options would be a fair price?
They gave me a good base salary upfront, making me feel a little
embarrassed to negotiate with them. I'm getting about 0.01%, whereas
in Table 3-1 of your book, an entry-level engineer is expected to get
0.05%. I know every company is different, and the amount you get
varies depending on the maturity of the company. How could I evaluate
my stock options, and should I negotiate for more? How could I find
out if the company is in series A, B, C, or D (honestly I don't know
what that means)?

Piaw Na(蓝俊彪)

Oct 4, 2010, 4:39:27 AM10/4/10
to startu...@googlegroups.com

70-80 people is fairly early stage. The table in the book applies. Depending on how you feel about risk, you might want to ask if you could give up some salary in exchange for significantly more stock. That's usually how the negotiation works unless you get multiple offers which you can use to start a bidding war.