humdrum parsing error

Malcolm Sailor

Aug 12, 2022, 12:38:42 PM8/12/22
to starstarhug
Hi Craig et al.,

I have a question I'm wondering if you can help me with.

I'm working with the following file from the TAVERN corpus. When I run the following command

beat -s /B070_04_04d_b.krn

I get the following output:

Error on line: 20: problem with rhythm in **kern spine 2
Line min duration is measured to be: -1
Durations on this line:
        3/2     3/2     3/2     1/2
Running total of durations from previous rhythm:
        1       5/2     1       0
Line of data that failed:
4.T     4.V/iv  4.G 4.B 4.g     8r

The actual line that fails is (note that "7m9" is missing above):

4.T 4.V7m9/iv 2.G 4.d 4.f 4.a- 8ccL]

Based on the output and some trial and error, I discovered that if I deleted 'm' from the line, it parses.

There are other files in the corpus that contain the same annotation that parse just fine. I notice that in both cases when V7m9/iv is preceded by 4., however, the parse seems to fail.

Any idea what is going on?

Malcolm
===
Malcolm Sailor
www.malcolmsailor.com

Craig Sapp

Aug 12, 2022, 1:40:13 PM8/12/22
to stars...@googlegroups.com
Hi Malcolm,

It is working for me:

!!!COM: Beethoven

!!!OTL: 6 Variationen uber "Nel cor piu non mi sento" von G. Paisiello

!!!Variation: Variation 4 d

**beatsum

*

*

*M6/8

*

0.5

=97

*

3

*

=98

3

*

=99

3

=100

*

2.5

*

*-

It would be useful to post a link to the actual file you are using to verify that we are using the same input data.    The file that I am looking at does not have a line "4.T 4.V7m9/iv 2.G 4.d 4.f 4.a- 8ccL]", but the filenames match.

It seems that you mean the file "B070_04_04d_a.krn", which contains that line, but that file is also working for me:

!!!COM: Beethoven

!!!OTL: 6 Variationen uber "Nel cor piu non mi sento" von G. Paisiello

!!!Variation: Variation 4 d

**beatsum **function **harm **kern **kern

* * * *clefF4 *clefG2

* * * *k[b-e-] *k[b-e-]

*M6/8 *M6/8 *M6/8 *M6/8 *M6/8

* *g: *g: *g: *g:

0.5 8D 8V 8r [8cc

=97 =97 =97 =97 =97

* * * *^ *^

3 4.T 4.V7m9/iv 2.G 4.d 4.f 4.a- 8ccL]

. . . . . . (8cc

. . . . . . 8bJ)

. 4.T 4.ivc . 4.e- 4.g 8r

. . . . . . (8ddL

. . . . . . 8ccJ)

* * * *v *v * *

=98 =98 =98 =98 =98 =98

3 4.T 4.V/iv 4.G 4.B 4.g 8r

. . . . . (8ee-L

. . . . . 8ddJ)

. 4.P 4.iv 4.C 4.c 4.g 8r

. . . . . (8ffL

. . . . . 8ee-J)

* * * * *v *v

=99 =99 =99 =99 =99

3 4.D 4.Cc 4.D 4.B- 4.d 8r

. . . . (8ee-L

. . . . 8gJ)

. 4.D 4.V7 4.D 4.A 4.c 8r

. . . . (8gL

. . . . 8f#J)

=100 =100 =100 =100 =100

* * * *^ *

2.5 4.T 4.i [4.GG (8GGL 4.c 4.a

. . . . 8D .

. . . . 8F#J .

. 4T 4i 4GG] 4G) 4B- 4g

* * * *v *v *

*- *- *- *- *-

But this one behaves as well for me.  Double checking the output syntax with the "humdrum" command:

There are no reported errors.

It is possible that there is a bug in the program that shows up in your operating system but not mine (I am using MacOS, and you are using Windows?). And what version of the OS would also be useful to track down any OS specific bug.   You can also try recompiling humextra in case beat is an old version (but it looks like no changes have been made since 2018).

-=+Craig

This is a message is from the **HUG newgroup.

Malcolm Sailor

Aug 12, 2022, 1:55:13 PM8/12/22
to stars...@googlegroups.com
First of all, I'm sorry for not including the actual file. What happened was I started writing an email to you and attached the file in question; then I decided to post it on the starstarhug group instead, but forgot to include the attachment. Then I compounded my error by getting my "a"s and "b"s mixed up. I'm sorry about the unnecessary hassle. I am including the file this time. However, according to git it hasn't changed since I downloaded it from the repository.

Strange that you can't reproduce the bug. I'm also on a mac (Monterey v 12.5), and my copy of `beat` was created on April 28th of this year. So I presume it is up to date.

===
Malcolm Sailor
www.malcolmsailor.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "starstarhug" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/starstarhug/CAPcjuFd8%3DmPYPck8ngHhmDtQP%3DdCVeDNOcUm0yxh%3D%3DvyEOwZ8w%40mail.gmail.com.
B070_04_04d_a.krn

Craig Sapp

Aug 12, 2022, 2:07:34 PM8/12/22
to stars...@googlegroups.com
Hi Malcolm,

The problem is that the **harm spine in the original file is converted to **kern in your file:

 !!!COM: Beethoven

 !!!OTL: 6 Variationen uber "Nel cor piu non mi sento" von G. Paisiello

 !!!Variation: Variation 4 d

-**function     **harm  **kern  **kern

+**function     **kern  **kern  **kern

 *      *       *clefF4 *clefG2

 *      *       *k[b-e-]        *k[b-e-]

 *M6/8  *M6/8   *M6/8   *M6/8

Red is the original content on Github, and green is your attached file.

If you change the first **kern to **harm, then it should behave as expected (**harm data is not **kern so they cannot be mixed).

-=+Craig

Malcolm Sailor

Aug 12, 2022, 2:24:24 PM8/12/22
to stars...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for noticing! It turns out that was fixed recently, after I made my fork:

Malcolm

===
Malcolm Sailor
www.malcolmsailor.com

This is a message is from the **HUG newgroup.