mid2hum and time-signatures?

Malcolm Sailor

Jul 11, 2022, 2:26:37 PM7/11/22
to starstarhug
Hello Craig et al,

I have noticed that mid2hum doesn't seem to bar music in the expected way, but instead seems to bar music as though it understands an implicit time signature of 4/4. For example, suppose I create the following file and store it in `temp.krn`:

**kern
*M3/4
=1
4c
4d
4e
=2
4f
4g
4a
=3
4c
4d
4e
=4
4f
4g
4a
*-

Then, running the command `hum2mid temp.krn -o temp.mid ; mid2hum temp.mid` prints the following:

!! Converted from MIDI with mid2hum
!! Ticks Per Quarter Note = 120
!! Track count: 2
Can not store an empty note
**kern
*M3/4
=1
4c
4d
4e
4f
=2
4g
4a
4c
4d
=3
4e
4f
4g
4a
*-

Notice that the music seems to be barred in 4/4 now, although the 3/4 time signature is recognized. (Additionally, I'm not sure where the "Can not store an empty note" error is coming from.)

Is this expected behavior? Is there a way to bar the music according to the time signature?

The reason I am converting midi files to humdrum in the first place is to convert them to score images with verovio so I can quickly inspect them as music notation. So alternately, perhaps there is a better approach to that problem?

Thanks,

Malcolm