VHV Keyscapes

Craig Sapp

Jan 25, 2021, 2:00:28 AM1/25/21
to stars...@googlegroups.com
Hello **HUGers,

I added a keyscape button to the repertory navigator on VHV.  When you load a built-in repertory score, a key-shaped icon will be displayed in the repertory navigator.  For example:

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 10.49.29 PM.png
(top left before the work title).

If you click on it, a window with the keyscape for the score will appear in the upper left side of the screen.  If you move your mouse over the keyscape, the key represented by the color under the mouse cursor will be displayed in that window:

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 10.51.42 PM.png
The black tick marks under the plot indicate measure numbers. The tick with a cross on it is a 100's measure, the next largest tick is for 50's, then 10's then 5's and the smallest ticks are for the rest of the numbers (longer pieces may drop the smallest ticks if they would be separated by less than two pixels).

In this case the cursor is hovering over the blue region, which represents the key of G major (the key of the second theme in the sonata-allegro form of the piece).

A key-to-color mapping is given underneath the plot, with minor-key colors (darker colors) at the top, and major-key colors (brighter colors) at the bottom.

In the future I will allow non-repertory keyscapes to be generated, and animation of a cursor on the keyscape when MIDI playback is active.

-=+Craig