STAR'S END Update 12.27.20

Chuck van Zyl

Dec 25, 2020, 2:26:29 AM12/25/20
to Star'sEndRadio

Lingering at the outer limits of the holiday music section, Johnny Woods & Josh Ascalon have this Noel deployed down our chimney their GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS YET TO COME (34:17), an irresistibly listenable electronic release of eight bright Yuletide tracks. Rolling out one musical confection after another this duo does know when to cut the sugar - enough to render their quiet subversiveness into something politely experimental. Extremely serious about their craft here Woods & Ascalon interpret for us an ogdoad of time-honored Christmas classics. With their modular synthesizer system delivering sounds, notes and tones fully animated, if not completely by the spirit of Christmas, then utterly by the principal of electricity, these crossed-wired quintessential carols light up the listening mind like strings of twinkling fairy lights. Set against distant chimes a familiar strain reaches us, from perhaps a place of childhood memory. The confidently cold crystaline timbres heard on GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS YET TO COME climb through the canon of holiday music, then soon tune down to the quieter frequencies - inside songs where we may feel fully a heart-swelling comfort. Whenever the airy softness gets to be too much, the muted luster of rumbling oscillations drifts in under the frosty layers, dimming the mood beneath the weakening eye of day. Ringing across this frozen panorama melodies, murmurous and uninflected, run together in a soothing texture, yet we sense the atmosphere casting a darker hue. Most Electronic Music is about sound seeking and exploratory pursuit, but this album seems to be mainly about Christmas and one of its most ominous characters. In the scattering gloom this unknowable figure provides, like the future itself, nothing but foreboding silence. Yet, to this spectre we ask if fate can be changed? Can we overcome the gravitational pull of this story's dark subject? If not, if we are past all hope, why then play this warmhearted music for us? ...It is because the tale from which the title GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS YET TO COME is taken is ultimately about conversion and transformation. In simplicity of heart its carols hope to bring people together each end-of-year season. In a quality of eternal reassurance this feeling will hold us - when we are once again alone in the quiet night.

Please tune in to the 12.27.20 broadcast of STAR'S END Ambient Radio for music from GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS YET TO COME, the new holiday album by Johnny Woods & Josh Ascalon

For more on GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS YET TO COME Yet to Come, please access: http://johnnywoods.bandcamp.com

For more on Johnny Woods, please access: http://www.johnnywoods-music.com

For more on Josh Ascalon, please access: http://www.joshascalon.com

To watch the GHOSTS OF CHRISTMAS YET TO COME video, please access: https://youtu.be/OjXDtGeB_zw

-

STAR'S END: Year in Review 2020

As 2020 winds down it is time to remember a year we would all rather forget. Please tune in to the 12.27.20 broadcast of STAR'S END Ambient Radio to hear tracks from the significant Spacemusic releases of 2020 (part one). Thanks for listening and for your support!

-

Chuck van Zyl: 40 Years on the Air, an Intimate Discussion and Q&A 12/12/20

Thanks to everyone who attended the 12/12/20 virtual event presented by The Rotunda. If you missed it and want to watch, or attended but want to review, please access the archived recording: https://youtu.be/TbrL9lWe8qI

-

STAR'S END - WXPN's Archived Stream

Beginning with the 10.07.18 edition, an archived stream of each broadcast of STAR'S END will be available through the WXPN website. To listen anytime, please access: http://tinyurl.com/starsendarchive

-

STAR'S END broadcasts every Saturday Night/Sunday Morning from 1:00am til 6:00am (EST) on:

88.5fm WXPN Philadelphia, PA
88.1fm WXPH Harrisburg, PA
90.5fm WKHS Worton/Baltimore, MD
91.9fm WXPJ Hackettstown, NJ