The Plan

Leon Starr

Oct 15, 2009, 8:10:59 PM10/15/09
to miUML
I have been meaning for some time to talk about the strategy for
putting all these metamodels up here for tomatoes to be thrown at
them.

My intention with the GPL3 license is to make the miUML metamodels,
and all derivatives, freely available. Furthermore, I plan to keep my
command line editor which populates, edits and validates these
metamodels free as well. The Python code is up on sourceforge if you
want to play with it.

IANAH, however.

(I am not a hippie). Closed source is also a wonderful thing and I
don't think the two systems are mutually exclusive. If you want to
build a draw tool or a model compiler or any other tool that imports/
exports data from the miUML or derivative metamodels, you can choose
whether or not you want it to be open or closed source. But, if you
want to use or branch from the miUML models you must make them and all
changes OPEN and FREE for all to see and modify. I, myself, plan to
build a few closed source tools to help pay the bills. I believe that
is what the GPL3 intends - correct me if I am wrong since also, IANAL.

Of course, it is presumptive to assume that this will be anything
other than a hobby and one of my many self delusions keeping me
impoverished, but there you go. Let the metaphorical vegetation fly!

- Leon