Suggestion: Create new map explorer entry

Wormer

Aug 26, 2009, 4:23:42 AM8/26/09
to Starforge
I just thought having a right click item in explorer "New -> Starcraft
Map" would have been nice.

Heinermann

Aug 26, 2009, 8:31:49 AM8/26/09
to Starforge
Starforge should start with the default staredit map.

Jon Cable

Aug 26, 2009, 11:50:56 AM8/26/09
to Starforge
Shell extensions are an interesting idea. I'm not sure if I'd want to
make them part of SF or a different software package that only did
that. Shell extensions in general slow down your computer so I prefer
not to install them unless it's something that's really useful. I
experimented a while ago with building a shell extension that would
show the minimap of .scm/x files in thumbnail mode. It didn't quite
work correctly on unicode systems. I'm sure I'll revisit the idea
sometime in the future.

Heinermann:
You mean 128x128 Badlands-Dirt?

We currently have code support for 3 different startup options:
-Do nothing
-Open most recent map (this is the current one)
-Show the Create Map dialog

But right now there's no way to switch the option. This will
eventually be in the options window somewhere. I'll add a 4th option
for "create a map with these parameters." If you have any suggestions
for other useful things to do on startup, that would be great.

Clokr_

Aug 26, 2009, 12:57:40 PM8/26/09
to Starforge
Actually I'd better add the option "Create map using template..."
instead. You'd be able to specify a template .scm/.scx and SF would
load it at startup but marking it as a new map so it'd display the
save us dialog the first time the user tries to save the map.

Jon Cable

Aug 26, 2009, 8:35:59 PM8/26/09
to Starforge

On Aug 26, 9:57 am, Clokr_ <carlos.program...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually I'd better add the option "Create map using template..."
> instead. You'd be able to specify a template .scm/.scx and SF would
> load it at startup but marking it as a new map so it'd display the
> save us dialog the first time the user tries to save the map.

How about a "Open specific map" with a "as template" boolean option?