Issue 196 in starflighttlc: Fuel usage when traveling within a star system is excessively high

starfl...@googlecode.com

Oct 5, 2010, 5:57:45 PM10/5/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
Owner: swirsz
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 196 by swirsz: Fuel usage when traveling within a star system is
excessively high
http://code.google.com/p/starflighttlc/issues/detail?id=196

Reported by Robert Caldwell:

"Like the person before me, I also agree that with the class 1 engines
fuel consumption is very fast. An example is on quest #6. This is the
first quest where to take you ship out to the planet Islay (just past
the star for the home system). When I got there, I had less then half
my fuel left and by the time I got back to the spaceport, I was out of
fuel. I tried to collect every deposit of ore on Senlabor, or scan
them at least. One play through (the science class) I found a couple
deposits of Endurium. This helped a lot, but I believe the ore
deposits on the planets are randomly distributed. Maybe there might be
a way to specifically have Senlabor always carry a few deposits of
Endurium?"

Note: I modified mineral.lua to increase the possible quantity of endurium
from a maximum of two to a maximum of five.

starfl...@googlecode.com

Oct 6, 2010, 4:24:09 PM10/6/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 196 by jsharbour: Fuel usage when traveling within a

Definitely a bug that will be fixed. This has to do with the
slowdown/braking values and just needs tweaking.

starfl...@googlecode.com

Oct 9, 2010, 10:01:55 AM10/9/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 196 by syntaxerror.unknown: Fuel usage when traveling
within a star system is excessively high
http://code.google.com/p/starflighttlc/issues/detail?id=196

I would like to work on this issue if no one else has claimed it.

rcaldwell

starfl...@googlecode.com

Oct 9, 2010, 12:15:01 PM10/9/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 196 by syntaxerror.unknown: Fuel usage when traveling
within a star system is excessively high
http://code.google.com/p/starflighttlc/issues/detail?id=196

I noticed that the fuel efficiency for both the class 1 and class 2 engines
are not very good. However class 3 and up work great. Under the ship class
in the ConsumeFuel function, the percentage of fuel consumed is based on
the engine class. I played around with the percent fuel algorithm and I
think I found a nice balance between fuel consumption and engine level.
Basically I increased the engine class level by one for engine class 1 and
2. Engine class 3, 4, and 5 have the same level of efficiency as before,
however engine class 2 and 3 have the same level of fuel efficiency. But
this is offset by the fact that the class 3 engines have a higher movement
rate. Here is what I modified in the Ship::ConsumeFuel() function

// EDIT: Robert Caldwell - 10/09/2010
//consume fuel 0.1% / engine_class (higher class uses less fuel)

// grab the current engine class
int engine_class = g_game->gameState->m_ship.getEngineClass();

// calc fuel consumption, if engine class is less than 3, add 1 to increase
fuel
// efficiency a bit, otherwise add nothing
float percent_amount = 0.001f / (engine_class < 3 ? (engine_class + 1) :
(engine_class));

starfl...@googlecode.com

Oct 18, 2010, 7:52:40 PM10/18/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #4 on issue 196 by syntaxerror.unknown: Fuel usage when traveling

within a star system is excessively high
http://code.google.com/p/starflighttlc/issues/detail?id=196

Issue fixed in revision: r235

This conversation is locked