Issue 182 in starflighttlc: ENCOUNTER: damage affects the hull far faster than other systems

starfl...@googlecode.com

Aug 16, 2010, 3:21:17 AM8/16/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
Owner: swirsz
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 182 by swirsz: ENCOUNTER: damage affects the hull far faster than
other systems
http://code.google.com/p/starflighttlc/issues/detail?id=182

It is very hard to destroy other ship systems because the hull is destroyed
first.

starfl...@googlecode.com

Aug 16, 2010, 5:14:16 PM8/16/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 182 by jsharbour: ENCOUNTER: damage affects the hull

Ship systems are only damaged on a chance roll, otherwise dmg goes to the
hull. perhaps systems should take dmg first? Will try just increasing the
odds.

starfl...@googlecode.com

Sep 16, 2010, 9:49:24 PM9/16/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #2 on issue 182 by jsharbour: ENCOUNTER: damage affects the hull

Digging into this code in GameState.cpp.. Improving chances for a system
getting hit rather than most of the damage going straight to the hull.
Increased the odds that a system will be hit, and 20% chance that a crew
member will be injured.

Another dumb thing we were doing is allowing the captain to die. LOL!
Removed that.. now the captain is never hurt unless the ship itself is
destroyed. Other officers may be hurt though.

I found another related issue: When a ship system is hit and destroyed, it
is literally removed from the ship, by being set to class 0! That really
sucks for a player who has a class 6 item worth like 300,000 creds. So, I
changed it to set health to 1 instead of 0 when a system is damaged, so it
is never completely destroyed. Only Armor can be completely destroyed
beyond repair like a shield without a recharge; all other systems can be
repaired.

starfl...@googlecode.com

Sep 19, 2010, 8:18:34 PM9/19/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 182 by swirsz: ENCOUNTER: damage affects the hull far

I ran a number of combat tests and confirm that this is now works when the
ship takes damage. Still getting really weird indications when armor is
repaired (see below) The repair costs for dry dock are well in line but a
bit high, and I could not find any other bugs in its implementation.

My only suggestions are:
1. Items with health of 1 should be inoperable

(I was trying to destroy the engines in combat to see if the ship would
stop moving, and noticed that shields, engines, everything worked perfectly
at health of 1)

I assume that completely destroying the items was a cheap and easy way to
make the ship perform as if those items were inoperable.

2. completely destroyed armor (class 4/freelance) may be repaired for
12,500 and then when you launch it shows only a sliver of armor, which I
guess is equivalent to class one armor? Selling off the armor for 0 and
then buying new class 4 armor for 12,500 shows the armor bar going all the
way across the indicator.

Reopening this issue for two reasons listed above. Damage distribution
between systems during experimentation is perfect in my opinion and crew
member damage also performs to expectations.

starfl...@googlecode.com

Sep 20, 2010, 2:40:00 AM9/20/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 182 by swirsz: ENCOUNTER: damage affects the hull far

Further notes, #2 above may be the same problem as issue 188.

Considering how inexpensive it is for the player to simply buy a load of
repair minerals and launch, sit in orbit, and let the engineer repair the
ship I think the cost of repairs should be close to 50% or even less.

What do you think about not allowing a captain to launch their ship if
their engine is at 1%?

I assume some sequence of events like this should be able to happen:

1. In combat, engines are destroyed and the player can no longer move but
can escape from the encounter.

2. In space the player cannot move the ship because engines are at 1% and
do not have repair minerals. They call an SOS.

3. Back in starport, the game does not allow them to launch so they are
required to either repair their engines in dry dock or sell them and
replace them.

starfl...@googlecode.com

Sep 24, 2010, 11:02:54 PM9/24/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 182 by jsharbour: ENCOUNTER: damage affects the hull

Good suggestions, Steve. I will dig into them.

This conversation is locked