Re: Issue 122 in starflighttlc: ENCOUNTERS: Set min/max number of ships for the random ship count for each alien race

starfl...@googlecode.com

Sep 18, 2010, 2:30:30 AM9/18/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 122 by jsharbour: ENCOUNTERS: Set min/max number of
ships for the random ship count for each alien race
http://code.google.com/p/starflighttlc/issues/detail?id=122

Interstellar is the only place where encounters are generated. A function
called calculateEnemyFleetSize() looks at the player's ship to decide how
big of an enemy fleet to create. Here's the algorithm:

(laser class + missile class + armor class + shield class + engine class) /
5

So it's the average of the ship system classes. If the player's avg is 1-2,
then there will always be only 1 enemy ship. For an avg of 3+, a random
factor comes into play:

80% of the time, there will be 1-5 ships
20% of the time, there will be 15-20 ships

This is meant to scale combat up as the player gets more powerful, because
the enemy ships never change their specs, only fleet sizes.

I don't want to screw with the scripts at this point, but these % values
can easily be changed. Lmk what changes you would recommend.

Steven Wirsz

Sep 19, 2010, 10:18:17 PM9/19/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, let's leave this until the next game. I was thinking of customizing the number of ships per race: only having one Nyssian ship, always having a ton of Tafel ships, etc.

--
[Starflight - The Lost Colony = http://groups.google.com/group/starflighttlc]

Jonathan Harbour

Sep 20, 2010, 1:28:32 AM9/20/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
That's easy to do... if you just want to change the number for each race, lmk what numbers you want (or ranges for randomness). very easy to do... and better than just randomness!

Steven Wirsz

Sep 20, 2010, 1:52:03 AM9/20/10
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
Let me give you some general guidelines in terms of the range of size of a small fleet / range of a large fleet. Feel free to modify or this any way you need:

PIRATE 1-5 / 15-20
ELOWAN 4-8 / 15-20
SPEMIN 1-5 / 40-50  (unless there is some limit to the number of ships?)
THRYNN 1-5 / 10-15
BARZHON 5-10 / 15-20
NYSSIAN 1 (should always just be 1 ship, I might beef them up combat wise in exchange)
TAFEL 1-5  / 40-50  (same as Spemin)
MINEX 15-20 / 15-20 (no small groups, no easy battles)
COALITION 1-5 / 10-15

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Jonathan Harbour <jsha...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's easy to do... if you just want to change the number for each race, lmk what numbers you want (or ranges for randomness). very easy to do... and better than just randomness!
This conversation is locked