great to see you guys back in action in 2017

Blake00

Nov 19, 2017, 10:56:55 AM11/19/17
to starflighttlc
Hi guys,

Great to see you back in action again in 2017! :)

I also didn't know about this second forum as I'm a regular visitor to your old one here:

I can see you've created 2 new threads for bugs and suggestions and not many have been here to notice them so I've posted about your 'rebirth' in the Starflight facebook group here:

I'll also update my tribute page to your project here when I get the chance:

Hopefully it brings some eager testers for you guys. :)

So glad you're working on your awesome game again.

Jon Harbour

Nov 19, 2017, 6:44:27 PM11/19/17
to starflighttlc
Yeah, the revision was worked on for 3 months this summer, a massive revision of every aspect of the game, really. That was all just to improve the original engine. Then, I kept running into the old problem of our outdated renderer having trouble with simple things like multiple transparency and got really frustrated with it, so I converted the game to DirectX 9. That's a bit old for DirectX but an immense update from the old library. The downside to that, however, was having to rewrite the GUI which was very, very messy. I got the lists, buttons, windows all working, but several Starport modules have not been updated yet, and space travel, combat, planet surface, have not been updated. I stubbed out any screen that wasn't converted to the DirectX renderer so the game will build and run but a lot of things aren't working yet. The positive side of this is resolution independence, proper font scaling, and even shaders if we want to add some special effects like explosion lighting. But all that is moot until the rest of the game is converted. And by DirectX, I don't mean actual DirectX code, it's all embedded in the engine, but the way it works is different from the old Allegro version. That's just time consuming but not hard work. And, the crux of the problem is, my partner does not have time to help and I became a bit overwhelmed after 3 months of daily work in addition to my day job, and had to put it on hold for a while because I was not having any fun. :) (Like playing Stellaris which I'm addicted to).

-Jon

Jon Harbour

Nov 19, 2017, 6:50:26 PM11/19/17
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
That being said (wanted that in a separate post), I can do a build of the "last known good" version of the original game, which by our internal source code numbering system is "Update 70". That was the last Allegro-based version of the sources and was in very good condition of playability. I do not believe anything in the game was broken and it was vastly improved.

It was at this point in the update that I ran into image handling problems, with transparency not working right in the old renderer. I tried a lot of things to work around that, like converting all of the art in the entire game to 32-bit RGBA, and spent 2 weeks on just that problem before throwing my hands up and saying, "That's it, I'm switching to DirectX". I had written a DirectX-based engine a long time ago so it was not hard to adapt the game to it.

I can get you version 70 for testing if you and anyone else wants to play around with the game at this point. And, your interest really would compel me to dig into the sources again. That version did not mess with the savegame files at all so old saves will still work. Yes, actually, I'm the sole programmer at this point. I could use some help. :)

Here's a screenshot of the new title screen.

nijineko

Nov 20, 2017, 9:46:59 PM11/20/17
to starflighttlc
This one is also interested.

Blake00

Nov 21, 2017, 1:11:24 AM11/21/17
to starflighttlc
Thanks for your reply Jon. Is Steve still working on the project? A few months ago in the old forums it looked like he was the only one left. Now here it looks like you're the only one left.. bit confusing haha!

"I can get you version 70 for testing if you and anyone else wants to play around with the game at this point. And, your interest really would compel me to dig into the sources again."
Oh yes please. If you release this 'play test version' (maybe post it as an additional download on the downloads page instead of replacing the current one) I'll post it over in the Starflight 3 fb group and some of our fan hungry for a SF3 they'll prob never get can have some fun with TLC and give you guys some feedback.

Michael Gams who's been tinkering around with the SF3 source code has been playing TLC colony recently and has a whole list of gameplay feedback (apparently he's been editing your config files to get it just how he likes it). He said he posted in this forum a while back but can't see his post. Which brings me to my next query... What on earth is going on with this google forum lol?? Another SF3 fb member posted a thread here and he can't see it too. Plus I can't see this thread unless I force a special filter showing recent posts or filter to show posts by me. When people come into this forum they just see your 2 pinned feedback threads and then a whole bunch of ancient threads that made the forum look dead as all new posts seem to be invisible unless you force various filters and not every is going to notice thast little filter tool so it's very weird and uninviting if you're wanting regular visitors and testers. Maybe the old forum is still the better option haha?

Blake00

Nov 24, 2017, 12:11:17 AM11/24/17
to starflighttlc
ahh I just realised what's tricking us all. There's just so MANY pinned threads here. So our new posts are in the middle of a sea of old pinned posts and old unpinned posts.

Think you guys should unpin a lot of that old stuff as new visitors not being able to clearly see recent posts is hurting activity here.

Jon Harbour

Nov 25, 2017, 9:27:45 PM11/25/17
to starflighttlc
Thanks for the suggestion. There were a page full of posts marked as sticky by mistake (because this site has such a primitive architecture).

Jon Harbour

Nov 25, 2017, 9:38:51 PM11/25/17
to starflighttlc
Thanks for your reply Jon. Is Steve still working on the project? A few months ago in the old forums it looked like he was the only one left. Now here it looks like you're the only one left.. bit confusing haha!

Steve came on as the main story writer in 2009 or 2010 when I was pushing hard to finish the game, and he did a good job with the alien race scripts. After releasing the final fully playable beta in 2011 or so, I had to take a break due to personal life stuff and shut down the old domain name and hosting and Steve ran a beta discussion forum on his site. He's not involved in the new updates.

Oh yes please. If you release this 'play test version' (maybe post it as an additional download on the downloads page instead of replacing the current one) I'll post it over in the Starflight 3 fb group and some of our fan hungry for a SF3 they'll prob never get can have some fun with TLC and give you guys some feedback.

I'll have to put together a new zip containing build 70 because I've gone through every single asset in the old release and replaced everything, so the game is significantly smaller than it was before (BMPs converted to PNGs for example) and I removed all of the datafiles which was a huge undertaking that doesn't affect the playability but it was huge in the code. There might still be some bugs from that.

I'm not really eager to "push" this as a new release publicly because it's not done and not really tested, it's just the last known good build of the old Allegro version of the engine before that was replaced with DirectX. One of the awesome things I did was rewrite the planet orbit module with lighting and it looked great in the last build before switching to DirectX. I really was encouraged by changes like that, but like I said, I ran into an immovable obstacle with Allegro and finally got fed up with it not playing nice.

By the way, you might be interested to know that the original SF3 project was also based on Allegro. I'm talking way, way, WAY back in 2004...

Maybe the old forum is still the better option haha?

This is actually a development bug commenting system, not a public relations-type forum that's friendly to non-developers. I don't like it but we can do something about that in time. Hopefully the settings will allow new posts to show up at the top now?

Jon Harbour

Nov 25, 2017, 9:50:20 PM11/25/17
to starflighttlc
I'm pulling revision 70 out of the repository. I will let you know when it's online but it could take a while. I do a lot of stuff asynchronously so please be patient if I don't get something done right away when I mention it. :)  I put in a lot of hours working and sometimes don't even turn on the PC in the evenings.

So just to let you know, I got the TLC bug back in June and contacted Dave Calkins and Steve Wirsz about re-opening it and doing a massive update. Steve was not interested at all but David was, and then after a month he was too busy so I ended up going solo over the summer, doing 70 updates to the original project before shifting gears to DirectX. That was a major undertaking that took a month and the GUI is still not quite right but lists are working and everything else has been adapted from the old Allegro code.

To be honest, until the new posts here, I had shelved the project again in its current unfinished state. I needed backup and David bailed on me (in fairness he never really committed, he was just being supportive of the idea). But all this means is, I took a break after putting in heavy hours on it over the summer, needed a break for a while.... I'll re-open it again soon and get back to work on the DirectX upgrade. In the meantime, the build 70 will be something you can try out.

Jon Harbour

Nov 25, 2017, 10:01:58 PM11/25/17
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
I just did a test run and I'm sorry to report build 70 is buggy. Everything works and it's a vast improvement but I was working solo and there's only so much one guy can do. I'm still willing to share it but this should not be shared with a bunch of people as it's a buggy dev build. I mean, it doesn't crash, but there are glitches, especially in the new GUI. To be honest, I would rather just go back to working on the new DirectX version and share snapshots of that instead. I probably shouldn't have mentioned this build 70. It's been a few months and I'd forgotten. It was the last ALLEGRO version before the big shift took place, but that doesn't mean it was solid/stable/good. I mis-spoke. Or mis-remembered. :)

Here was the list of completed tasks as of September:

*** COMPLETED ISSUES ***
- Add rotating planet using new software sphere mapping. (Working! Now fix the color problem).
- Add a list of detected modes for player to choose their preferred resolution.
- Refresh everything while showing messagebox so mouse cursor is drawn correctly.
- Rewrite messagebox so it's "non-modal" so it plays nice with the current module running (this gets rid of the third buffer).
- Show the story of colonizing Myrrdan with a sequence using the opening story.
- Remove progress bars, replace with text values like in original game.
- Store planet texture in data/planetorbit using ID# as the fn so it doesn't have to be generated every time.
- Draw very faint orbital paths with dotted circles in the planetary display when in-system.
- Notify the player somewhere that F1-F7 will select bridge officers on the control panel.
- Fix the science scan + analyze output to show "unknown" when skill isn't high enough.
- The lightmap can be offset to simulate the direction of the sun for a pleasing effect.
- Settings screen writes out some values to config.lua without actually checking those in gameState first. Only the resolution is writing the actual value.
- Remove the key mapping and use FIXED keys for input to simplify the game. Use WASD and ARROWS for all movement and SPACE or ENTER to default a modal button. ESCAPE to close any crew window.
- Strafe Left/Right keys changed in Settings, make sure they get changed in the actual input code.
- Fix the fuel consumption problem--way too fast. In the original game the ship ONLY uses fuel in hyperspace!
- Remove the Inject Fuel option which is stupid as it's done automatically.
- The bank is a waste of space. Get rid of it entirely.
- Change it back to how it used to be with thrust/inertia but still cause the ship to slow down. Yes, in space inertia does not stop, but it's a video game. Having to hold thrust continually is kind of fake. We were copying the Genesis version with that change. It's okay but make the ship move a little easier.
- Redo the vague loading/saving scheme (or at least add a short tutorial).
- Remove the "Delete" options so player can't actually delete any saves. This is a potential problem with an accidental click. And it's not necessary since you can save over any existing file. Then move the Save icons over into the middle area, out of the detail window.
- Move ALL GUI images to a new data/gui folder.
- Look into data/PlanetLoadScripts folder, whether it's even used anymore, and whether the files can be moved into planetsurface (where they seem to belong).
- Consolidate 3 mission doors/rooms into 1 (and delete the extra 2 from the modules list).
- Delete the redundant modules and just use one called Operations (per the original game). Rename ModuleCantina to ModuleOperations. Fix the redundant check in ModeMgr::~ModeMgr().
- Replace TRACE with a custom log file function.
- The ShipConfig background is hideous. At least clean up the overdone "used" look, remove the pipes, but better yet just replace it if possible.
- Remove the ugly bars for in Personnel and show values instead.

Blake00

Nov 27, 2017, 5:01:06 AM11/27/17
to starflighttlc

Hi Jon,

Thanks for fixing the forums. Much better now! :)

Yeah the Allegro SF3 was the one I wish they’d kept going with instead of reinventing the wheel 10x and getting nowhere lol.

I had a feeling release 70 might have its own whole set of problems so I fully understand you changing your mind on a public release. Plus you’d rish getting a ton of negative feedback on issue already fixed. Working towards a public beta release of your new directx version sounds like the better option.

Wow that new feature list is bloody impressive, I can see you’ve worked your ass off! I showed it to Michael and he was impressed too as it addresses some of his issues!

Arrgh I’m sorry to hear that you’re working on it alone again and haven’t had much support mate. :(

I can tell you right now that I’ve got over 150 hungry starflight fans in the fb group who are super keen for a new starflight game to play and feel they were robbed of SF3 due to the endless rebirths and deaths of the project (atm it looks like it’s dead again). So if you release a new test version to get some feedback I’ll post it in the group with some sexy screenshots (& some disclaimers saying “look we know its bugger, we need testers!”) and you’ll get a ton of feedback haha! Instead of endless promises and ideas they’ll actually have something to play so they WILL respond.

In fact feel free to come join our page to represent TLC and post dev updates if you wish. Otherwise I’m more than happy to post news there on your behalf. I get an email every time you reply to this thread so if you ever need me for anything just post here and I’ll know. :)

There’s also quite a few graphic artists and programmers in the group who offered their help but were naturally ignored by the last SF3 team as no one wanted to really lead/admin the project lol. If you want some help then feel free to drop by and pluck up some of this unused talent for TLC! :) I created a roll call talent list HERE.

Jon Harbour

Nov 30, 2017, 9:39:40 PM11/30/17
to starflighttlc
Well, its nice to talk about the game again. I mentioned to Dave Calkins last month (one of the original devs) that my progress this summer was good but I was spending all my free time on it so I needed to take a break. So I wasn't planning on opening it up again for a few months but now I will again.

The renderer is working fine, the problem is the GUI which has to be touched up here and there since it's stubbed Allegro code and I've only converted about 1/4th of the code so far and commented all rendering out in most modules. I want to start with the Starport and get that 100% working before moving to anything else. Frankly, the starport is the hardest part of the game to update, with all the GUI screens with the captain creation screen, the save/load screen, the trade depot, and especially the VERY messy crew assignment screen. I want to get those done 1 at a time, send an update to you guys, and then move on to the next one. Shouldn't be too bad doing it that way.

Problem isn't just the DirectX port, it's that I decided some of those modules needed to be redesigned. If I'd done a simple port, the starport would be done already but I was unhappy with the crew module. That has become 2 separate modules now (like in the original games), where you have crew assignment separate from old HR screen (where you could train, create, delete). By separating those two, the module becomes much more usable. Frankly, it was a mess, and the person who worked on it did that himself, disregarding the design for it. The new crew assign is very simple--you have your current crew and can assign them to bridge positions. Then the other screen is used to manage people.

I'm calling this new version of the game 2.0. So, we'll need to start up a new beta schedule for 2.0 to test the changes. The core gameplay will not be affected at all other than fine tuning. I will get 1 or 2 starport modules done and stub out everything that isn't working to avoid any crashing and put it up for download.

Also here were the last few changes completed not included in the list above:

- Replace Button,Label,ScrollBox with Octane::GUI (adapted as needed).
- Starport doors not drawing with transparency after converting images to png. Background is not being drawn with transparent door openings.
- When a crew member is highlighted, it should be possible to select another crew member without first having to unselect the previous crew member.

Jon Harbour

Nov 30, 2017, 9:43:15 PM11/30/17
to starflighttlc
Yeah the Allegro SF3 was the one I wish they’d kept going with instead of reinventing the wheel 10x and getting nowhere lol.

I chatted with one of the SF3 people a few months ago on YT and suggested something that I haven't mentioned anywhere else.  When the game is finished, if we don't put it up on Steam (and I'm leaning away from that just because after all these years it would be more rewarding to just give it away and let the community tweak it, and probably release the sources). Anyway, what I was getting at is, what if the SF3 people who are left used the TLC project for SF3 and do a complete conversion to their assets?  But, I need to get this porting job done first. Just throwing out the idea.

Jon Harbour

Nov 30, 2017, 9:52:20 PM11/30/17
to starfl...@googlegroups.com
I should organize this "forum" better but for now I'll respond in this one thread. Speaking of which, I guess I could set up a real forum again. I'd rather not. Maybe Steve will let us resume using his just for no other reason than I'm too overworked to do it myself right now (with my day job frankly, I'm exhausted every night and not up for coding much on weekdays).

Here are some teasers. These are NOT done obviously! LOL. But at least you'll get a glimpse of what's happening.

This, as you'll recall, used to have Save, Load, New, and Delete buttons. Delete has been removed and the GUI cleaned up.

Operations replaced the 3 separate career modules. Career types are STILL in the game but now shown in this same module. This is a bit messy but easily touched up. This was one of the modules that ported very easily.

Settings demonstrates the new GUI and I've come to a solution to the listbox where I'm going to support mouse wheel but remove the slider and just use buttons and wheel, do away with the slider as it's been a time sink and I want to get things done quickly even if they're not perfect. This brings up the need for a discussion about screen scaling and possibly revisiting the whole approach to the GUI. At present, the GUI is stretched vertically with black bars on the left/right for very high res. That's fine but you still get font scaling issues. Instead, in a future update, I want to do away with scaling. Anyway it needs to be discussed since I'm not quite sure what's best.

Blake00

Dec 3, 2017, 3:03:18 AM12/3/17
to starflighttlc
Sounds like a good plan man, those screens look good! And yeah the traditional way of handling crew management seems best and probably what fans want.

Using your highly modable TLC engine for SF3 is a VERY good idea hence why I was quick to mention that in the facebook convo (thanks for joining the group btw :) ).

You can still release it on steam for free to get that good exposure of your hard work. It's not done a lot so I'm not sure how they did it but the folks at Crystal Shard released their quest for glory inspired fan game for free on steam after it was greenlit. Only issue is you probably wouldn't be able to use Starflight in the title when releasing on an official platform. You might get away with 'The Lost Colony - A Starflight Story" especially if you put a space between star and flight.. but I don't know.

I definitely prefer the old forums although as you say they could use a good clean too lol!

Yeah scaling sounds like an issue for another day. Just getting it working for now for fans to try is probably good enough.

Jon Harbour

Dec 3, 2017, 3:21:16 PM12/3/17
to starflighttlc
Steam changed their greenlight program so now you have to pay $100 per game. Used to be $100 per developer. I'm really not sure if Steam is worthwhile. If there are any developers interested in seeing this update finished and tweaking it, I'm leaning more in that direction, giving access to the code repository. It's been so many years and frankly, I don't have time to respond to customers and continually improve the game on my own. I would really rather go the route they took with The Ur-Quan Masters and release it for free and at this late stage, just let people have fun tweaking it.

Although, I will continue working on it myself to get it into good shape first. I worked on some code today for the first time in a few months and fixed some bugs, found some new ones. The GUI is still a challenge but porting from Allegro to DirectX was difficult and I'm still in the midst of that. I'd say over half done, though. As far as raw hours go, probably 80 hours would finish it. 2 weeks, give or take, working solo FT.

I'm eager to start a community around this game especially if someone creates SF3 out of it. I would love that after all these years, and it would be great to see some closure on SF3. The TLC team discussed a few times doing a sequel where the player returns to Arth centuries later, which is essentially the SF3 time period anyway as I recall.

A programmer working on this game needs to have solid C++ skill and working knowledge of DirectX 9.0c. No newbie fans. They can play with it after it's done but the repo has to be kept clean until then. So if you know anyone, like for instance, a SF3 programmer, I'm willing to share the repo with them and get some help with this. A good coder will see what I'm doing in the DirectX port and should be able to help. If not, that's okay, I'm going to keep working at it myself now that there's renewed interest in the game.

Also re: Steve's web site. He told me a while back he would mirror the download if we need bandwidth but didn't want to be involved any more. So, aside from this coding forum, we need another one. I actually have a very large SMF forum on my site but the latest goddamn SMF update broke it (those GD idiots) and I didn't feel like fixing it. But that's there and I could probably just overwrite the files with the latest release, assuming the SMF idiots haven't screwed it up even more.

Blake00

Dec 9, 2017, 7:10:18 AM12/9/17
to starflighttlc
Oh man that sucks. I didn't know about the fees.

Hmm yeah maybe when the repro is finished setup a sourceforge or github page? Programmers seem to prefer github these days but they're not overly fan & visitor friendly.

Whereas with sourceforge I've found you can make something pretty fan friendly. I recently helped the Babylon 5 Civ 4 project setup a sourceforge page. The creator had made the page but put nothing in it as he wasn't really interested in that stuff. So I offered to help, he made me admin, I went in and put up some nice pictures, videos and setup some forums for fans. However not being a programmer I have no idea how useful it is for getting outside help on coding, when I look at the code section for the busy dune legacy project on sourceforge I see a very github looking section with source files and forking etc.

Jon Harbour

Dec 10, 2017, 12:11:47 PM12/10/17
to starflighttlc
We've been using Assembla.com for the project for many years. I've gotten to where I can't stand using GIT though it could be just from using bad software. I don't like the design of GIT. Assembla might have a user limit with the free account. I'm willing to migrate but would prefer to finish the current upgrades to the engine at the home repo.

Is SF3 hosted on sourceforge? I gave up on sourceforge a couple years ago when it was being run by monkeys but maybe that's been resolved? Looks like it has site and wiki and fan options whereas Assembla is for storing code and tracking issues. I don't mind moving it at all, but let's get the current issues resolved so there's a clean, playable project before attempting to convert it to SF3.

Also, I suspect some developers will insist on putting it into the SF3 repo as a branch, at which point as "TLC" will be subsumed into SF3. There's got to be a better option. We might want to work on TLC again in the future and I don't want dependencies on SF3. This is complicated but like I said, I've dealt with open source people before, and they're unreliable at best. And, I don't necessarily want this to go open source. Inviting new team members and using it as an engine for SF3 does not mean open source. I personally just don't have the time to manage random commits. We had trouble with just a single person (who insisted on making all the sources Linux compatible).

Blake00

Jan 6, 2018, 2:59:26 AM1/6/18
to starflighttlc
Sorry for the delay Jon. Work got INSANE in the final weeks of the year and then I went on holidays and completely forgot haha!

Yeah one of the problems with SF3 was the lack of public hosting. As far as I know there's no sourceforge or github pages for the project. Just a few people running around with all the old files and no one particularly interesting in working on the project anymore. Maybe once you've updated TLC and offer the engine (for private use) to the SF3 community someone may decide to have a go as your engine will have removed a huge amount of work required but don't hold your breath on that as things are looking very dead there sadly.

Well you'd know the problems of sourceforge and open source project management better than me mate haha. You probably noticed that B5 sourceforge page I sent you has no open source content on it.. the page was just created to host a mod download! I then came along and helped him 'sex it up' a bit with pics, vids, info and a forum. To answer your FB msg question I have no programming skills, not much of an artist either so I'm no help to you other than some testing and public relations/marketing stuff (eg via my fb SF group, website and youtube channel). I'm usually buried in my own projects as I'm always bouncing between my website, youtube channel and my own game/mod projects Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen and Star Trek TNG Doom. Because of the work I do to help promote fan games and mod projects I also have testing roles on a few other projects too. So as a result I can never fully commit to one thing and just bounce around helping when I can haha.

Message has been deleted

Blake00

Jul 18, 2018, 4:57:19 AM7/18/18
to starflighttlc
Hi Jon,

Any news regarding your work on the new build? Had a couple of people comment or like on my 'Welcome Jon' post about your project in the starflight fb group. One said he tried out the old demo and loved it.

Jon Harbour

Jul 28, 2018, 9:45:03 PM7/28/18
to starflighttlc
Hello,
I've been on vacation for the past two weeks. Sorry for not replying sooner.
Last year at this time I was working feverishly on the new update with
a DirectX port and making good progress, but couldn't get anyone from
the old team to pitch in so it became a time sink and I couldn't
finish it. The code is updated to DirectX but most of the screens
haven't been corrected to use the new code so about half of the game
is in limbo. I just can't do it alone. I wanted to go open source and
see what others can do with it but that's a bad idea in the current
state of the sources. It builds and runs with the starport and etc
working, but the screens that don't work need to be fixed before it
goes OS. And....I didn't have time to do anything more with it. At
least not solo. I would if I had some help. That's lame, I know, but I
work 60 hrs/week and my spare time is rare and I didn't want to spend
any more time on a lost cause...not without help. To get this going
again, I need a couple C++ programmers with some old-school DirectX 9
experience. (Nothing super advanced here, not even any shaders, just
2D).

Great news about Greg Johnson! But why is he using that unknown
platform to raise money? That's going to hurt support vs using KS.

Jon

Blake00

Jul 29, 2018, 2:30:47 AM7/29/18
to starflighttlc
Hi mate,

Yeah I had a bad feeling that's what had happened. Sucks you couldn't get any help. I'm not a programmer but I might be able to help you get in touch with some. When the SF3 project was having it's last rebirth I put together a list of people interested in helping. That list included multiple programmers. Opie/Brandon never bothered to contact any of them as his heart just didn't seem to be in the rebirth sadly. Maybe you could do something with the lists and contact some of these people?

Here's the copy I keep on the SF3 fb page:
It contains their names which you can look up in the SF3 group member list and pm them. Just intro yourself as the creator of the successful SF-LC project (so they don't think you're some unproven upstart) and you saw them in Blake's SF volunteer list on the fb page and i bet you could score a few helpers.
There's also a copy on the old SF3 forum here:
It contains forum names which you could use to PM people there too although that place is pretty dead, you'd prob be better off with fb.

Couple of people I personally recommend are..

Michael Gams (Gamxin in SF3 forums)
Matthew Gams (dast78 in SF3 forums)
Michael and his father are programmers who have toyed with taking over the SF3 project and finishing it. They own he rights to starflight3.com so now Greg wants it off them haha! With an official SF3 coming now they probably won't bother touching the fan one now so I bet you could lure one or both of them to TLC instead. In fact I'm pretty sure Michael said he posted on this forum a year or 2 ago but didn't hear back.

Todd (Todd82TA in SF3 forums)
Todd is a programmer who actually got Opie to bring back the SF3 project from the dead a few years ago. Even though the rebirth has failed I still communicate with him over email (he doesn't have fb) as he really wants to get his hands on the original mostly complete early 2000s SF3 project source files and finish it but it's probably lost forever now sadly. He's passionate about all things SF so if you chucked him an email I'm sure he'd be interested.

Yeah I'd never heard of Fig until this. I can only guess that Greg wanted a crowd funding platform that allowed beta hidden private projects (it's not public yet) and possibly they take a smaller cut than kickstarter do. Dunno!