OT: Windows 2000 question

Carsten Hintz

Jul 22, 2003, 4:09:56 AM7/22/03
hi all.
this is kind of OT, but I know that I find the right kind of Windows
experts in this group, so I dare to aks.

situation:
I am running eCS 1.03 as my main OS and heavily use Virtual PC 5.1 with
gues systems being eCS, OS/2 and Windows 2000 Professional. the later I
use for gaming (Icewind Dale 2 and good old Age Of Wonders right now).

question:
I would like to optimize the Win2k guest for speed. I know there are a
lot of background processes running as Windows services. many of those
start automatically at system start. can anybody tell me, which of these
can be safely disabled? what else can I do to reduce system load on the
Win2k guest? keep in mind that I only need to be able to launch some
games and things like firewall and stuff are handled by the host OS already.

thanks and regards,
Carsten

Salvador R. Manzo

Jul 22, 2003, 11:25:21 AM7/22/03
http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm has a nice list of
default services for Win2k (Pro and Server) along with some
recommendations for Service status (Auto, Manual, Disabled)

---
Salvador R. Manzo
System Administrator
Finance and Accounting
USC Auxiliaries Services

These are my views, not USC's. So, there.

GLMarx

Jul 22, 2003, 6:00:03 PM7/22/03
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:09:56 UTC, Carsten Hintz <Carste...@gmx.de>
wrote:

Carsten,

Go here: http://www.blackviper.com/index.html
Everything you ever needed/wanted to know to optimize Windows 2000/XP
for speed ...

BlackViper has complete sections on turning off SERVICES to increase
performance ...
It's a great site for hacking Windows ...

I have no vested interest ... it's just not too often to run into a
site that doesn't cater to windows newbies ...

Let me know what you think ...
Gregory L. Marx