PMView Pro

Brad Wardell [Stardock]

Jun 9, 2003, 5:54:39 PM6/9/03
I saw over in the OS/2 news groups that people are giving Peter grief that
people who bought PMView with lifetime updates aren't getting PMView Pro for
free.

My view is that lifetime upgrades have to do with that version. I.e. you buy
PMView 1 you get free updates to PMView 1 for the lifetime of that product.
He gave PMView 2 away to people who bought PMView 1 which was incredibly
generous given how much PMView has changed since the .9 versions that were
around for so long.

What's really ironic is that it's OS/2 users giving him grief. I mean, do
they realize how little leverage they have? Why alienate one of the handful
of people still actively making OS/2 software?

While most OS/2 users are not crazy bastards oblivious to the state of
reality, it is amazing that anyone at this stage in OS/2's existence would
complain about someone making a new version of a $40 program for them. It's
a bargain at $40 and I'll be happily buying a copy this week (for Windows).

Brad

Kris Kwilas [Stardock]

Jun 9, 2003, 7:47:49 PM6/9/03
"Brad Wardell [Stardock]" <bwar...@stardock.remove.com> wrote in message

> complain about someone making a new version of a $40 program for them.
It's
> a bargain at $40 and I'll be happily buying a copy this week (for
Windows).

He just got $40 of my personal money as well. Buy this program.

Kris

Vaughn Bender

Jun 9, 2003, 9:43:08 PM6/9/03
Hi

> He just got $40 of my personal money as well. Buy this program.

Same here, I was also hoping the same deal would come out where you
could purchased a combo license for eCS / Win platform like he had
with previous release.

Vaughn

--
Reseller for Norman Data Antivirus
(http://www.stechgroup.ca).

ProNews/2 v1.5.2.cp012

Michal Necasek

Jun 10, 2003, 1:26:56 PM6/10/03
Brad Wardell [Stardock] wrote:

> What's really ironic is that it's OS/2 users giving him grief. I mean, do
> they realize how little leverage they have? Why alienate one of the handful
> of people still actively making OS/2 software?

Because some people are idiots? I don't see what that has to do with
the OS
they're using ;-)

Michal

Brad Wardell [Stardock]

Jun 10, 2003, 5:42:47 PM6/10/03

"Michal Necasek" <Mic...@scitechsoft.com> wrote in message

Oh? Same situation on Windows exists too right. Find a post on usenet
complaining about this in a Windows group.

The problem with the OS/2 market is illustrated here and it's what helped
kill it. OS/2 users are like Linux users in that they are generally less
likely to purchase software than people on Windows or MacOS. However, unlike
Linux, they are not willing develop software on their own in sufficient
quantities to make the OS viable.

Brad

> Michal

David M. Bishop

Jun 12, 2003, 2:34:49 PM6/12/03
[disclaimer] I know nothing about the specific arguments about PMView (other
than what Brad just posted) and in fact, never even heard about PMView until
5 minutes ago.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but when someone promises lifetime updates, my
assumption is that I will be getting free updates for the life of the
program REGARDLESS of the version number or whether the work "Pro" has been
added to the title (although I would probably be convinced otherwise if the
free upgrade promise extended to a standard version and had to pay for a pro
version).

If the promise was for free updates for the current version number (let's
say the v1.x series) or until a certain version number (let's say until
v2.00 comes out) than that's another story.

For example, I purchased WinZip 6.0 a long time ago (something like 5 or 6
years ago) with a promise of free lifetime upgrades. As of today, I am
using a beta of version 9 and have still never had to pay again. If I had
to pay $29 a year (or $29 a version) for it, then I would probably have used
one of the many free ones instead. For me, the cost wouldn't be justified.

IMO, no one forced Peter to offer free lifetime updates in the first place,
but he should honor that promise to his existing users (the ones that made
his program popular in the first place and whose good-faith purchases
allowed him to continue to improve his product). If that wasn't a viable
business model for him, then release the Pro version without a free upgrade
promise for NEW users or make a stripped-down standard version available for
free upgraders with lots of incentives to move to the pro version.

Dave

"Brad Wardell [Stardock]" <bwar...@stardock.remove.com> wrote in message

> I saw over in the OS/2 news groups that people are giving Peter grief that
> people who bought PMView with lifetime updates aren't getting PMView Pro
for
> free.
>
> My view is that lifetime upgrades have to do with that version. I.e. you
buy
> PMView 1 you get free updates to PMView 1 for the lifetime of that
product.
> He gave PMView 2 away to people who bought PMView 1 which was incredibly
> generous given how much PMView has changed since the .9 versions that were
> around for so long.

[snip]

> Brad

Rainer Sarnow

Jun 13, 2003, 2:10:32 PM6/13/03
On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:42:47 -0400, Brad Wardell [Stardock] wrote:

>OS/2 users are like Linux users in that they are generally less
>likely to purchase software than people on Windows

see header... :-(

PlusFuck ä.. PlusPack

Gruss

Rainer Sarnow

Brad Wardell [Stardock]

Jun 15, 2003, 9:04:20 AM6/15/03

"Rainer Sarnow" <sar...@t-online.de> wrote in message

Obviously some OS/2 users purchase software otherwise there'd never have
been any OS/2 ISVs. There are Linux users who are willing to pay for
software too. But the exception does change the general tendancy.

Brad

Carsten Hintz

Jun 30, 2003, 4:34:27 AM6/30/03
I bought PMView 2k when it was too late to get a "lifetime license".
there was a timeline and I missed it, so I 'only' got the normal 2.x
license meaning I am not among those concerned.

but I still wonder what [rights] they got that I missed if they have to
pay for 3.x as well?!?

I am quite happy now with PMView 2.x, Irfanview and JCDSee. all are
associated with Image-files, PMView being the default assoc.

regarding the arguable generic difference between OS/2 and Windows
users: I like to offer a potential reason why OS/2 users are more likely
to complain in this situation. as a Windows user small tools (as such I
do regard PMView) and home applications come plentyfull and for free.
just taking what the IT-magazines give away on CD/DVD each month would
find my in a huge heap of [quasi-]free Image viewers (but not freeware -
fullversions of once expensive software, often in backdated versions).

so I think it is safe to say, that as an OS/2 (eCS) user I actually have
bought more software than I would have needed to buy would I be using
Windows. this is the price I have to pay. most OS/2 (eCS) users I know
think along the same lines. they invest money in OS/2-software where in
Windows they would have gotten the 'same' for free. I do imagine that in
this situation unkept or misunderstood promises are very likely to
provoce some reaction.

kind regards,
Carsten