STAR Newsgroup Posting 1-Feb-2016

John Lennox

Feb 1, 2016, 12:27:58 PM2/1/16
to star-re...@googlegroups.com

STAR Website:  If you haven’t been to the STAR website with a browser, you will be very pleased with the content.  There’s much more detail than what you will initially find on a mobile device.

http://stargville.wix.com/stargreenville  The folks who developed this did a super job.  The video on the Donate page (with narrative by Lillian?) is priceless…..two minutes, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIPdFp7Oto   It currently it has 70 views.  So, let’s see how we can get that to 170 before the next meeting.

Newsgroup:  Back in 2009, I created a Gmail account and a newsgroup for Star Recreation.  Although simply for testing at the time, the group members were limited to the Board.

I have now added each of you to the newsgroup so that we can illustrate how simple it is to post and receive group messages.  Not to worry, we can readily deactivate any members (e.g. when you graduate).  So, here’s an incentive:   the LAST person to reply to this post has to bring a Coke to the next meeting for the first one to respond.

The key benefits of a newsgroup are that anyone can request to join the group; and then when a member posts to the group, the newcomers also get the information.  Another group that I started in 2007 currently has 162 members.  Although some e-mail accounts may no longer be active, we aren’t concerned because the purpose of the group is to allow the active members to share information, which they do every week.  What if all the folks who had attended STAR activities last year were in the newsgroup and were invited to the Super Bowl Party.  Or were just given and update from the board about all the activities that are planned for 2016.

To post to the newsgroup, add this address to your contacts:  star-re...@googlegroups.com

Then any time you want to send the group a message, you just email to star-re...@googlegroups.com

Please follow the link below to see what a newcomer would see if they wanted to join the group.  There should be a link and explanation of the newsgroup on the website.  I’ve already put a link to the Website on the Newsgroup home page.  http://groups.google.com/group/star-recreation?hl=en

Facebook:  I’m not sure what’s happened to Facebook, but the older link that I put on the newsgroup has not been updated since October….126 friends

https://www.facebook.com/people/Star-Greenville/100009098709196 .

So let’s put some measures in place.  Baseline on newsgroup is 8 members on Feb 1 and 126 for Facebook.  Let’s see how those numbers look at the end of the month between now and the Beach Retreat.

Enough for one day.  Let’s figure out how to get others to engage using these online tools, but also be sure not to let this technological focus exclude anyone.  Jaimie is updating the old e-mail list, so if folks still want to be in the loop, we can add them to the newsgroup and then send some information about this year’s schedule.

….

Thanks,

John