About promiscuous filter

小林賢子

Jun 8, 2024, 5:05:59 AMJun 8
to STAR-Fusion
Dear Dr. Haas

Always thanks.
Today I would like to ask about the 'promiscuous fusion filter'.
You wrote as below.

  • Promiscuous fusion filter: if candidate GeneA–GeneB exists along with alternative fusion candidates GeneA–GeneC and GeneA–GeneD, and the fusion evidence supporting GeneA–GeneB greatly exceeds that of the alternative fusions (at least 20× support), the alternatives are discarded and the dominant fusion pair is retained. If afterwards, GeneA is found to have at least ten fusion partners, all GeneA-containing fusion pairs are excluded from the sample altogether.

I think this is the way it should be, I guess. However, I don't understand it theoretically.
Are Promiscuous fusions false positives (which are not really present) or are they some kind of algorithmic artifact?

Tetsuko Kobayashi

Brian Haas

Jun 8, 2024, 8:03:48 AMJun 8
to 小林賢子, STAR-Fusion
Hi,

It could be biological or artifacts - some highly expressed transcripts get trans-spliced into other transcripts, and during cDNA prep and PCR, there's a lot of false priming that can happen among some sequences, resulting in these kinds of findings.

Brian J. Haas
The Broad Institute
http://broadinstitute.org/~bhaas