Stanford MLSys Seminar Episode 65: Alkis Polyzotis [Today, 1.35-2.30pm PT]

Karan Goel

May 12, 2022, 11:02:02 AM5/12/22
to stanford-ml...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We're back with the sixty-fifth episode of the MLSys Seminar today from 1.35-2.30pm PT.

We'll be joined by Alkis Polyzotis, who will talk about data-centric AI at Databricks. The format is a 30 minute talk followed by a 30 minute podcast-style discussion, where the live audience can ask questions.

Guests: Alkis Polyzotis
Title: What can Data-Centric AI Learn from Data and ML Engineering?
Abstract: Data-centric AI is a new and exciting research topic in the AI community, but many organizations already build and maintain various "data-centric" applications whose goal is to produce high quality data. These range from traditional business data processing applications (e.g., "how much should we charge each of our customers this month?") to production ML systems such as recommendation engines. The fields of data and ML engineering have arisen in recent years to manage these applications, and both include many interesting novel tools and processes. In this talk we present lessons from data and ML engineering that could be interesting to apply in data-centric AI, based on our experience developing data and ML platforms that serve thousands of applications at a range of organizations. In particular, we will discuss lessons related to data monitoring and the challenges to apply it effectively in production ML systems.
Bio: Neoklis (Alkis) Polyzotis is a software engineer at Databricks, working on the intersection of data management and ML. Prior to that, he was a research scientist at Google and a professor at UC Santa Cruz. He received his PhD from the U of Wisconsin at Madison.

PS: In some great personal news, congratulations to our very own Piero Molino for announcing his company Predibase, which just came out of stealth. Piero and friends are building cool, new declarative ML tooling for enterprise, and we're rooting for them. Go check out his company and support his work!

See you all there!

Best,
Karan