[Project] The Revolution in Tanner's Lane, by William Hale White

David

Mar 18, 2023, 7:22:01 AM3/18/23
to Standard Ebooks
While I plod on with proofreading Trollope's short stories (enjoyable! about 1/2 way through), I'd like to start prepping another title: The Revolution in Tanner's Lane, by William Hale White.

Hale White is not well known, which is a shame. He's a fine author. He wrote under the pseudonym "Mark Rutherford", and "Rutherford's" novels are edited by "his friend, Reuben Shapcott", also a fictitious figure. These attributions are more important for Rutherford's "autobiographical" works, but appear also on the title page of Revolution.

I assume the repo is `william-hale-white_the_revolution...`, however. It would still be good to get confirmation of that before I start.

At some point I would like to add some more of his titles, but this one I enjoyed especially, and it would make a nice addition to the corpus (IMO).

Hope this looks OK!

David / Fife, UK

David

Mar 18, 2023, 10:41:30 AM3/18/23
to Standard Ebooks
Or, on second thought since my original post, is it `mark-rutherford_the-revolution...`? We have George Eliot as `george-eliot_` and Mark Twain as `mark-twain_`. And Hale White's fiction all has "Mark Rutherford" on the titlepage....

Obviously, then, I need some guidance on this one!

D.

On Saturday, 18 March 2023 at 11:22:01 UTC David wrote:
...He wrote under the pseudonym "Mark Rutherford", and "Rutherford's" novels are edited by "his friend, Reuben Shapcott", also a fictitious figure. These attributions are more important for Rutherford's "autobiographical" works, but appear also on the title page of Revolution.

Vince Rice

Mar 18, 2023, 11:41:17 AM3/18/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 18, 2023, at 9:41 AM, David <djre...@gmail.com> wrote:

Or, on second thought since my original post, is it `mark-rutherford_the-revolution...`? We have George Eliot as `george-eliot_` and Mark Twain as `mark-twain_`. And Hale White's fiction all has "Mark Rutherford" on the titlepage....

Obviously, then, I need some guidance on this one!

You don’t really, you figured it out yourself. :)
We use the author’s name, and the author’s name is Mark Rutherford. This applies even to the full name (see 9.11.4).

Alex Cabal

Mar 18, 2023, 2:00:48 PM3/18/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Vince, you're up next to manage, can you take this one with David
reviewing?

On 3/18/23 10:40 AM, Vince Rice wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2023, at 9:41 AM, David <djre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Or, on second thought since my original post, is it
>> `mark-rutherford_the-revolution...`? We have George Eliot as
>> `george-eliot_` and Mark Twain as `mark-twain_`. And Hale White's
>> fiction /all/ has "Mark Rutherford" on the titlepage....
>>
>> Obviously, then, I need some guidance on this one!
>
> You don’t really, you figured it out yourself. :)
> We use the author’s name, and the author’s name is Mark Rutherford. This
> applies even to the full name (see 9.11.4).
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5FF33F6F-F8CC-436F-912A-F14A62B67708%40letterboxes.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5FF33F6F-F8CC-436F-912A-F14A62B67708%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Mar 18, 2023, 2:13:47 PM3/18/23
to Standard Ebooks
Will do.

David

Mar 18, 2023, 4:15:21 PM3/18/23
to Standard Ebooks

David Grigg

Mar 18, 2023, 6:40:13 PM3/18/23
to Standard Ebooks
I can review. David: please make sure to mention my name when you are ready, and nudge me if I don't respond within a couple of days,

David

Mar 19, 2023, 11:53:13 AM3/19/23
to Standard Ebooks
So, one of those (annoying) italics questions. In this title, there are a number (<10) of italicized embedded quotations. Here are representative examples: p73p104p164p341, and p355.

The PG transcription puts all of these in `<i>...</i>` wrappers, excluding punctuation (so there are a LOT of `i` tags!).

My expectation is that the SE edition puts these in regular type. My hunch is that this operation would be "[Editorial]", even though no content is being changed. (I think this has been settled as a convention?)

If both of those are correct, then it would be expedient to break off the manual semantics phase (which I'm now in), get rid of all of these cases in one go in a single "[Editorial]" commit, then resume the manual semanticating.

Confirmation or correction on this would be much appreciated! :) D.

David

Mar 19, 2023, 12:01:08 PM3/19/23
to Standard Ebooks
And a second question, while I'm at it. I feel like I ought to know this by now, but...

When something quoted appears in a `<blockquote>...</blockquote>` frame, and if there are existing quotation marks (NOT marking dialogue), do the quotation marks get removed? I expect so (since the quote is already typographically signalled).

And (again), if that is so, I assume THIS is "[Editorial]", since there is a visible change in content.

To be explicit, here's an example:

Selection_049.png

These verses are already in blockquote tags, so I'm thinking we don't want also the surrounding quotation marks on those.

Thanks again for confirmation or correction! D.

Vince

Mar 19, 2023, 1:37:29 PM3/19/23
to Standard Ebooks
Well, the first link is a French quote, so it would be italicized and tagged because it’s non-English.

For the rest, yes, as 8.2.1 says, we rarely want italics and quotes. I personally don’t make those editorial, but if you do them all in their own commit, it’s easy to change if someone else disagrees. (And you can do it after you finish your other changes, you don’t have to break off and do these in the middle.)

Vince

David

Apr 10, 2023, 8:12:54 AM4/10/23
to Standard Ebooks
A semantics question. We have the following text:

Selection_056.png

in which "Star", "Rover", "Eclipse", and "Times" are horse-drawn coaches. (We're in the year 1840.)

SE's "vehicle" semantics include (at the moment) only "airplane", "auto", and "train". How, then, should these italics be tagged?

But confirmation would be appreciated. :) (This one is almost ready for David's review....)

D.

David

Apr 10, 2023, 10:33:04 AM4/10/23
to Standard Ebooks
So, time for a cover, too. I had so hoped to find some sort of "riot" scene, but failed to find anything appropriate. (Suggestions welcome!)

However, I think this works decently well, corresponding to a scene in the book: Augustus Leopold Egg, "Come Rest in this Bosom my own Stricken Dear" (Cleveland Museum of Art, CC0):

cover-egg-360x540.jpg

Hope that looks OK! There is no date for the painting, and I've failed to find one elsewhere, so I'm assuming it goes into the colophon as "completed in the 19th century" (as some other SE books have it).

D.

Vince Rice

Apr 10, 2023, 10:58:29 AM4/10/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yea, we can use the “generic” tags when needed (publication, music, vehicle, etc.)

On Apr 10, 2023, at 7:12 AM, David <djre...@gmail.com> wrote:

A semantics question. We have the following text:

Vince Rice

Apr 10, 2023, 11:01:01 AM4/10/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Looks good!

On Apr 10, 2023, at 9:33 AM, David <djre...@gmail.com> wrote:

So, time for a cover, too. I had so hoped to find some sort of "riot" scene, but failed to find anything appropriate. (Suggestions welcome!)

However, I think this works decently well, corresponding to a scene in the book: Augustus Leopold Egg, "Come Rest in this Bosom my own Stricken Dear" (Cleveland Museum of Art, CC0):

David

Apr 10, 2023, 12:42:05 PM4/10/23
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks, Vince. And with that, this is indeed ready for review, David.

I think there's just a couple things to be aware of:
  • ch 22, there are  2x `‑` U+2011; `typogrify` will (incorrectly) change those
  • ch 23: `Lord-i-mercy` : `seminticate` (incorrectly) wants to tag that as a Roman numeral
Thanks so much!

D.

David Grigg

Apr 10, 2023, 8:04:42 PM4/10/23
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks, David. The next couple of days are busy for me because of my podcast, but I’ll get to it straight after that.

David Grigg

Apr 13, 2023, 12:33:29 AM4/13/23
to Standard Ebooks
David: this all looks very clean to me. Just a couple of minor issues I'll raise here rather than bother adding them to the repository:

In local.css you've added custom CSS to style all-petite-caps in an address in chapter 1, but I don't believe you need the "section" at the start of the selector, just #chapter-1 > p > span

In the long description, you need to add a link to the SE page for Mark Rutherford, same format as that for George Elliot, etc. Yes, I know that page doesn't yet exist, but it will.

Other than those, it all looks very good to me.

David

Apr 13, 2023, 4:26:21 AM4/13/23
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks for the review, David - those are all done now. (The last one is a "Doh!" — I added the `a` anchor, and forgot to come back and fill in the URL!)

If you're content, then it's ready for Alex.

D.

David at Standard Ebooks

Apr 13, 2023, 5:29:06 AM4/13/23
to Standard Ebooks
OK, over to you, Alex.

Alex Cabal

Apr 14, 2023, 4:17:54 PM4/14/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Looks great David, thanks! I've gone ahead and released it.

Note that in the long description, we only want author biographical info
if it's directly relevant to the book. We don't include general info
about the author because if we have multiple books by them, then they
will all start to include the same redundant biographical info.

On 4/12/23 11:33 PM, David Grigg wrote:
> David: this all looks very clean to me. Just a couple of minor issues
> I'll raise here rather than bother adding them to the repository:

> instead, as it's obviously an emphasised syllable.
>
> In local.css you've added custom CSS to style all-petite-caps in an
> address in chapter 1, but I don't believe you need the "section" at the
> start of the selector, just #chapter-1 > p > span
>
> In the long description, you need to add a link to the SE page for Mark
> Rutherford, same format as that for George Elliot, etc. Yes, I know that
> page doesn't yet exist, but it will.
>
> Other than those, it all looks very good to me.
>
> On Tuesday, 11 April 2023 at 10:04:42 UTC+10 David Grigg wrote:
>
> Thanks, David. The next couple of days are busy for me because of my
> podcast, but I’ll get to it straight after that.
>
> On Tuesday, 11 April 2023 at 02:42:05 UTC+10 David wrote:
>
> Thanks, Vince. And with that, this is indeed ready for review,
> David.
>
> https://github.com/dajare/mark-rutherford_the-revolution-in-tanners-lane <https://github.com/dajare/mark-rutherford_the-revolution-in-tanners-lane>
>
> I /think/ there's just a couple things to be aware of:
>
> * ch 22, there are  2x `‑` U+2011; `typogrify` will
> (incorrectly) change those
> * ch 23: `Lord-i-mercy` : `seminticate` (incorrectly) wants to
> tag that as a Roman numeral
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> D.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5bfb3a81-a8c6-4983-ade0-0002065b307dn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5bfb3a81-a8c6-4983-ade0-0002065b307dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David

Apr 14, 2023, 6:52:42 PM4/14/23
to Standard Ebooks
Re: author bio - makes sense! Hopefully it doesn't end too abruptly now, but it still looks fit for purpose. :)

Thanks!

D.