[Next Project] The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather

Lan Wang

Jan 27, 2021, 12:42:51 AM1/27/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex

Now that I've sorted out all my technical problems (sigh), I'd like to get onto another book and suggest The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather. Looks relatively straightforward, with parts, which will be fun to work out. And all the capitalisation!

The nice thing is that the book title is taken from a painting by Jules Breton (1884) (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Song_of_the_Lark_-_Jules_Breton.png), which hopefully I can use for the cover (more research required).

Anyway, it doesn't look like anyone has claimed this one, so I'm up for it!

Thanks

Cheers, Lan

Robin Whittleton

Jan 27, 2021, 12:49:06 AM1/27/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately we’re already using that cover for the Communist Manifesto: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/karl-marx_friedrich-engels

On 27 Jan 2021, at 06:43, Lan Wang <l...@sinoceltic.com> wrote:

Hi Alex

Lan Wang

Jan 27, 2021, 12:50:14 AM1/27/21
to Standard Ebooks
Rats! OK. Never mind, I could probably use on of Jules Breton's other paintings of a similar ilk...

Alex Cabal

Jan 27, 2021, 1:48:36 PM1/27/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, you can work on that. Note that the PG transcription appears to be
using ALL CAPS instead of italics which means they've probably dropped
other formatting. Please carefully review the page scans to restore
italics and any other formatting that might have been cut by PG. It
looks like there's a lot of language tags in here.

Send me a link to your repo once you get started. Thanks!

Lan Wang

Jan 27, 2021, 10:45:40 PM1/27/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks Alex. Yes, this looks like a very early Gutenberg book. I remember in those days everything was in plain text and you had to insert extra spaces and manual line breaks within paras to make it look justified! 😱 Anyway, I love fixing that sort of stuff...

Cheers, Lan

Lan Wang

Jan 28, 2021, 4:02:34 AM1/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
So for the cover, I'd like to suggest The Shepherd's Star (1887), by Jules Breton (who painted The Song of the Lark, from which Cather took the title). While it's a bit similar-ish to The Song of the Lark, I like the idea of using his work for this book, given the connection. The painting is reproduced in Masters in Art: A Series of Illustrated Manuscripts , Vol. 8, Part 94, October, 1907 (https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.fl3nyz&view=1up&seq=411), which is available at HathiTrust (catalogue record: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000048476).

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Cheers, Lan

Alex Cabal

Jan 28, 2021, 10:55:36 AM1/28/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That works, thanks!

On 1/28/21 3:02 AM, Lan Wang wrote:
> So for the cover, I'd like to suggest /The Shepherd's Star/ (1887), by
> Jules Breton (who painted /The Song of the Lark/, from which Cather took
> the title). While it's a bit similar-ish to /The Song of the Lark/, I
> like the idea of using his work for this book, given the connection. The
> painting is reproduced in /Masters in Art: A Series of Illustrated
> Manuscripts/ , Vol. 8, Part 94, October, 1907
> (https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.fl3nyz&view=1up&seq=411),
> which is available at HathiTrust (catalogue record:
> https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000048476).
>
> The actual image I sourced from Wikimedia:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jules_Breton_-_Shepherd’s_Star_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jules_Breton_-_Shepherd%E2%80%99s_Star_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/04b25e3f-37a7-4763-b6cc-5e84d9a2a81dn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/04b25e3f-37a7-4763-b6cc-5e84d9a2a81dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lan Wang

Jun 23, 2021, 5:49:24 AM6/23/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex

You'll be glad to know that I'm getting close to the end of finishing The Song of the Lark (I've proofread it completely and just need to finalise any last errors, CSS etc.) Sorry it's taken so long!

However, now that I've read the book, I'd like to suggest that, if possible, we swap the painting "The Song of the Lark" that has already been used on the cover of the Communist Manifesto with the other Jules Breton work that I found ("The Shepherd's Star"). This is because not only is this novel named after the painting, but it also discusses the painting in some detail in the book. Readers who aren't familiar with the original painting might mistake The Shepherd's Star for it, which would puzzle them somewhat no doubt.

I'm not sure if these things are set in stone, but it seems to be a sensible idea to make the cover as appropriate as possible to the work. Just about every other print or epub version of this book that I've seen depicts the original painting on them.

What do you think?

Thanks
Cheers, Lan

Alex Cabal

Jun 24, 2021, 12:32:42 PM6/24/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I know the painting was inspired by the book but it works really well
for Manifesto, so let's leave it for now.

On 6/23/21 4:49 AM, Lan Wang wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> <https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.fl3nyz&view=1up&seq=411>),
> > which is available at HathiTrust (catalogue record:
> > https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000048476
> <https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000048476>).
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Song_of_the_Lark_-_Jules_Breton.png>),
>

> > > which hopefully I can use for the cover (more research
> > required).
> > >
> > > Anyway, it doesn't look like anyone has claimed this one, so
> > I'm up for it!
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Cheers, Lan
> > >
> > > --
> > it, send
> > > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aaa70067-32a2-4a6d-8d31-11234539fdf8n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aaa70067-32a2-4a6d-8d31-11234539fdf8n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aaa70067-32a2-4a6d-8d31-11234539fdf8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aaa70067-32a2-4a6d-8d31-11234539fdf8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/04b25e3f-37a7-4763-b6cc-5e84d9a2a81dn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/04b25e3f-37a7-4763-b6cc-5e84d9a2a81dn%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/04b25e3f-37a7-4763-b6cc-5e84d9a2a81dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/04b25e3f-37a7-4763-b6cc-5e84d9a2a81dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8a2bda29-c9ca-4539-8629-8527b2f34afan%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8a2bda29-c9ca-4539-8629-8527b2f34afan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lan Wang

Jul 27, 2021, 1:41:14 AM7/27/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex

I'm happy to say that I've finally completed this ebook. Sorry it took so long. I hope it's all OK for publication.

Thanks
Cheers, Lan

Alex Cabal

Jul 27, 2021, 11:40:58 AM7/27/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

David Grigg

Jul 27, 2021, 7:24:53 PM7/27/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/47216d55-324e-c03f-763a-148bf2b03efd%40standardebooks.org.

David Grigg

Jul 30, 2021, 1:24:28 AM7/30/21
to Standard Ebooks
Lan: I've raised a number of (mostly minor) issues on the repository. Could you fix those and let me know when you've done it?

Lan Wang

Jul 30, 2021, 3:32:59 AM7/30/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hi David

Thanks for all that detailed feedback. I'll get on to the issues shortly and let you know.

Cheers, Lan

David Grigg

Jul 31, 2021, 12:51:36 AM7/31/21
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, this all looks good now. Well done!

Alex, I think this is ready to go.

Lan Wang

Jul 31, 2021, 12:52:50 AM7/31/21
to Standard Ebooks
Woohoo! Thanks for all your help!

Cheers, Lan

Alex Cabal

Jul 31, 2021, 12:38:34 PM7/31/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great work, thanks Lan!

I made some corrections before release. Some notes for the future:n

- The book was missing dedication CSS and the dedication was generally
unstyled (missing small caps, italics, etc.)

- For some reason there were a lot of class="first-child" selectors in
there that were applying duplicate CSS. I cleaned all those up. I think
perhaps you ran build --check, used the hyperlinks from the terminal to
open the file, and pasted those updates back in to the source. The
problem is that build --check will point you to the BUILT versions of
the files, which are not the same as the source versions. You must be
careful to only update the source versions when correcting epubcheck
errors.

- Spelling modernization: modernize-spelling removed some dashes from
dialog that was spoken in a dialect or accent. Those should be preserved
so I added them back in.

- The End should always be removed.

I've gone ahead and released it--thanks!
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0cae7aad-a62d-442a-b8ea-a0d612de6082n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0cae7aad-a62d-442a-b8ea-a0d612de6082n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>
>> --
>> emails from it, send an email to
>> standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/47216d55-324e-c03f-763a-148bf2b03efd%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/47216d55-324e-c03f-763a-148bf2b03efd%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a564caa8-cbce-4e8a-a953-817a26c06298n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a564caa8-cbce-4e8a-a953-817a26c06298n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lan Wang

Aug 1, 2021, 4:20:44 AM8/1/21
to Standard Ebooks
Woohoo! Thanks Alex. I've noted your comments for next time. David actually told me take out the dedication CSS, so I'm confused now. I probably misunderstood what he asked me to do... I'll have a look at the finished ebook to see what I missed.

Next time I'll also make sure to take less time to produce the ebook. There were definitely problems due to me forgetting over time what I'd already done (or not)!

Keep up the great work. I love downloading all those lovely Standard Ebooks for myself!

Cheers, Lan

David Grigg

Aug 1, 2021, 7:36:42 PM8/1/21
to Standard Ebooks
Just to clear up any confusion, I was pointing you to the section of the manual describing how to handle the styling of dedications rather than the way you had been doing it with CSS classes. My error though, in not checking that you had done that correctly before saying all was well.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f937620c-e3b8-4e77-b307-d57389925ea0n%40googlegroups.com.

Lan Wang

Aug 1, 2021, 8:36:24 PM8/1/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks David. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Cheers, Lan