endnotes referring to other endnotes

BTK

May 18, 2022, 2:28:07 PM5/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
I know we've discussed this but I can't find the "accepted solution." I have a couple of endnotes that  essentially say "see page 170" where page 170 is another endnote ref.

How have we decided to solve this?

It makes sense to me to just have the endnote link go directly to the note referred to but then the backlink won't work. Same issue applies if I have the original endnote include a link to the secondary, referred to  endnote.

And should this be added to SEMOS?

Vince Rice

May 18, 2022, 2:45:27 PM5/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
Well, technically it is covered in SEMOS (section 5.1.2), as this situation is no different than a link to text.

If something says “see p. 123” and p. 123 is referring to text, then we put an id on the (first) paragraph being referred to and link to that id. Unlike an endnote, this kind of reference is a one-way link.
If it’s “see note on p.123”, then we don’t have to create an id, because one already exists, i.e. the endnote id. But like the above, it's a one-way link.

So if endnote 100 is referring to text, which turns out to be in chapter 12 paragraph 5, then we put an id on paragraph 5, and the link in endnote 100 would be
See discussion <a href=“chapter-12.#chapter-12-p-5>here</a>.

If endnote 100 is referring to endnote 53, then the link in endnote 100 would be
See discussion <a href=“endnotes.xhtml#note-53”>here</a>.

In both cases, getting back is up to the ereader. Most ereaders (that I’ve used, anyway) keep track of where you came when you jump somewhere and offer a way to get back.

Vince

May 18, 2022, 2:51:21 PM5/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
And of course I left off the file suffix in the first example. That should be:
See discussion <a href=“chapter-12.xhtml#chapter-12-p-5>here</a>.

B Keith

May 18, 2022, 2:54:23 PM5/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks. I just thought we’d figured out how to make the backlink work.

Oddly enough for one of the links I think the intention was to link to "chapter 12 paragraph 5” and also to the associated endnote for further explanation. But I think I will go for option 2 as that is where the meat is.

Vince

May 18, 2022, 3:13:56 PM5/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
No, the other big discussion has been around endnotes that have endnotes, and those are a completely different kettle of fish.

Up to you, but if you link to the text, then the text has the endnote reference in it which they can then tap if they want to read it. You could say something like “See text and associated note here,” so they’d know there was something in the note as well.

David Grigg

May 18, 2022, 7:18:33 PM5/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
There are going to be a heap of “see here” and “see this note” links in the Life of Samuel Johnson. Be aware that there’s new code coming for se renumber-endnotes which will look for and change these direct references. I might issue a pull request today, as it’s clearly something that is needed by more than one producer.

Lukas Bystricky

May 20, 2022, 1:36:11 PM5/20/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks David. Asher and I will need this for the Golden Bough too. Will work the same way as for endnotes? Take all the <p id=..> and number them sequentially?

David Grigg

May 20, 2022, 7:35:21 PM5/20/22
to Standard Ebooks
No, that’s quite a different exercise, though it’s one I’m going to need for Boswell, too.

My current pull request just takes care, when endnotes are being renumbered, to also update references which are like: “See <a href=“endnotes.xhtml#note-543”>this note</a>“ within the body of the text or in endnotes.

But what you’re looking for is to standardise and number the paragraph ids we’ve put in the body to be anchors for references which were originally to page numbers. At the moment, mine all look like “<p id=“IV-page-127”>” so that I can keep track, but that’s not the way the SEM wants them. So yes, I’ll need to write some code to fix those too.

David Grigg

May 20, 2022, 7:37:32 PM5/20/22
to Standard Ebooks
I see that Alex has now merged in my pull request for the renumber-endnotes function. Thanks, Alex!

Lukas Bystricky

May 21, 2022, 4:53:16 AM5/21/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, perfect that's actually how I've been structuring my paragraph anchors too, and I then I was planning to write my own script to renumber them later on.