[Release] Three Sisters, by Anton Chekhov

Alex Cabal

Apr 7, 2021, 3:21:24 PM4/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Asher Smith

May 4, 2021, 7:08:45 AM5/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
I've just noticed that you've converted the format of the dramatis personae from:
Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 11.58.52.png to: Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 12.00.07.png

Ignoring the age inclusions (I've taken the top one from an older draft), is this something we should be doing everywhere?

I ask because I've used this in my current production, and quite like the way it looks:

Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 12.04.21.pngScreenshot 2021-05-04 at 12.03.57.png

This formation is also used in An Ideal Husband, and I would argue for its inclusion in the corpus broadly. It's basically the same CSS as the "together" dialogue lines.

Alex Cabal

May 4, 2021, 12:01:55 PM5/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I prefer without the brace because using a brace requires a table which
is not semantically correct. We really want to avoid using tables for
layout. Tables are for tabular data. In the case of play bodies, we
can't get around using tables so we may as as well use "together" like
we do. But otherwise it should be avoided unless you can make it happen
without a table.

On 5/4/21 6:08 AM, Asher Smith wrote:
> I've just noticed that you've converted the format of the dramatis
> personae from:
> Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 11.58.52.png to: Screenshot 2021-05-04 at
> 12.00.07.png
>
> Ignoring the age inclusions (I've taken the top one from an older
> draft), is this something we should be doing everywhere?
>
> I ask because I've used this in my current production, and quite like
> the way it looks:
>
> Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 12.04.21.pngScreenshot 2021-05-04 at 12.03.57.png
>
> This formation is also used in /An Ideal Husband/, and I would argue for
> its inclusion in the corpus broadly. It's basically the same CSS as the
> "together" dialogue lines.
>
> On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 8:21:24 PM UTC+1 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> This ebook was produced by Asher Smith. Thanks Asher!
>
> Ebook URL:
> https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/anton-chekhov/three-sisters/julius-west
> <https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/anton-chekhov/three-sisters/julius-west>
>

> GitHub URL:
> https://github.com/standardebooks/anton-chekhov_three-sisters_julius-west
> <https://github.com/standardebooks/anton-chekhov_three-sisters_julius-west>
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e7977fe8-acb8-4843-b593-268b25495c7dn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e7977fe8-acb8-4843-b593-268b25495c7dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

May 4, 2021, 1:34:45 PM5/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
Are you also opposed to a display:table solution? I see that flexbox CSS has been used elsewhere in the corpus - that might handle variable window size better.

Alex Cabal

May 4, 2021, 1:43:30 PM5/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Not opposed but we generally also don't want a ton of scaffolding
elements just to achieve an effect. If instead of:

we end up with

then what have we gained? Better just to avoid it entirely until we can
think of a better general-case solution for large combining braces.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e7977fe8-acb8-4843-b593-268b25495c7dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e7977fe8-acb8-4843-b593-268b25495c7dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4d936be0-2928-4d8e-aa45-2334e694c2acn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4d936be0-2928-4d8e-aa45-2334e694c2acn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

May 4, 2021, 5:26:53 PM5/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
It seems like it would be easy enough to use <span> and <br/> elements to separate the lines on the left hand side, in which case you would only need to have a left and right element or display:block, but I understand that that ceases to be meaningfully human readable. Do you think that a general-case solution can exist?

Alex Cabal

May 4, 2021, 6:13:43 PM5/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com