[Next Project] The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

Emma Sweeney

Nov 11, 2022, 2:46:23 PM11/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
While I'm finishing up Faerie Queene I would like get started on The Canterbury Tales.

The best edition in the public domain is edited by David Laing Purves. It contains some modernized spelling but retains some Middle English for meter. The footnotes help with learning Middle English words/phrases as you read. Project Gutenberg provides a transcription, but it will require a lot of work.

The transcription has removed all of the accent marks, but these are very important for meter and need to be restored. When the Canterbury Tales was written, the "e" at the end of certain words were pronounced, adding a syllable. Today, these "e"s are silent. Purves shows where the e is pronounced by marking with a diaeresis (ë). In the example, "The tender croppës, and the youngë sun" there are ten syllables in the line. Purves also uses the acute accent mark to show which words should be pronounced as dissyllables ("salvatión," "opinión,").

The PG transcription also needs all of the footnotes converted into endnotes. My guess is that there will be ~6,000 endnotes when I'm done.

This one will definitely keep me busy!

PG transcription: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/2383/pg2383.html
page scans: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.hwhr9v&view=1up&seq=13&skin=2021

Emma

Emma Sweeney

Nov 11, 2022, 3:01:35 PM11/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
I found a painting for the cover. The first story is The Knight's Tale.

canterybury-tales-1.jpg

Emma

Alex Cabal

Nov 12, 2022, 1:15:42 PM11/12/22