[Project] The Golden Bough by James George Frazer

392 views
Skip to first unread message

Asher Smith

unread,
Jun 22, 2021, 8:43:02 AM6/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
I'm looking to begin this as a long-term project to dip into and out of, but there's an issue in that there are several different editions and Gutenberg has many of them. I'd appreciate Alex's thoughts about what SE would accept before I commit to this.

There is a 12-volume third edition published between 1906-1915. PG has all of the volumes, and I'd estimate conservatively that they're over 4-5,000 pages all in all. The first volume alone has almost 1,500 footnotes. There is also a 1922 one-volume edition, abridged by Frazer himself; this is by far the most popular version on PG, and it's still sold.

I'm interested in producing the abridged version, if that would be accepted. I think that, realistically, I'm unlikely to get through the 12 volume edition, especially as I still don't understand how reorder and renumber endnotes work. Would it be accepted, or would SE only be interested in the 12 volume edition?

Vince

unread,
Jun 22, 2021, 12:42:48 PM6/22/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
> On Jun 22, 2021, at 7:43 AM, Asher Smith <forlackofa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> …
> I think that, realistically, I'm unlikely to get through the 12 volume edition, especially as I still don't understand how reorder and renumber endnotes work.
> …

Help says pretty much everything there is to say about them. Note that reorder-endnotes was renamed to shift-endnotes in 2.x of the tools.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Jun 22, 2021, 1:33:08 PM6/22/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Generally we don't want abridged editions of anything. It looks like vol
12 is just a bibliography and index which we can probably cut.

This would be a really long ebook, probably best something worked on
from time to time in between other ebooks. These long-term projects can
sometimes be tough because you have to keep track of the changes in the
tools and manual as you go along.
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/43018ae8-66df-4990-9cd3-cc517d191b9cn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/43018ae8-66df-4990-9cd3-cc517d191b9cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

unread,
Jun 22, 2021, 7:04:03 PM6/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
Would each volume be treated as its own book? It looks like the first two volumes constitute one section, but other volumes are their own section.

Vince

unread,
Jun 22, 2021, 7:18:10 PM6/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
Generally, no. Most multi-volume books of the past were split to keep both the physical size and the cost down. PD ebooks don’t have either limitation. We have many books in the corpus that were originally multi-volume but are single books here, e.g. Clarissa, War and Peace, etc.

Vince

unread,
Jun 22, 2021, 7:25:06 PM6/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
The internal structure depends on the book. For example, Clarissa was split into multiple volumes both internally and externally, but only for convenience; there was nothing about the internal structure of the book itself that needed volumes, so David eliminated them when he did the ebook. However, War and Peace has a three-part internal structure of four “books,” with parts in each, and chapters in each of those, which was independent of how many volumes it was split into for publication (which, like Clarissa, varied quite a bit). Thus W&P has the internal structure of books/parts/chapters, but it’s still a single ebook.

David Grigg

unread,
Jun 22, 2021, 7:50:07 PM6/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
When I’ve got time, I think I’ll write a user guide for shift-endnotes and renumber-endnotes, with worked examples of when they are most useful. Renumber-endnotes was a lifesaver for Lavengro (and earlier for The Twelve Caesars).

Asher Smith

unread,
Jun 23, 2021, 6:57:27 AM6/23/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK, thanks all for the answers. Vince - your second answer is the one I was looking for. Based on my initial understanding, I think it would have 7 internal "books" with some number of chapters within each; it's pretty clear how that divides, as chapter numbering restarts. Also, blessedly, it looks like the endnotes are in such a format that Regex can automate a lot of it. I think a lot of the work will come down to the endnotes (expanding citations, semanticating the italicised bits, etc) and dealing with the internal tables and diagrams.

Alex, I agree that this is a long-term thing. I think I'm going to pick up She Stoops to Conquer as a short term one to do next.

Can someone have a look at the PG source (https://www.gutenberg.org/files/59607/59607-h/59607-h.htm) and confirm that I should be removing all the bits of text that are in the margins and describe what that section is about? I know I'll be getting rid of page numbers etc. and the bibliography.

Vince Rice

unread,
Jun 23, 2021, 1:25:49 PM6/23/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, get rid of that.

And please include a direct page link when you have something to be viewed; I scrolled for quite a while on my phone and was about to give up. (And yes, Alex is somewhere sniggering, as he had to say that to me more than once before it took.)

On Jun 23, 2021, at 5:57 AM, Asher Smith <forlackofa...@gmail.com> wrote:

OK, thanks all for the answers. Vince - your second answer is the one I was looking for. Based on my initial understanding, I think it would have 7 internal "books" with some number of chapters within each; it's pretty clear how that divides, as chapter numbering restarts. Also, blessedly, it looks like the endnotes are in such a format that Regex can automate a lot of it. I think a lot of the work will come down to the endnotes (expanding citations, semanticating the italicised bits, etc) and dealing with the internal tables and diagrams.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/06c5d9af-1c42-4426-8d46-13726000c47dn%40googlegroups.com.

Asher Smith

unread,
Jun 24, 2021, 6:27:51 AM6/24/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK, here's some links:
I'll report back when I've made some progress and/or when I well and truly give up.

Lukas Bystricky

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 12:08:07 PMMar 11
to Standard Ebooks
Any updates on this? I'd be interested in helping out if that's needed. 

Looking at the discussion above, I wonder if in this case it wouldn't make sense to have a separate ebook for each "Book". For practical reasons, simply because doing all eleven volumes at once is a lot of work (and could easily and justifiably be abandoned), but also because each "Book" looks to be logically separate with its own title, and title page (i. e. they're not just called The Golden Bough Volume x). Maybe it would make more sense in this case to think of them as a series? It would also make it easier for multiple people to contribute (if that's desired). Just my two cents. 

Asher Smith

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 1:16:05 PMMar 11
to standar...@googlegroups.com
No updates from my end - I've been spending my time on a couple other projects and life has gotten in the way.

I would absolutely be interested in working on this with you. I presume that the nature of git makes the technical side of that fairly easy, but I'm not particularly aware of other productions where that's been done, so I don't know that there's an established way of doing it.

Alex is the one with the final say, but I would bet £5 he'll say to do it as one production. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, which may be longer, is being done as one, and I don't think we ever want to put a reader in a position where they're confused or I ly have part of the book, and because they're digital, space isn't a concern.

I think the most time consuming part of this production will be endnotes, something with which I am not overly familiar. I imagine that the way to do this will be to put the files together and then work on different parts of the book and just stay in close contact to make sure we're doing things in the same way.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/jmd_rAOR-YU/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b454e372-22c3-4d0a-a151-ea2e6ef9e2d0n%40googlegroups.com.

Lukas Bystricky

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 1:40:44 PMMar 11
to Standard Ebooks
Ok great! Yeah I don't think it'll be too challenging technically on the git side, but you're right that the endnotes could get tricky. Thankfully PG moved all the footnotes to (local) endnotes already. 

I think the difference between this and Decline and Fall is that in this case there does seem to be a real logical separation between volumes (although you've probably read more than me so you can correct me if that's not the case). Each book listed above comes with its own preface for instance, which indicates to me that the author thought of them as separate publications. He also had no problem with splitting the second edition into Golden Bough 1, 2 and 3, but for the third edition he came up with a separate title for each division (not Golden Bough 1 to 12), so to me it seems like he really meant them to be more or less standalone. 

Vince

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 3:28:39 PMMar 11
to Standard Ebooks
As already said, Alex has the final word, but I don’t think they’re standalone, or that Frazier meant them to be. Even the third edition books have “The Golden Bough” as the title of the work; the individual volumes are essentially subtitles.

The Vicomte de Bragelonne is probably a more apt comparison than Decline and Fall. Bragelonne was (and is) regularly split into three or four volumes, each with its own title (Louise de la Valliére, The Man in the Iron Mask, etc.), but it’s still a single work and that’s how Dumas intended it. That’s how I’m producing our edition as well. (On the non-PD side, same for LOTR—although commonly called a trilogy, it’s actually six “books,” but one work. The three volumes were purely for size and expense reasons.)

Lukas Bystricky

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 4:10:51 PMMar 11
to Standard Ebooks
I guess standalone wasn't the right word because they are meant to be read sequentially of course. I meant more that the division isn't arbitrary, and that there is a thematic difference between the volumes. But now that you mention The Vicomte de Bragelonne (and LOTR, which I'd assumed we would do in three volumes), I see your point. If those are one volume productions then I suppose this should be too.  

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 5:20:34 PMMar 11
to standar...@googlegroups.com
These should definitely all be in one ebook. If you want to work on it
together, then I suppose you could give it a shot. This would be the
first ebook done by more than one person. I think you will have to
carefully maneuver things like spelling modernization across the whole
ebook, not just your parts. For example if you find an old spelling of a
word in part 11, you have to make sure part 1 is updated too. Merge
conflicts might be difficult. But, we can try it and see where it goes.

On 3/11/22 4:10 PM, Lukas Bystricky wrote:
> I guess standalone wasn't the right word because they are meant to be
> read sequentially of course. I meant more that the division isn't
> arbitrary, and that there is a thematic difference between the volumes.
> But now that you mention /The Vicomte de Bragelonne /(and LOTR, which
> I'd assumed we would do in three volumes), I see your point. If those
> are one volume productions then I suppose this should be too.
>
> On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 9:28:39 PM UTC+1 Vince wrote:
>
> As already said, Alex has the final word, but I don’t think they’re
> standalone, or that Frazier meant them to be. Even the third edition
> books have “The Golden Bough” as the title of the work; the
> individual volumes are essentially subtitles.
>
> /The Vicomte de Bragelonne/ is probably a more apt comparison than
> /Decline and Fall/. /Bragelonne/ was (and is) regularly split into
> three or four volumes, each with its own title (/Louise de la
> Valliére/, /The Man in the Iron Mask/, etc.), but it’s still a
>> and title page (i. e. they're not just called /The Golden
>> Bough Volume x/). Maybe it would make more sense in this
>> case to think of them as a series? It would also make it
>> easier for multiple people to contribute (if that's
>> desired). Just my two cents.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c514d3ce-1931-4bfb-abff-5ba81025141dn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c514d3ce-1931-4bfb-abff-5ba81025141dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 5:21:09 PMMar 11
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It would be best to coordinate via private email or Github since the
list probably doesn't need day-to-day nitty gritty of what's going on in
the ebook.

On 3/11/22 4:10 PM, Lukas Bystricky wrote:
> I guess standalone wasn't the right word because they are meant to be
> read sequentially of course. I meant more that the division isn't
> arbitrary, and that there is a thematic difference between the volumes.
> But now that you mention /The Vicomte de Bragelonne /(and LOTR, which
> I'd assumed we would do in three volumes), I see your point. If those
> are one volume productions then I suppose this should be too.
>
> On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 9:28:39 PM UTC+1 Vince wrote:
>
> As already said, Alex has the final word, but I don’t think they’re
> standalone, or that Frazier meant them to be. Even the third edition
> books have “The Golden Bough” as the title of the work; the
> individual volumes are essentially subtitles.
>
> /The Vicomte de Bragelonne/ is probably a more apt comparison than
> /Decline and Fall/. /Bragelonne/ was (and is) regularly split into
> three or four volumes, each with its own title (/Louise de la
> Valliére/, /The Man in the Iron Mask/, etc.), but it’s still a
>> and title page (i. e. they're not just called /The Golden
>> Bough Volume x/). Maybe it would make more sense in this
>> case to think of them as a series? It would also make it
>> easier for multiple people to contribute (if that's
>> desired). Just my two cents.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c514d3ce-1931-4bfb-abff-5ba81025141dn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c514d3ce-1931-4bfb-abff-5ba81025141dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lukas Bystricky

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 6:28:21 PMMar 11
to Standard Ebooks
Sure thing. Asher my email is just my name @gmail.com

David Grigg

unread,
Mar 11, 2022, 7:41:33 PMMar 11
to Standard Ebooks
If I can make a suggestion about endnotes: I see that each volume has its own set. I would suggest that to begin with you give each endnote a distinct code (eg note-IV-53 or note-5-110) reflecting the volume, with of course matching noteref ids.

When you're done, you can then combine all of these into a single endnotes file and run se renumber-endnotes, which will give each note a sequential number starting from 1.

I did this for The Lives of the Caesars and for Clarissa, and it works fine (though of course, it's a good idea to do this in a clean commit and check carefully that all is well once you're done.

Lukas Bystricky

unread,
Mar 12, 2022, 2:35:01 AMMar 12
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks David, that sounds quite useful. I think it'll end up being around 10,000 endnotes, so anything to avoid manual labour on that is definitely appreciated.  

Lukas Bystricky

unread,
Mar 12, 2022, 2:38:40 AMMar 12
to Standard Ebooks
Alex, for the cover image, I think this is almost obligatory:

Proof of PD can actually be found right before the title page in Volume 1: https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-magic-art-1.pdf

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 12, 2022, 10:14:36 AMMar 12
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That does seem like a good thematic choice but remember that the title
box will obscure much of the lower half of the painting. Can you crop it
in such a way that that it's not just a cover of a sky and treetops? If
not, then we'd have to go with a different painting even though this one
is the obvious thematic choice.

Also, can you find scans of this book on archive.org, Google Books, or
Hathi Trust? I would like to have those scans for my records instead of
something hosted on a random Wordpress blog.

On 3/12/22 3:38 AM, Lukas Bystricky wrote:
> Alex, for the cover image, I think this is almost obligatory:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Bough_(painting)
>
> Proof of PD can actually be found right before the title page in Volume
> 1: https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-magic-art-1.pdf
>
> On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 8:35:01 AM UTC+1 Lukas Bystricky wrote:
>
> Thanks David, that sounds quite useful. I think it'll end up being
> around 10,000 endnotes, so anything to avoid manual labour on that
> is definitely appreciated.
>
> On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 1:41:33 AM UTC+1 david...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> If I can make a suggestion about endnotes: I see that each
> volume has its own set. I would suggest that to begin with you
> give each endnote a distinct code (eg note-IV-53 or note-5-110)
> reflecting the volume, with of course matching noteref ids.
>
> When you're done, you can then combine all of these into a
> single endnotes file and run se renumber-endnotes, which will
> give each note a sequential number starting from 1.
>
> I did this for /The Lives of the Caesars/ and for /Clarissa,
> /and it works fine (though of course, it's a good idea to do
> this in a clean commit and check carefully that all is well once
> you're done.
> On 12 Mar 2022, 10:28 AM +1100, Lukas Bystricky
> <lukasby...@gmail.com>, wrote:
>
> Sure thing. Asher my email is just my name @gmail.com
> <http://gmail.com>.
>
> On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 11:21:09 PM UTC+1 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> It would be best to coordinate via private email or
> Github since the
> list probably doesn't need day-to-day nitty gritty of
> what's going on in
> the ebook.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96595060-5376-45f4-bc2f-290146679bcbn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96595060-5376-45f4-bc2f-290146679bcbn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

unread,
Mar 12, 2022, 1:02:03 PMMar 12
to Standard Ebooks
Hey all,

Here are some updated links and a proposed cover crop
  • Book 1: Magic and the Evolution of Kings
  • Book 2: Taboo and the Perils of the Soul
  • Book 3: The Dying God
  • Book 4: Adonis, Attis, Osiris
  • Book 5: Spirits of the Corn and of the Wild
  • Book 7: Balder the Beautiful
cover.jpg

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 12, 2022, 1:20:29 PMMar 12
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, that cover works!

On 3/12/22 2:02 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Here are some updated links and a proposed cover crop
>
> * Book 1: Magic and the Evolution of Kings
> o Volume 1
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.175095/page/n3/mode/2up
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-magic-art-1.pdf>
> o Volume 2
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60250
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60250>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210172/page/n5/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.425305/page/n1/mode/2up>
> * Book 2: Taboo and the Perils of the Soul
> o Volume 3
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41832
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41832>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/goldenboughtaboo00fraz/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/goldenboughtaboo00fraz/mode/2up>
> * Book 3: The Dying God
> o Volume 4
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41572
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41572>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210167/page/n3/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210167/page/n3/mode/2up>
> * Book 4: Adonis, Attis, Osiris
> o Volume 5
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43605
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43605>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.425304/page/n1/mode/2up <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-adonis-attis-osiris-1.pdf>
> o Volume 6
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41923
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41923>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210173/page/n5/mode/2up
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-adonis-attis-osiris-2.pdf>
> * Book 5: Spirits of the Corn and of the Wild
> o Volume 7
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42067
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42067>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/b21356774_001/page/n5/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/b21356774_001/page/n5/mode/2up>
> o Volume 8
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42336
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42336>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.277281/page/n1/mode/2up
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-corn-wild-2.pdf>
> * Book 6: The Scapegoat
> o Volume 9
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42661
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42661>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210168/page/n5/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210168/page/n5/mode/2up>
> * Book 7: Balder the Beautiful
> o Volume 10
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43049
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43049>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210169/page/n3/mode/2up
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-1.pdf>
> o Volume 11
> + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43433
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43433>
> + Scans:
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.209435/page/n3/mode/2up
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-2.pdf>
>
> cover.jpg
>
> And here's the
> repository: https://github.com/ACBSmith/james-george-frazer_the-golden-bough
>
> On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 3:14:36 PM UTC Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> That does seem like a good thematic choice but remember that the title
> box will obscure much of the lower half of the painting. Can you
> crop it
> in such a way that that it's not just a cover of a sky and treetops? If
> not, then we'd have to go with a different painting even though this
> one
> is the obvious thematic choice.
>
> Also, can you find scans of this book on archive.org
> <http://archive.org>, Google Books, or
> > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com>>.
> >
> > On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 11:21:09 PM UTC+1 Alex Cabal wrote:
> >
> > It would be best to coordinate via private email or
> > Github since the
> > list probably doesn't need day-to-day nitty gritty of
> > what's going on in
> > the ebook.
> >
> >
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> > To view this discussion on the web visit
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96595060-5376-45f4-bc2f-290146679bcbn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96595060-5376-45f4-bc2f-290146679bcbn%40googlegroups.com>
>
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96595060-5376-45f4-bc2f-290146679bcbn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96595060-5376-45f4-bc2f-290146679bcbn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 12, 2022, 1:20:55 PMMar 12
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can you find a link to the cover art PD proof on one of the resources I
listed earlier?

On 3/12/22 2:02 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Here are some updated links and a proposed cover crop
>
> cover.jpg
>
> And here's the
> repository: https://github.com/ACBSmith/james-george-frazer_the-golden-bough
>
> On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 3:14:36 PM UTC Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> That does seem like a good thematic choice but remember that the title
> box will obscure much of the lower half of the painting. Can you
> crop it
> in such a way that that it's not just a cover of a sky and treetops? If
> not, then we'd have to go with a different painting even though this
> one
> is the obvious thematic choice.
>
> Also, can you find scans of this book on archive.org
> <http://archive.org>, Google Books, or
> > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com>>.
> >
> > On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 11:21:09 PM UTC+1 Alex Cabal wrote:
> >
> > It would be best to coordinate via private email or
> > Github since the
> > list probably doesn't need day-to-day nitty gritty of
> > what's going on in
> > the ebook.
> >
> >
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> > To view this discussion on the web visit
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96595060-5376-45f4-bc2f-290146679bcbn%40googlegroups.com
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

unread,
Mar 12, 2022, 1:24:17 PMMar 12
to Standard Ebooks
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210147/page/n7/mode/2up

The first page of this has a (kinda awful) BW scan of the painting. Is this good enough?

Asher Smith

unread,
Mar 13, 2022, 7:38:00 AMMar 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
The scans have subchapter titles formatted in the following way:


My instinct is that we would format it as:

<section id=“chapter-1-1-2”>
<h4>2. Artemis and Hippolytus</h4>

I have a couple questions here:
  1. Do we keep the § symbol?
  2. Do we convert the ordinal to Roman numerals?
  3. Do we italicise the title?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/jmd_rAOR-YU/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.

Asher Smith

unread,
Mar 13, 2022, 1:12:36 PMMar 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
The individual volumes have a half title page each that lists the author the following way:

Is there any place to put this full list of titles? I don’t see anything like it on any of the halftitlepage.xhtml files I’ve seen in the corpus, but we did something similar in Man and Superman with appendix-1, which was styled to look like it was a half title.


On 13 Mar 2022, at 11:37, Asher Smith <forlackofa...@gmail.com> wrote:

The scans have subchapter titles formatted in the following way:

<Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 11.34.41.png>

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 13, 2022, 1:21:24 PMMar 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Don't include all those titles. Just a regular half title as we would
normally do, if necessary

On 3/13/22 1:12 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> The individual volumes have a half title page each that lists the author
> the following way:
>
> Is there any place to put this full list of titles? I don’t see anything
> like it on any of the halftitlepage.xhtml files I’ve seen in the corpus,
> but we did something similar in /Man and Superman/ with
> appendix-1, which was styled to look like it was a half title.
>
>
>> On 13 Mar 2022, at 11:37, Asher Smith <forlackofa...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:forlackofa...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> The scans have subchapter titles formatted in the following way:
>>
>> <Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 11.34.41.png>
>>
>> My instinct is that we would format it as:
>>
>> <section id=“chapter-1-1-2”>
>> <h4>2. Artemis and Hippolytus</h4>
>>
>> I have a couple questions here:
>>
>> 1. Do we keep the § symbol?
>> 2. Do we convert the ordinal to Roman numerals?
>> 3. Do we italicise the title?
>>
>>
>>> On 12 Mar 2022, at 18:24, Asher Smith
>>> <forlackofa...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:forlackofa...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210147/page/n7/mode/2up
>>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210147/page/n7/mode/2up>
>>>
>>> The first page of this has a (kinda awful) BW scan of the painting.
>>> Is this good enough?
>>>
>>> On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 6:20:55 PM UTC Alex Cabal wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you find a link to the cover art PD proof on one of the
>>> resources I
>>> listed earlier?
>>>
>>> On 3/12/22 2:02 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
>>> > Hey all,
>>> >
>>> > Here are some updated links and a proposed cover crop
>>> >
>>> > * Book 1: Magic and the Evolution of Kings
>>> > o Volume 1
>>> > + PG:https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607
>>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607>
>>> > <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607
>>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607>>
>>> > + Scans:
>>> >https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.175095/page/n3/mode/2up
>>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.175095/page/n3/mode/2up>
>>> >
>>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-magic-art-1.pdf
>>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210172/page/n5/mode/2up>
>>> > <https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.425305/page/n1/mode/2up
>>> <https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.425304/page/n1/mode/2up><https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-adonis-attis-osiris-1.pdf
>>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210173/page/n5/mode/2up>
>>> >
>>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-adonis-attis-osiris-2.pdf
>>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.277281/page/n1/mode/2up>
>>> >
>>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-corn-wild-2.pdf
>>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210169/page/n3/mode/2up>
>>> >
>>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-1.pdf
>>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.209435/page/n3/mode/2up>
>>> >
>>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-2.pdf
>>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-2.pdf>>
>>> >
>>> > cover.jpg
>>> >
>>> > And here's the
>>> > repository:
>>> https://github.com/ACBSmith/james-george-frazer_the-golden-bough
>>> <https://github.com/ACBSmith/james-george-frazer_the-golden-bough>
>>> >
>>> > On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 3:14:36 PM UTC Alex Cabal wrote:
>>> >
>>> > That does seem like a good thematic choice but remember that
>>> the title
>>> > box will obscure much of the lower half of the painting. Can you
>>> > crop it
>>> > in such a way that that it's not just a cover of a sky and
>>> treetops? If
>>> > not, then we'd have to go with a different painting even though
>>> this
>>> > one
>>> > is the obvious thematic choice.
>>> >
>>> > Also, can you find scans of this book onarchive.org
>>> <http://archive.org/>
>>> > <http://archive.org <http://archive.org/>>, Google Books, or
>>> <http://gmail.com/>
>>> > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com/>>
>>> > > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com/><http://gmail.com
>>> <http://gmail.com/>>>.
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in
>>> the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this topic,
>>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/jmd_rAOR-YU/unsubscribe
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/jmd_rAOR-YU/unsubscribe>.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email
>>> tostandardeboo...@googlegroups.com
>>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>>> To view this discussion on the web
>>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C5E05342-A3A3-411F-9039-C673598A0342%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C5E05342-A3A3-411F-9039-C673598A0342%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 13, 2022, 1:21:36 PMMar 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can you send a link to the page scan?

On 3/13/22 7:37 AM, Asher Smith wrote:
> The scans have subchapter titles formatted in the following way:
>
>
> My instinct is that we would format it as:
>
> <section id=“chapter-1-1-2”>
> <h4>2. Artemis and Hippolytus</h4>
>
> I have a couple questions here:
>
> 1. Do we keep the § symbol?
> 2. Do we convert the ordinal to Roman numerals?
> 3. Do we italicise the title?
>
>
>> On 12 Mar 2022, at 18:24, Asher Smith <forlackofa...@gmail.com
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210147/page/n7/mode/2up>
>>
>> The first page of this has a (kinda awful) BW scan of the painting. Is
>> this good enough?
>>
>> On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 6:20:55 PM UTC Alex Cabal wrote:
>>
>> Can you find a link to the cover art PD proof on one of the
>> resources I
>> listed earlier?
>>
>> On 3/12/22 2:02 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
>> > Hey all,
>> >
>> > Here are some updated links and a proposed cover crop
>> >
>> > * Book 1: Magic and the Evolution of Kings
>> > o Volume 1
>> > + PG:https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607
>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607>
>> > <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607
>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607>>
>> > + Scans:
>> >https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.175095/page/n3/mode/2up
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.175095/page/n3/mode/2up>
>> >
>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-magic-art-1.pdf
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210172/page/n5/mode/2up>
>> > <https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.425305/page/n1/mode/2up
>> <https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.425304/page/n1/mode/2up><https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-adonis-attis-osiris-1.pdf
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210173/page/n5/mode/2up>
>> >
>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-adonis-attis-osiris-2.pdf
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.277281/page/n1/mode/2up>
>> >
>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-corn-wild-2.pdf
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210169/page/n3/mode/2up>
>> >
>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-1.pdf
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.209435/page/n3/mode/2up>
>> >
>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-2.pdf
>> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-2.pdf>>
>> >
>> > cover.jpg
>> >
>> > And here's the
>> > repository:
>> https://github.com/ACBSmith/james-george-frazer_the-golden-bough
>> <https://github.com/ACBSmith/james-george-frazer_the-golden-bough>
>> >
>> > On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 3:14:36 PM UTC Alex Cabal wrote:
>> >
>> > That does seem like a good thematic choice but remember that the
>> title
>> > box will obscure much of the lower half of the painting. Can you
>> > crop it
>> > in such a way that that it's not just a cover of a sky and
>> treetops? If
>> > not, then we'd have to go with a different painting even though this
>> > one
>> > is the obvious thematic choice.
>> >
>> > Also, can you find scans of this book onarchive.org
>> <http://archive.org/>
>> > <http://archive.org <http://archive.org/>>, Google Books, or
>> <http://gmail.com/>>>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the
>> Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this topic,
>> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email
>> tostandardeboo...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> To view this discussion on the web
>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A060DCB4-182E-4B73-96DC-92E9609A62B8%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A060DCB4-182E-4B73-96DC-92E9609A62B8%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 13, 2022, 1:21:46 PMMar 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That works, thanks!

On 3/12/22 2:24 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210147/page/n7/mode/2up
>
> The first page of this has a (kinda awful) BW scan of the painting. Is
> this good enough?
>
> On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 6:20:55 PM UTC Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Can you find a link to the cover art PD proof on one of the resources I
> listed earlier?
>
> On 3/12/22 2:02 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Here are some updated links and a proposed cover crop
> >
> > * Book 1: Magic and the Evolution of Kings
> > o Volume 1
> > + PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607>
> > <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59607>>
> > + Scans:
> >
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.175095/page/n3/mode/2up <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.175095/page/n3/mode/2up>
>
> >
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-magic-art-1.pdf
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210172/page/n5/mode/2up <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210172/page/n5/mode/2up>
>
> > <https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.425305/page/n1/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/dli.ernet.425304/page/n1/mode/2up>
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-adonis-attis-osiris-1.pdf
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210173/page/n5/mode/2up <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210173/page/n5/mode/2up>
>
> >
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-adonis-attis-osiris-2.pdf
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.277281/page/n1/mode/2up <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.277281/page/n1/mode/2up>
>
> >
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-corn-wild-2.pdf
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210169/page/n3/mode/2up <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.210169/page/n3/mode/2up>
>
> >
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-1.pdf
> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.209435/page/n3/mode/2up <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.209435/page/n3/mode/2up>
>
> >
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-2.pdf
> <https://wordandsilence.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/golden-bough-balder-the-beautiful-2.pdf>>
>
> >
> > cover.jpg
> >
> > And here's the
> > repository:
> https://github.com/ACBSmith/james-george-frazer_the-golden-bough
> <https://github.com/ACBSmith/james-george-frazer_the-golden-bough>
> >
> > On Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 3:14:36 PM UTC Alex Cabal wrote:
> >
> > That does seem like a good thematic choice but remember that the
> title
> > box will obscure much of the lower half of the painting. Can you
> > crop it
> > in such a way that that it's not just a cover of a sky and
> treetops? If
> > not, then we'd have to go with a different painting even though this
> > one
> > is the obvious thematic choice.
> >
> > Also, can you find scans of this book on archive.org
> <http://archive.org>
> > <http://archive.org <http://archive.org>>, Google Books, or
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com>
>
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a51bc6cf-42be-4aba-8e0b-ee75bfd11264n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

unread,
Mar 13, 2022, 1:23:59 PMMar 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That title is here on this page:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.175095/page/n56/mode/1up
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/jmd_rAOR-YU/unsubscribe.
> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fd709eb5-b01c-ebd1-1084-92a58358ec81%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 13, 2022, 2:17:12 PMMar 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
These just look like subchapters to me. You can remove the section mark,
convert to Roman, and style them according to the manual.

Lukas Bystricky

unread,
Mar 14, 2022, 7:53:28 PMMar 14
to Standard Ebooks
As I mentioned above, there will be lot of endnotes for this productions, I'd guess around 10,000. That's not by itself a problem of course, I imagine Gibbons will have around that many if not more, but in Frazer's case most (a very rough estimate of 70%) of the endnotes are purely bibliographic, for example, "K. von den Steinen, Unter den Naturvölkern Zentral-Brasiliens (Berlin, 1894), pp. 511, 512." Any chance those could be removed? I know that as a reader I would find it distracting/tedious to have so many endnotes referring me to articles and books that are probably quite difficult to even access today outside a university library (even if one were inclined, which I suspect almost no readers would be). 

Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 14, 2022, 7:55:53 PMMar 14
to standar...@googlegroups.com
No, we keep them all. It's tedious but that's life sometimes.

On 3/14/22 7:53 PM, Lukas Bystricky wrote:
> As I mentioned above, there will be lot of endnotes for this
> productions, I'd guess around 10,000. That's not by itself a problem of
> course, I imagine Gibbons will have around that many if not more, but in
> Frazer's case most (a very rough estimate of 70%) of the endnotes are
> purely bibliographic, for example, "K. von den Steinen, /Unter den
> Naturvölkern Zentral-Brasiliens/ (Berlin, 1894), pp. 511, 512." Any
> <http://onarchive.org>
> >>>> <http://archive.org/ <http://archive.org/>>
> >>>> > <http://archive.org <http://archive.org>
> <http://archive.org/ <http://archive.org/>>>, Google Books, or
> >>>> <http://gmail.com/ <http://gmail.com/>>
> >>>> > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com> <http://gmail.com/
> <http://gmail.com/>>>
> >>>> > > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com> <http://gmail.com/
> >>>> <http://gmail.com/ <http://gmail.com/>>>>.
> <http://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/jmd_rAOR-YU/unsubscribe>
> <http://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> >>> --
> >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
> it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >>> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A060DCB4-182E-4B73-96DC-92E9609A62B8%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A060DCB4-182E-4B73-96DC-92E9609A62B8%40gmail.com>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A060DCB4-182E-4B73-96DC-92E9609A62B8%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A060DCB4-182E-4B73-96DC-92E9609A62B8%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> >>
> >> --
> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic
> in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> >> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fd709eb5-b01c-ebd1-1084-92a58358ec81%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> >
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/499a5fd4-f4de-4931-904e-32582ff4a689n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/499a5fd4-f4de-4931-904e-32582ff4a689n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

unread,
Mar 15, 2022, 5:49:51 AMMar 15
to Standard Ebooks
This is what we're using for the chapter and subchapter headers - does this look right? (This is from the start of chapter 5)


<body epub:type="bodymatter z3998:nonfiction">


<section id="book-1" epub:type="division">


<section id="chapter-1-5" epub:type="chapter">


<hgroup>


<h3 epub:type="ordinal z3998:roman">V</h3>


<h4 epub:type="title">The Magical Control of the Weather</h4>


</hgroup>


<section id="chapter-1-5-1" epub:type="subchapter">


<hgroup>


<h4 epub:type="ordinal z3998:roman">I</h4>


<h5 epub:type="title">The Public Magician</h5>


</hgroup>


Alex Cabal

unread,
Mar 15, 2022, 10:21:52 AMMar 15
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, looks good
> > <http://onarchive.org <http://onarchive.org>>
> > <http://archive.org/ <http://archive.org/> <http://archive.org/
> > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com>>
> > >>>> <http://gmail.com/ <http://gmail.com/> <http://gmail.com/
> <http://gmail.com/>>>
> > >>>> > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com> <http://gmail.com
> > >>>> > > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com> <http://gmail.com
> <http://gmail.com> <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com>>
> > >>>> <http://gmail.com/ <http://gmail.com/> <http://gmail.com/
> <http://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/jmd_rAOR-YU/unsubscribe
> <http://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae782adf-c6f2-444e-ace5-0f1540e08195n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/499a5fd4-f4de-4931-904e-32582ff4a689n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/499a5fd4-f4de-4931-904e-32582ff4a689n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e4211a4c-0c17-495a-9ecb-6c77998eb22an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e4211a4c-0c17-495a-9ecb-6c77998eb22an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

unread,
Mar 17, 2022, 12:17:51 PMMar 17
to Standard Ebooks
Does anybody know what N.F., N.D., or N.S. mean in the context of footnotes? I'm assuming that N.D. means no date, but I'm not sure.

Lukas Bystricky

unread,
Mar 17, 2022, 12:58:35 PMMar 17
to Standard Ebooks
I think you're right about N.D. (in my endnotes it's written in small caps, unlike N.S.). I found one of the articles that uses N.S. and based on that I'd conclude it probably stands for "New Series". It looks like N.F. only comes after German references, so it's possible that means something similar in German (unfortunately not "New Series", at least according to Google). 

Lukas Bystricky

unread,
Mar 17, 2022, 1:12:36 PMMar 17