[Next Project] Short Fiction by Leo Tolstoy

Weijia Cheng

Oct 6, 2020, 12:52:18 AM10/6/20
to Standard Ebooks

For my next project I will be working on a short fiction omnibus collection for Leo Tolstoy. Currently I am going through his bibliography page on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Tolstoy_bibliography) to try to find transcriptions and scans of the various novellas and short stories.

So far I've only researched the novellas from the WIkipedia bibliography. The Death of Ivan Ilych, The Kreutzer Sonata, The Devil, and The Forged Coupon look like they fall under the 40k cutoff. Katia is marginal (I think it is roughly 40k plus or minus a thousand), so it could go in or be in its own book. My understanding is that Childhood, Boyhood, and Youth form an autobiographical trilogy so I think those should be collected together in a separate, thematic ebook.

Weijia Cheng

Oct 6, 2020, 1:03:42 AM10/6/20
to Standard Ebooks

Apparently Leo Tolstoy himself like the painting! I think it shows the diversity of Tsarist Russian society and highlights some of the problems/conflicts that Tolstoy addresses in his stories.

Alex Cabal

Oct 6, 2020, 11:52:25 AM10/6/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
For Katia, once we cut the publisher ads at the end it's ~35k words so
that would be included.

Childhood/Boyhood/Youth: Childhood is 40,400 words so it barely squeaks
over into novel designation. Youth is certainly long enough. So for
consistency we should produce all three of these separately. Whether or
not they would go together in their own production is a good question; I
think we should look to see if that was done previously, and under what
title. If not, then it would be OK to produce them separately and we can
link them in the metadata as a trilogy using the collections metadata
option.

Translators: I assume the Maudes must have translated at least a few of
these. They were Tolstoy's preferred translators so we should include
all of those that we can. Did Garnett do any? She is a highly regarded
Russian translator and all of our Chekhov is hers, along with Anna
Karenina and some Dostoevsky.

On 10/5/20 11:52 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:

> For my next project I will be working on a short fiction omnibus
> collection for Leo Tolstoy. Currently I am going through his
> bibliography page on Wikipedia
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Tolstoy_bibliography) to try to find
> transcriptions and scans of the various novellas and short stories.
>
> I'm collecting my research on a Google Sheets:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ArL5dfX30wa_ook1djY0AYyR191NFpv0U7IoAO2_c84/edit?usp=sharing
>
> So far I've only researched the novellas from the WIkipedia
> bibliography. /The Death of Ivan Ilych/, /The Kreutzer Sonata/, /The
> Devil/, and /The Forged Coupon/ look like they fall under the 40k
> cutoff. /Katia/ is marginal (I think it is roughly 40k plus or minus a
> thousand), so it could go in or be in its own book. My understanding is
> that /Childhood/, /Boyhood/, and /Youth/ form an autobiographical
> trilogy so I think those should be collected together in a separate,
> thematic ebook.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d57756d7-7aae-4498-a3d1-865b70623cfan%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d57756d7-7aae-4498-a3d1-865b70623cfan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Oct 6, 2020, 11:54:33 AM10/6/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, looks good!

On 10/6/20 12:03 AM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> Also, for the title image I would love to use /Religious Procession in
> Kursk Province/ by Ilya Repin:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ilya_Repin_-_%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D1%85%D0%BE%D0%B4_%D0%B2_%D0%9A%D1%83%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D0%B3%D1%83%D0%B1%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B8_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
>
> Scan with reproduction:
> https://archive.org/details/modernartists00brinuoft/page/n223/mode/2up
>
> Apparently Leo Tolstoy himself like the painting! I think it shows the
> diversity of Tsarist Russian society and highlights some of the
> problems/conflicts that Tolstoy addresses in his stories.
>
> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 9:52:18 PM UTC-7 Weijia Cheng wrote:
>

> For my next project I will be working on a short fiction omnibus
> collection for Leo Tolstoy. Currently I am going through his
> bibliography page on Wikipedia
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Tolstoy_bibliography) to try to
> find transcriptions and scans of the various novellas and short stories.
>
> I'm collecting my research on a Google Sheets:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ArL5dfX30wa_ook1djY0AYyR191NFpv0U7IoAO2_c84/edit?usp=sharing
>
> So far I've only researched the novellas from the WIkipedia
> bibliography. /The Death of Ivan Ilych/, /The Kreutzer Sonata/, /The
> Devil/, and /The Forged Coupon/ look like they fall under the 40k
> cutoff. /Katia/ is marginal (I think it is roughly 40k plus or minus
> a thousand), so it could go in or be in its own book. My
> understanding is that /Childhood/, /Boyhood/, and /Youth/ form an
> autobiographical trilogy so I think those should be collected
> together in a separate, thematic ebook.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7d384475-06b2-4269-980f-54a99ba0ad0en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7d384475-06b2-4269-980f-54a99ba0ad0en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Oct 6, 2020, 10:02:49 PM10/6/20
to Standard Ebooks
Sure, I'll definitely favor the Maude and Garnett translations if I have to pick between different translations. So far I'm finding mostly Maude translations with a handful of other random translators.

I noticed that this book appears to be a collection of nonfictional sketches, but are written in the style of Tolstoy's short stories (with the exception of one mini-play): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51018

Do you think these should go into a short fiction collection?

Alex Cabal

Oct 6, 2020, 10:27:26 PM10/6/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Oct 8, 2020, 12:07:18 AM10/8/20
to Standard Ebooks
Good news, I've been able to find transcriptions and scans (or at least scans) for almost every short story listed in Tolstoy's bibliography on Wikipedia: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ArL5dfX30wa_ook1djY0AYyR191NFpv0U7IoAO2_c84/edit?usp=sharing

I think that sets the scope for the project, more or less. There might be some stuff out there in scans that's still missing--I know for a fact that Tolstoy has more fables, but I think the ones that are missing are really short and targeted towards very young children, so I think that's not a huge loss. I wouldn't be surprised if it took me until the end of quarantine to finish this, but it's a challenge I look forward to. I think my plan will be to build up the ebook incrementally, starting at the earliest stories and finishing with the last ones (partly because I think reading Tolstoy in that order would be the most interesting), so I'll be doing the typography and proofreading as I go along.

Alex Cabal

Oct 8, 2020, 11:39:10 AM10/8/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Alex Cabal

Oct 8, 2020, 11:41:05 AM10/8/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
After compiling a list of individual stories (not compilations) the next
thing to do is to research translations of each one. As I mentioned
before we should prefer Maude, then Garnett before anyone else. They
both did extensive Tolstoy translations so we should do careful research
to check that they did or didn't translate a story, before settling on
whatever Gutenberg is hosting.

On 10/7/20 11:07 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8213aa58-b6f0-4995-8291-816641eef86an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8213aa58-b6f0-4995-8291-816641eef86an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Oct 8, 2020, 12:28:54 PM10/8/20
to Standard Ebooks
OK, I'll go back and do some more research then. My first pass was based mostly on what I could find on PG but I know that some Maude translations are missing on PG, like these for the Sevastopol Sketches and some earlier stories: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.23993/page/n11/mode/2up

In cases like this, if I can find a Maude/Garnett translation that has scans but no PG transcription, should I just attempt to transcribe from the OCR instead of basing it off of the other translation?

Alex Cabal

Oct 8, 2020, 12:35:16 PM10/8/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Possibly, yes. Some research probably has to be done as to which of the
available translations is considered the 'best'. While Maude and Garnett
are highly regarded, it's possible that a later translation is
considered superior for whatever reason.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4fa4e9f4-0ba0-492b-ac51-81b91b73034bn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4fa4e9f4-0ba0-492b-ac51-81b91b73034bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Oct 8, 2020, 10:46:08 PM10/8/20
to Standard Ebooks
So, despite thinking I had dug up everything there was to find, I combed through Hathitrust and IA again and found more Maude translations, even including some that Wikipedia claims haven't been translated into English. I don't suspect I'm going to find much more; though it seems that actually some of Tolstoy's earlier stories were translated by the Maudes in the 1930s, so not in public domain: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007016455?type%5B%5D=all&lookfor%5B%5D=maude&bool%5B%5D=AND&type%5B%5D=all&lookfor%5B%5D=tolstoy&ft=

I think I'm going to wrap up the research stage at this point--I might casually revisit the research as I work through the collection, but I'm happy stopping here and calling this my best effort, judging by the fact that I've dug up a bunch of obscure titles that I don't think have ever been transcribed: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ArL5dfX30wa_ook1djY0AYyR191NFpv0U7IoAO2_c84/edit#gid=594477090

Alex Cabal

Oct 9, 2020, 5:12:58 PM10/9/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, great. I didn't notice the separate sheet for short stories earlier.

In short fiction collections we arrange them by order of publication.
You can write a short preface detailing which stories were translated by
who.

We obviously can't include some of those Maude translations because
they're not PD yet. When they do become PD (a long time from now) we can
revisit the collection to see if we want to update any of it.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/04d3d0f6-f9ab-417f-8a39-c52f28834e67n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/04d3d0f6-f9ab-417f-8a39-c52f28834e67n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Oct 12, 2020, 10:32:54 PM10/12/20
to Standard Ebooks
An editorial question--on page one of "The Raid" there's a fort name formatted as "N⸺" (that is, with a two-em-dash)

Later in the story I see this fort called "Fort N." as if it was an abbreviation. Would it be worth making these consistent by always using the two-em-dash?

Similarly, there is also a confusingly-named "Fort M." in this story, should that maybe be formatted as "M⸺"?

Alex Cabal

Oct 13, 2020, 11:06:01 AM10/13/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Oct 18, 2020, 7:46:08 PM10/18/20
to Standard Ebooks
Making a public note that I am using my editorial discretion to excising part of the second footnote on pg. 56 of "The Wood-Felling": https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.23993/page/n74/mode/1up

Specifically, I am taking out Maude's comment, "much as among ourselves, the word '[N-word]' is used to denote any dark race." This footnote is not part of the original story (those footnotes are marked with a citation, "L.T." to indicate Tolstoy wrote them) and besides being obviously racist and problematic it is a huge distraction for any modern reader, especially a non-white reader like myself.

Weijia Cheng

Oct 24, 2020, 5:28:59 PM10/24/20
to Standard Ebooks
Question: How should I format the "1852." at the end of "The Raid" (https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.23993/page/n55/mode/2up) or the "15 June 1855." at the end of "The Wood-Felling" (https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.23993/page/n103/mode/2up)? I have initially formatted these as <footer>s but I'm not sure if that's entirely correct.

Alex Cabal

Oct 24, 2020, 7:03:54 PM10/24/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Oct 26, 2020, 12:58:25 AM10/26/20
to Standard Ebooks
What should be done if some of the translations use EN-US and some use EN-GB? Should we keep them as they are or normalize to one standard of English (perhaps EN-GB in this case, since a large portion of the translations are done by the Maudes)? If we should keep the originals, what do we do with the language tag in content.opf?

Alex Cabal

Oct 26, 2020, 1:15:01 PM10/26/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Oct 28, 2020, 11:14:30 AM10/28/20
to Standard Ebooks
So, I just realized today that I some wasted work while transcribing two of the stories. I was basing my version of "The Raid" and "The Wood-Felling" off of the Tales of Army Life collection (https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.23993), but the publication date on Internet Archive is deceiving--the book was actually published in 1935 but IA says it was published in 1916. This was probably a data entry error, though the good news is that the stories I have transcribed from that collection are actually in the The Cossacks and Other Tales of the Caucasus collection by the Maudes, which actually was published in 1916. (https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.97297)

Unfortunately, there are some slight differences between these two versions. The biggest is that the 1935 version restores some censored text that was missing in the 1916 version. There are smaller differences here and there as well, I noticed.

I'm thinking the best solution might be to make my current repo private, then clone the repo, squash all the commits, and start a new repo with a new commit history with all of the text corrected to the 1916 version. That way I can reuse the work I've already done without having any non-PD text in the final repository. Would that be a good approach to this dilemma?

Vince

Oct 28, 2020, 12:03:19 PM10/28/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
According to Worldcat, there was an edition published in 1916, and it’s also Oxford Univ. Press, so whoever uploaded the scans probably got confused. It doesn’t look like your scans are that edition, so you’re probably right in what needs to be done. (Alex will have the definitive word.)

Vince

Oct 28, 2020, 12:09:39 PM10/28/20
to Standard Ebooks
Although all of the links I’ve checked to libraries on that 1916 edition say they’re the 1935 edition, so maybe it’s Worldcat that’s confused.

Message has been deleted

Alex Cabal

Oct 28, 2020, 5:53:44 PM10/28/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK. I think it depends on how much work you've already done on the repo.
We don't want to lose any [Editorial] commits. If there are none of
those yet, then it will probably be OK to squash everything in order to
continue laying down the base set of works. But if there *are*
[Editorial] commits, then we have to think of a different approach.

If you added these stories as separate files, then it would not be hard
to rebase the repo and change the commit that included them, to exclude
them. If you're nervous about screwing up the commit history, just make
a backup copy of the folder so that you can restore it if the rebase
gets out of control.

On 10/28/20 10:14 AM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> So, I just realized today that I some wasted work while transcribing two
> of the stories. I was basing my version of "The Raid" and "The
> Wood-Felling" off of the /Tales of Army Life/ collection
> (https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.23993), but the
> publication date on Internet Archive is deceiving--the book was actually
> published in 1935 but IA says it was published in 1916. This was
> probably a data entry error, though the good news is that the stories I
> have transcribed from that collection are actually in the /The Cossacks
> and Other Tales of the Caucasus/ collection by the Maudes, which
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1b98a050-29f5-4280-b8f5-f7d0d8868aa8n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1b98a050-29f5-4280-b8f5-f7d0d8868aa8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Oct 28, 2020, 6:26:21 PM10/28/20
to Standard Ebooks
Unfortunately, there are some editorial commits. I'm thinking that this might be the best way to get rid of all the non-PD work from the repo:

1. Make current repo private
2. Clone repo into new repo
3. Revert all editorial commits in the cloned repo
4. Manually compare 1916 scans against 1935 scans to ensure that repo text matches the 1916 version
5. Squash commit history down to one commit
6. Republish repo
7. Readd editorial commits
8. Resume work on the repo

Alex Cabal

Oct 28, 2020, 6:48:30 PM10/28/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That might work. It's hard to say without looking at the history in
detail. As long as we retain the [Editorial] commits, that's what
matters. As you continue adding works, make sure to add them as
individual files, as that will make resolving issues with them easier in
the future.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/88ae1c5e-05d4-4aa9-b344-1ac541881f01n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/88ae1c5e-05d4-4aa9-b344-1ac541881f01n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Oct 28, 2020, 9:12:45 PM10/28/20
to Standard Ebooks
OK, I've looked at the problem and I'm starting to think that rather trying to do surgery on the git history, I'll start a repo from scratch and manually copy over the work I've done. I would rather not do it this way, but the commit history is sufficiently complicated at this point to make it less of a headache to do the work manually. Next time I'll be much more conscious about these sorts of things.

Alex Cabal

Oct 28, 2020, 10:40:41 PM10/28/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK!

On 10/28/20 8:12 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> OK, I've looked at the problem and I'm starting to think that rather
> trying to do surgery on the git history, I'll start a repo from scratch
> and manually copy over the work I've done. I would rather not do it this
> way, but the commit history is sufficiently complicated at this point to
> make it less of a headache to do the work manually. Next time I'll be
> /much/ more conscious about these sorts of things.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/840ed4dd-07dc-4b0b-a7ba-26c4b989c2fen%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/840ed4dd-07dc-4b0b-a7ba-26c4b989c2fen%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Oct 30, 2020, 8:07:50 PM10/30/20
to Standard Ebooks
Right, I saw that, I was just conjecturing that the Worldcat entry might be why archive.org lists the date as 1916 instead of 1935. But, given that the library entries listed under the 1916 Worldcat entry are all in fact 1935 versions, it would appear that the Worldcat is incorrect. They list the name as Tales of Army Life, and they have a separate entry for The Cossacks…., so the former would not appear to be referring to the latter. It would just appear the 1916 Tales of Army Life entry is incorrect; I didn’t see any obvious way to let anyone know that, so it will just have to continue being incorrect. :)

(Having said all that, it still might be why archive.org has the wrong date. Perpetuating the error.)

On Oct 28, 2020, at 12:03 PM, Weijia Cheng <weijia...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, Vince. If you look at this page, it seems that Tales of Army Life was published in 1935 at least, although potentially much later: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.23993/page/n9/mode/2up

I suspect that either WorldCat is confused or the 1916 edition it is referring to is The Cossacks and Other Tales of the Caucasus. I will wait for Alex to weigh in. The good news is that Tales of Army Life seems to be mostly a reprint of previous translations, so I can still dig up scans for all the stories I would have transcribed from that collection.

Weijia Cheng

Nov 4, 2020, 11:45:01 AM11/4/20
to Standard Ebooks
So, ultimately, I decided that I would just retranscribe the two stories from the proper PD version from scratch (with some slight help from my old version on the more complicated formatting). It's not as bad as it would sound; the scans and OCR for the 1916 version are better anyways and the stories are enjoyable enough that it's not too much of a bore. I expect it won't take much longer for me to catch up to where I was before, and my transcription speed and accuracy is getting better so the mistake is a bit of a wash.

Weijia Cheng

Nov 15, 2020, 4:56:08 PM11/15/20
to Standard Ebooks
I've just started working on the Sevastopol Sketches, and one thing I've noticed is that the Maude translation has a map of Sevastopol with story-relevant locations marked, which is also cited by them in the footnotes: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31970017235398&view=1up&seq=42

Unfortunately, the text shows up as black blobs on this map, and is basically illegible, and the actual map details are pretty hit-or-miss. I've looked around for other scans of this book/previous versions of this book and the clearest scan I can dig up is from this Google Books scan: https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=ClIEAAAAYAAJ

This is the "clear" map. though as you can see even this is hard to make much sense of: https://imgur.com/a/EUwz23s

Is there a recommendation on how to proceed with this map? It is just a visual aid introduced by the translators, so maybe it's not essential, but it would definitely be nice to have. I did see a suggestion in a previous thread discussing maps in the Grant memoir that librarians at the libraries holding might be able to help get clearer scans, though I'm not sure how well that advice will hold up in COVID times.

Alex Cabal

Nov 15, 2020, 7:41:48 PM11/15/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If endnotes reference the map then it would make sense to include it.
But as you noted, the scans are both basically illegible. If you can
find a better scan, then you can trace it to an SVG and include it; but
if not, then drop it and we can tweak the footnotes to remove mentions
to the map.

On 11/15/20 3:56 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> [...]
>> previous translations, so I can still dig up scans for all the
>> stories I would have transcribed from that collection.
>>
>> On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 9:09:39 AM UTC-7 Vince wrote:
>>
>> Although all of the links I’ve checked to libraries on
>> that 1916 edition say they’re the 1935 edition, so maybe
>> it’s Worldcat that’s confused.
>>

>>> On Oct 28, 2020, at 11:03 AM, Vince
>>> <al...@letterboxes.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> According to Worldcat
>>> <https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=tales+of+army+life&dblist=638&fq=ap:%22tolstoy,+leo%22+%3E+yr:1916&qt=facet_yr:>,
>>> there//was an edition published in 1916, and it’s also
>>> Oxford Univ. Press, so whoever uploaded the scans
>>> probably got confused. It doesn’t look like your scans
>>> are that edition, so you’re probably right in what needs
>>> to be done. (Alex will have the definitive word.)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Weijia Cheng

Dec 18, 2020, 10:48:19 PM12/18/20
to Standard Ebooks
Should I standardize the Russian currency unit names in this collection to "ruble" and "kopek" given that is what is most common today?

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 9:52:18 PM UTC-7 Weijia Cheng wrote:

For my next project I will be working on a short fiction omnibus collection for Leo Tolstoy. Currently I am going through his bibliography page on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Tolstoy_bibliography) to try to find transcriptions and scans of the various novellas and short stories.

So far I've only researched the novellas from the WIkipedia bibliography. The Death of Ivan Ilych, The Kreutzer Sonata, The Devil, and The Forged Coupon look like they fall under the 40k cutoff. Katia is marginal (I think it is roughly 40k plus or minus a thousand), so it could go in or be in its own book. My understanding is that Childhood, Boyhood, and Youth form an autobiographical trilogy so I think those should be collected together in a separate, thematic ebook.

Alex Cabal

Dec 18, 2020, 10:48:53 PM12/18/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
As compare to what?

On 12/18/20 9:48 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> Should I standardize the Russian currency unit names in this collection
> to "ruble" and "kopek" given that is what is most common today?
>
> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 9:52:18 PM UTC-7 Weijia Cheng wrote:
>

> For my next project I will be working on a short fiction omnibus
> collection for Leo Tolstoy. Currently I am going through his
> bibliography page on Wikipedia
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Tolstoy_bibliography) to try to
> find transcriptions and scans of the various novellas and short stories.
>
> I'm collecting my research on a Google Sheets:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ArL5dfX30wa_ook1djY0AYyR191NFpv0U7IoAO2_c84/edit?usp=sharing
>
> So far I've only researched the novellas from the WIkipedia
> bibliography. /The Death of Ivan Ilych/, /The Kreutzer Sonata/, /The
> Devil/, and /The Forged Coupon/ look like they fall under the 40k
> cutoff. /Katia/ is marginal (I think it is roughly 40k plus or minus
> a thousand), so it could go in or be in its own book. My
> understanding is that /Childhood/, /Boyhood/, and /Youth/ form an
> autobiographical trilogy so I think those should be collected
> together in a separate, thematic ebook.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/72de1e4a-51f1-4988-8720-f772512f3dc3n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/72de1e4a-51f1-4988-8720-f772512f3dc3n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Dec 18, 2020, 11:49:02 PM12/18/20
to Standard Ebooks
I have seen rubles spelled as "roubles" and kopeks spelled out as "kopéyka" in the source texts, for example.

Alex Cabal

Dec 19, 2020, 1:42:47 PM12/19/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
rouble vs ruble appears to be an en-GB/en-US difference, so we can leave
it. Kopeyka vs Kopek isn't a sound-alike spelling difference but a
seemingly different word so we would leave that too.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/09d6d99d-b5d9-4c15-bb7d-7603d95e6a1en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/09d6d99d-b5d9-4c15-bb7d-7603d95e6a1en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Jan 3, 2021, 11:51:57 AM1/3/21
to Standard Ebooks
Does the name of a game count as "Non-English words that are proper names, or are in proper names" for purposes of 8.2.9.2? There are a couple of cases of various games with "foreign" names appearing in the Tolstoy corpus, e.g.:

Given that these don't have any English equivalents that I am aware of, is it fair to treat them as proper names and not italicize them?

Alex Cabal

Jan 3, 2021, 12:49:45 PM1/3/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Jan 5, 2021, 11:50:09 AM1/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
Does modernizing spelling apply to titles as well? Constance Garnett's translation of "Метель" renders the title as "The Snow-Storm," but I see it more commonly called "The Snowstorm."

Should that just be left as it is or should the title be modernized?

Alex Cabal

Jan 5, 2021, 1:09:29 PM1/5/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Jan 7, 2021, 3:01:04 PM1/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
Are we allowed to have multiple instances of noterefs pointing to the same endnote? For example, on this page, there are two noterefs pointing to the same footnote (presumably because the same Russian word is translated two different ways on this page): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433068032923&view=1up&seq=22

I see this previous discussion of the problem: https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/X20nhjl7oH0/m/slcLdlVlAwAJ -- is having two noterefs with slightly different IDs pointing to the same endnote the correct precedent to follow?

Alex Cabal

Jan 7, 2021, 3:06:41 PM1/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Vince

Jan 7, 2021, 3:11:14 PM1/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
The end result of that conversation was
For two endnotes pointing to the same thing, I would do the first one as normal, then the next one can just say "see note X".

Which is what I did; in the second one, I said something like “See note X blah blah” (I gave some context), where “note X” was a link to that note.

Alex Cabal

Jan 7, 2021, 3:13:56 PM1/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That's an option too. I don't remember what the exact case was in Morte.
In this case the endnote is just one word (the original Russian word),
so "see previous note" is longer and more annoying than just putting the
one word again. But if it was the same case in Morte then we can do the
same thing again here.

On 1/7/21 2:11 PM, Vince wrote:
> The end result of that conversation was
>
> For two endnotes pointing to the same thing, I would do the first
> one as normal, then the next one can just say "see note X".
>

> Which is what I did; in the second one, I said something like “See note
> X blah blah” (I gave some context), where “note X” was a link to that note.
>

>> On Jan 7, 2021, at 2:01 PM, Weijia Cheng <weijia...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:weijia...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Are we allowed to have multiple instances of noterefs pointing to the
>> same endnote? For example, on this page, there are two noterefs
>> pointing to the same footnote (presumably because the same Russian
>> word is translated two different ways on this page):
>> https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433068032923&view=1up&seq=22
>>
>> I see this previous discussion of the problem:
>> https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/X20nhjl7oH0/m/slcLdlVlAwAJ --
>> is having two noterefs with slightly different IDs pointing to the
>> same endnote the correct precedent to follow?
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0EEE69D6-AFC7-4C13-B71B-0D02E1E45F85%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0EEE69D6-AFC7-4C13-B71B-0D02E1E45F85%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Jan 7, 2021, 3:19:32 PM1/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I wasn't contradicting you, I sent it before I saw your message.

Correct, in the Decameron’s case, the references were to notes of some length, so duplicating the content wouldn’t have made sense.

Weijia Cheng

Feb 10, 2021, 11:26:02 PM2/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
There are two... dialogues? mini-plays? in the Tolstoy corpus:

Should these go into this collection or a theoretical Tolstoy drama collection with his plays? http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26660/26660-h/26660-h.htm

Alex Cabal

Feb 11, 2021, 10:42:06 AM2/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
These just look like fiction dialogs. They can be included in here.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/68ee5942-0352-4dd7-af4e-b953b8c780aan%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/68ee5942-0352-4dd7-af4e-b953b8c780aan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Feb 11, 2021, 11:22:24 AM2/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
I keep finding Tolstoy's corpus more expansive than I thought! Here's some more things I'm unsure about:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89012719043&view=1up&seq=117 <- A series of "stories" about physics? There are some fictional elements here, but a lot of it seems to be Tolstoy's attempt to teach children about actual physics. Not sure if this is worth including (and it isn't particularly interesting to read).
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89012719043&view=1up&seq=173 <- Stories for very young children to teach them how to read and spell

Alex Cabal

Feb 11, 2021, 11:54:32 AM2/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Feb 11, 2021, 12:07:59 PM2/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Gotcha. I don't think I would count the science stories as fiction. They read more like popular science articles than short fiction. But I'll put the children's stories in.

Weijia Cheng

Feb 11, 2021, 8:38:52 PM2/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Another question in this vein: what about these versions of Aesop's Fables that Tolstoy collected: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38025/38025-h/38025-h.htm#Page_3 ?

Alex Cabal

Feb 12, 2021, 11:13:19 AM2/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Mar 4, 2021, 11:18:06 PM3/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
The Kreutzer Sonata has an appendix with notes indicating the difference between the "usual text of the story" and another version of the story that was circulated when it was banned in Russia: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.149072/page/n231/mode/1up

What should I do with this? Should I try to insert these as endnotes? They are not present in the transcription I am working from.

Weijia Cheng

Mar 7, 2021, 1:12:52 PM3/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
Any thoughts on the alternate text versions I mentioned in the last email?

Alex Cabal

Mar 8, 2021, 2:30:37 PM3/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think I replied to this: I think we can cut these. The problem is that
we're looking at a translation, so it doesn't quite make sense to
re-insert this stuff into a work that's already been filtered through a
different language. The original translator should make the decision to
include, or not include, that stuff in their edition.

On 3/7/21 12:12 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> Any thoughts on the alternate text versions I mentioned in the last email?
>
> On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 8:18:06 PM UTC-8 Weijia Cheng wrote:
>
> /The Kreutzer Sonata/ has an appendix with notes indicating the
> <https://archive.org/details/completeworksco02unkngoog/page/n111/mode/1up>
>

> https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51018/51018-h/51018-h.htm#traveller
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/68ee5942-0352-4dd7-af4e-b953b8c780aan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/68ee5942-0352-4dd7-af4e-b953b8c780aan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > > --
> > it, send
> > > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6ffb0ebc-b057-4ede-864b-53e6235f709fn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6ffb0ebc-b057-4ede-864b-53e6235f709fn%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6ffb0ebc-b057-4ede-864b-53e6235f709fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6ffb0ebc-b057-4ede-864b-53e6235f709fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > --
> it, send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d4c10f34-0e0b-47d8-be01-c0dd42308c3fn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d4c10f34-0e0b-47d8-be01-c0dd42308c3fn%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d4c10f34-0e0b-47d8-be01-c0dd42308c3fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d4c10f34-0e0b-47d8-be01-c0dd42308c3fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/29506063-e8dd-4a7a-9188-b32421cef41an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/29506063-e8dd-4a7a-9188-b32421cef41an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Mar 10, 2021, 10:13:00 AM3/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
 I have some questions about how to credit one of the translations I'm using.

My source for "Croesus and Solon" is from a volume "Edited by Ernest Rhys," but I think this is referring to Rhys's role as head editor of Everyman's Library (which published the volume). Should this be credited to "Ernest Rhys" or "Everyman's Library"? It's also possible that they might have reprinted some other translation (in which it is most likely one of the other translators that have been explicitly named elsewhere), but a full-text search on Hathitrust for "Croesus and Solon" only found this, so this might be the original translation for all I know.

Alex Cabal

Mar 11, 2021, 11:28:55 AM3/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You're probably right, crediting just the Modern Library will be enough.
Make sure to search for a short sentence from the work, not just the
title. Internet Archive and Google Books are also good places to search
as each one has slightly differing catalogs.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/29506063-e8dd-4a7a-9188-b32421cef41an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/29506063-e8dd-4a7a-9188-b32421cef41an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/20e1ad0a-9e01-432b-a944-02f94a0a4208n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/20e1ad0a-9e01-432b-a944-02f94a0a4208n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Mar 16, 2021, 1:04:42 AM3/16/21
to Standard Ebooks
Could someone with Gigapixel help me by blowing up this version of Religious Procession in Kursk Governorate: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Procesi%C3%B3n_de_Pascua_en_la_regi%C3%B3n_de_Kursk%2C_por_Ili%C3%A1_Repin.jpg? It's not quite tall enough to be made into an SE cover, but it seems to be the best scan of the painting that I can find online. I didn't realize that Gigapixel existed when I started working on this project, so I originally went with a larger, poorer-quality scan, but now I'm rethinking that choice.

David Grigg

Mar 16, 2021, 1:51:24 AM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b2f4a1cb-e175-4a5c-938c-35b222cc29f1n%40googlegroups.com.

Weijia Cheng

Mar 16, 2021, 8:41:14 AM3/16/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks David, the new cover looks much better!

Weijia Cheng

Mar 19, 2021, 11:38:51 PM3/19/21
to Standard Ebooks
Like The Kreutzer Sonata, "Walk in the Light While There is Light" has some footnotes indicating textual variants of the story:

Should these go into our production? They actually seem quite interesting, and probably wouldn't add much work to the production, unlike with The Kreutzer Sonata where seemingly every other paragraph had a note.

Alex Cabal

Mar 20, 2021, 2:42:44 PM3/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, those are interesting and insightful. We didn't want the Kreutzer
ones because they were just wholesale alternative translations, and
generally we just want one translator's work on the matter.

On 3/19/21 10:38 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> [...]
>> It's not quite tall enough to be made into an SE cover, but it
>> seems to be the best scan of the painting that I can find
>> online. I didn't realize that Gigapixel existed when I started
>> working on this project, so I originally went with a larger,
>> poorer-quality scan, but now I'm rethinking that choice.
>>
>> On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 8:28:55 AM UTC-8 Alex Cabal wrote:
>>
>> You're probably right, crediting just the Modern Library
>> will be enough.
>> Make sure to search for a short sentence from the work,
>> not just the
>> title. Internet Archive and Google Books are also good
>> places to search
>> as each one has slightly differing catalogs.
>>
>> On 3/10/21 9:12 AM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
>> >  I have some questions about how to credit one of the

Weijia Cheng

Mar 20, 2021, 3:57:34 PM3/20/21
to Standard Ebooks
Another question: this translation of "Walk in the Light While There Is Light" consistently typesets direct quotations from the Bible in italics, e.g. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89012719043&view=2up&seq=404&size=125

Should I use unsemantic italics for these (<i></i>)? Or remove italics and quotation marks? https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.4.0/8-typography#8.2.1 suggests one or the other, but is there any preference? Do we just default to whatever is printed?

There are also two long blockquotes from the Bible, e.g. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89012719043&view=2up&seq=392&size=125

Shall I style these blockquotes with italics like they appear in print?

Alex Cabal

Mar 20, 2021, 8:05:55 PM3/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I would put quotation marks around these instead of italics. For the
blockquotes, you can remove italics because it's clear they are already
offset quotations.

On 3/20/21 2:57 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> [...]
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.4.0/8-typography#8.2.1 suggests one
> or the other, but is there any preference? Do we just default to
> whatever is printed?
>
> There are also two long blockquotes from the Bible, e.g.
> https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89012719043&view=2up&seq=392&size=125
>
> Shall I style these blockquotes with italics like they appear in print?
>
> On Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 11:42:44 AM UTC-7 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> Sure, those are interesting and insightful. We didn't want the Kreutzer
> ones because they were just wholesale alternative translations, and
> generally we just want one translator's work on the matter.
>
> On 3/19/21 10:38 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> > Like The Kreutzer Sonata, "Walk in the Light While There is
> Light" has
> > some footnotes indicating textual variants of the story:

Weijia Cheng

Mar 22, 2021, 10:38:10 PM3/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we have a standing policy that anything that is on Project Gutenberg is fair game, even if we can't find an appropriate source scan? PG has a transcription of Master and Man (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/986) translated by the Maudes but none of my searches have been able to come up with a transcription with a visible copyright date in the PD era. There is a mangled IA scan of a book with Master and Man that we could proofread against (https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.41079/page/n203/mode/2up) but a careful inspection of that book suggests that it was originally published in 1935 or later, so the date on IA is wrong: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.41079/page/n129/mode/2up. If PG is sufficient to establish that we can use it, I will continue with that; otherwise I will have to dig up some other (probably worse) translation.

Alex Cabal

Mar 22, 2021, 10:39:55 PM3/22/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Correct, you can use anything on PG. It's not uncommon to not be able to
find scans.

On 3/22/21 9:38 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we have a standing policy that anything
> that is on Project Gutenberg is fair game, even if we can't find an
> appropriate source scan? PG has a transcription of Master and Man
> (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/986
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/986>) translated by the Maudes but
> none of my searches have been able to come up with a transcription with
> a visible copyright date in the PD era. There /is/ a mangled IA scan of
> a book with Master and Man that we could proofread against
> (https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.41079/page/n203/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.41079/page/n203/mode/2up>) but
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a01be68f-09ac-4b89-bf11-1e3714df4087n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a01be68f-09ac-4b89-bf11-1e3714df4087n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/42c837b9-3e32-4156-a01e-6f3c7771168en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/42c837b9-3e32-4156-a01e-6f3c7771168en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince Rice

Mar 22, 2021, 10:47:05 PM3/22/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I had the same situation with War and Peace, also the Maudes. I would love to know where PG did their transcriptions from; I can only assume someone had a physical copy.

Weijia Cheng

Apr 11, 2021, 8:31:52 PM4/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
There are some footnotes attributed to "Ed." for "Walk in the Light While There is Light" that I believe were written by Nathan Haskell Dole. For the purposes of clarity, shall I change the citations to "Dole," following what is being done in the Paine discussion?

Alex Cabal

Apr 11, 2021, 9:41:23 PM4/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, especially since I assume you're compiling stories from different
editors and editions. You can write "N. H. Dole"

On 4/11/21 7:31 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> There are some footnotes attributed to "Ed." for "Walk in the Light
> While There is Light" that I believe were written by Nathan Haskell
> Dole. For the purposes of clarity, shall I change the citations to
> "Dole," following what is being done in the Paine discussion?
>
> On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 7:47:05 PM UTC-7 Vince Rice wrote:
>
> Yes, I had the same situation with /War and Peace/, also the Maudes.
> I would love to know where PG did their transcriptions from; I can
> only assume someone had a physical copy.
>
>> On Mar 22, 2021, at 9:38 PM, Weijia Cheng <weijia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but do we have a standing policy that
>> anything that is on Project Gutenberg is fair game, even if we
>> can't find an appropriate source scan? PG has a transcription of
>> Master and Man (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/986
>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/986>) translated by the Maudes
>> but none of my searches have been able to come up with a
>> transcription with a visible copyright date in the PD era. There
>> /is/ a mangled IA scan of a book with Master and Man that we could
>> proofread against
>> (https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.41079/page/n203/mode/2up
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.41079/page/n203/mode/2up>)
>> but a careful inspection of that book suggests that it was
>> originally published in 1935 or later, so the date on IA is wrong:
>> https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.41079/page/n129/mode/2up
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.41079/page/n129/mode/2up>.
>> If PG is sufficient to establish that we can use it, I will
>> continue with that; otherwise I will have to dig up some other
>> (probably worse) translation.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c00c7b64-7802-41da-be8c-ffee6397f975n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c00c7b64-7802-41da-be8c-ffee6397f975n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Apr 21, 2021, 12:27:53 AM4/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
I am getting to the end of this collection (yay!) and am starting to think about how to apply the finishing touches. One major issue I see is that this collection has 13 (!) different translators. I know roughly how to edit content.opf and such to accommodate that, but one issue I am running into generating the title page SVG. I tried creating a new draft with all of the translators:

wcheng@pop-os:~/git$ se create-draft -r "Louise Maude" "Aylmer Maude" "Nathan Haskell Dole" "Constance Garnett" "J. D. Duff" "Leo Weiner" "R. S. Townsend" "Benjamin Tucker" "Everyman’s Library" "Vladimir Chertkov" "Isabella Fyvie Mayo" -a "Leo Tolstoy" -t "Short Fiction"

I get this error though:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/wcheng/.local/bin/se", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/home/wcheng/.local/pipx/venvs/standardebooks/lib/python3.8/site-packages/se/main.py", line 64, in main
    sys.exit(getattr(module, command_function)())
  File "/home/wcheng/.local/pipx/venvs/standardebooks/lib/python3.8/site-packages/se/commands/create_draft.py", line 946, in create_draft
    _create_draft(args)
  File "/home/wcheng/.local/pipx/venvs/standardebooks/lib/python3.8/site-packages/se/commands/create_draft.py", line 762, in _create_draft
    file.write(_generate_titlepage_svg(title, [author["name"] for author in authors], contributors, title_string))
  File "/home/wcheng/.local/pipx/venvs/standardebooks/lib/python3.8/site-packages/se/commands/create_draft.py", line 198, in _generate_titlepage_svg
    contributor_lines.append([descriptor, _calculate_image_lines(contributor.upper(), TITLEPAGE_CONTRIBUTOR_HEIGHT, canvas_width)])
  File "/home/wcheng/.local/pipx/venvs/standardebooks/lib/python3.8/site-packages/se/commands/create_draft.py", line 125, in _calculate_image_lines
    words = _get_word_widths(string, target_height)
  File "/home/wcheng/.local/pipx/venvs/standardebooks/lib/python3.8/site-packages/se/commands/create_draft.py", line 102, in _get_word_widths
    width += int(LEAGUE_SPARTAN_100_WIDTHS[char] * target_height / 100) + LEAGUE_SPARTAN_KERNING + LEAGUE_SPARTAN_AVERAGE_SPACING
KeyError: "'"

This seems related to the quotation mark in "Everyman’s Library" somehow. If I delete the quotation mark, this command works. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just edit the SVG manually?

Alex Cabal

Apr 22, 2021, 2:13:45 PM4/22/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It looks like this is caused by the switch to unidecode. Unidecode also
converts rsquo to ' so we just have to switch it back before processing.
This fix is now in master.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c00c7b64-7802-41da-be8c-ffee6397f975n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c00c7b64-7802-41da-be8c-ffee6397f975n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3923cde2-efa5-442d-853d-bfa946808e5en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3923cde2-efa5-442d-853d-bfa946808e5en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Apr 24, 2021, 8:34:05 PM4/24/21
to Standard Ebooks
I see that in the step-by-step guide, there is the instruction "Spelling should be normalized across the work so that all instances of the same word are spelled in the same way."

Does "the work" here mean on a per-story basis, or per-ebook basis? Because there are multiple cases I have encountered so far where different translations use two different spellings of a word, both found in Merriam-Webster. For example:

"ruble" vs. "rouble" -- there was some discussion of this earlier, and I agree that this seems to be a US vs. UK spelling difference
"kopeck" vs. "kopek" vs. "copeck" -- there is also kopéyka which I am pretty sure is the Romanization of the original Russian word, based on the etymology of "kopeck" on M-W
"icon" vs. "ikon"
"astrakhan" vs. "astrachan"

All of these are found, some as variant spellings, in M-W. Do I just leave these as they are or should I normalize some of them? I think "icon" over "ikon" and "astrakhan" vs "astrachan" are fairly obvious choices given Google Ngrams:

"ruble" vs. "rouble" is pretty similar, probably because of the US/UK differences:

The three kopeck spellings are also pretty similar, apparently:

Weijia Cheng

Apr 24, 2021, 8:34:55 PM4/24/21
to Standard Ebooks
Sorry, to be clear I mean different stories, not different translations of the same story

Vince

Apr 24, 2021, 11:47:09 PM4/24/21
to Standard Ebooks
Without weighing in on what you should do here (that’s for Alex), “the work” is referring to the work being produced, i.e. the entire ebook. Section 6: “The file we downloaded contains the entire work… To split the work… and so on throughout the rest of the guide.

Alex Cabal

Apr 25, 2021, 2:53:15 PM4/25/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
icon vs ikon is changed by modernize-spelling IIRC

You can leave US/GB differences alone, like ruble vs rouble. However the
rest are good candidates for consistency across the whole ebook.

On 4/24/21 7:34 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> I see that in the step-by-step guide, there is the instruction "Spelling
> should be normalized across the work so that all instances of the same
> word are spelled in the same way."
>
> Does "the work" here mean on a per-story basis, or per-ebook basis?
> Because there are multiple cases I have encountered so far where
> different translations use two different spellings of a word, both found
> in Merriam-Webster. For example:
>
> "ruble" vs. "rouble" -- there was some discussion of this earlier, and I
> agree that this seems to be a US vs. UK spelling difference
> "kopeck" vs. "kopek" vs. "copeck" -- there is also /kopéyka/ which I am
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3923cde2-efa5-442d-853d-bfa946808e5en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3923cde2-efa5-442d-853d-bfa946808e5en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/406d6fcb-a6a8-400f-a9d0-3faf4d1172d2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/406d6fcb-a6a8-400f-a9d0-3faf4d1172d2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Apr 25, 2021, 6:30:44 PM4/25/21
to Standard Ebooks
After half a year of work on this, the collection is finally ready for review! https://github.com/weijia-cheng/leo-tolstoy_short-fiction

Most of the collection is pretty straightforward prose, but there are two works in drama form ("The Wisdom of Children" and "Traveller and Peasant") that I think need a bit more attention than the rest. My bibliography spreadsheet will be helpful if you want to look at the scans: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ArL5dfX30wa_ook1djY0AYyR191NFpv0U7IoAO2_c84/edit?usp=sharing

Some fun facts about this collection:
  • 670k words (that's about 100k more than War and Peace!)
  • 12 different translators (is that a record?)
  • 31 different sources (a little inflated because sometimes a single printed source corresponds to multiple transcriptions for different stories)
  • An unfortunate amount of transcription from OCR--I wouldn't be surprised if at least a third of this collection was done by me manually. I figured out a pretty good workflow by the end and I think I've caught almost all of the typos, but obviously there's no guarantee.
It's been really nice being able to work on this and having something useful to spend all of my quarantine free time on. I think I might stick to less convoluted productions in the future, though ;)

Alex Cabal

Apr 26, 2021, 8:47:51 PM4/26/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've looked this over and this looks very very good. No major things
to point out. Great work!

This is a huge production--just short of Chekhov's Short Fiction which I
remember was a real pain in the butt. Congrats on putting it all
together and with such attention to detail!

On 4/25/21 5:30 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> After half a year of work on this, the collection is finally ready for
> review! https://github.com/weijia-cheng/leo-tolstoy_short-fiction
>
> Most of the collection is pretty straightforward prose, but there are
> two works in drama form ("The Wisdom of Children" and "Traveller and
> Peasant") that I think need a bit more attention than the rest. My
> bibliography spreadsheet will be helpful if you want to look at the
> scans:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ArL5dfX30wa_ook1djY0AYyR191NFpv0U7IoAO2_c84/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Some fun facts about this collection:
>
> * 670k words (that's about 100k more than /War and Peace/!)
> * 12 different translators (is that a record?)
> * 31 different sources (a little inflated because sometimes a single
> printed source corresponds to multiple transcriptions for different
> stories)
> * An unfortunate amount of transcription from OCR--I wouldn't be
> surprised if at least a third of this collection was done by me
> manually. I figured out a pretty good workflow by the end and I
> /think/ I've caught almost all of the typos, but obviously there's
> <https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=icon%2C+ikon&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=26&smoothing=3&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cicon%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cikon%3B%2Cc0>
>

> https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=astrakhan%2C+astrachan&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=26&smoothing=3&direct_url=t1%3B%2Castrakhan%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Castrachan%3B%2Cc0
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/406d6fcb-a6a8-400f-a9d0-3faf4d1172d2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/406d6fcb-a6a8-400f-a9d0-3faf4d1172d2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3985b1de-0a21-45de-9d90-aed1c3239522n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3985b1de-0a21-45de-9d90-aed1c3239522n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Apr 26, 2021, 8:50:56 PM4/26/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Also, I'm very pleased with the cover art. Good find

Weijia Cheng

May 8, 2021, 8:59:00 AM5/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Alex, would you accept an editorial PR that standardizes the chapter headings? There are some stories that use a "Chapter X" format when most just use "X." It seems to be a bit inconsistent and unappealing, but I was following the source texts. Can I just change them all to use "X"?

Alex Cabal

May 8, 2021, 2:20:37 PM5/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

May 8, 2021, 6:44:47 PM5/8/21
to Standard Ebooks

When I lint it says the word count is wrong--I actually don't know how to update the word count with the correct value so you might have to do that right after merging

David Grigg

May 8, 2021, 8:43:14 PM5/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Word count and release date are set by Alex on release.